Caffeine?

Options
When did all my gastric byapss friends start drinking caffeine again? I am dying and could use just a half cup in the morning. With a toddler and running my own business it is sometimes a struggle to get enough sleep. :-/

Replies

• risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks out of RNY but I don't dare start again. Despite passing Dunkin Donuts twice a day and loving the aroma of fresh ground coffee, I don't dare. It took me nearly 5 mo. to drop coffee - and I'm not a pure drinker - I love the added cream and sugar. So for now, it's off limits. I'll be taking my Previcid twice daily until 12 weeks - if not longer (little things like baby carrots and hummus do not agree with my new stomach). I don't dare test it with coffee quite yet! Good luck.
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am only 2 weeks post op. With my surgeon's permission, I am drinking one cup daily of decaf. It makes me happy.
  • jmurphyaz
    jmurphyaz Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks. I need caffeine, so decaf isn't doing it for me. Even tea. I guess I will call the doc, I was just wondering if anyone had already been cleared...
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you are still drinking the protein shakes, but you could just put a bit of instant decaf into the shake or into pudding or whatever and you would have the flavor. as for the energy I am at a loss, cause I gave up diet pepsi for this and am excited I did.

I have not had surgery yet, as you know mine is next week, I have both decaf and full caf instant and I use the caff one in the morn, but like 4 days b4 surg I am cutting it out as well.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I found a protein drink called Athletes Honey Milk Light--Coffee Flavored. 20g of protein 11g of carbs and 150mg of caffeine. Tastes very much like the bottled Starbucks drinks. Yum!

My doc/nutritionist will only know about the caffeine if I tell them!
  • slfam
    slfam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am probably going to be very unpopular for saying this but no one NEEDS caffeine! It is an addiction just like alcohol, ciggies or food. We are here trying to break our addiction from food and caffeine is another one that needs to be broken. It is not healthy for us and should be avoided at all costs. I know it is hard to get yourself going in the morning or to keep yourself going throughout the day but it can be done without stimulants. Don't give in just because you see others doing it!
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey Jaime, I was under the impression that we get that back at our two month check up when we get grains beef etc.
  • jmurphyaz
    jmurphyaz Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback! Susan - I think you're right on the 2 month timeframe. I can hold out until then :) T-28days. Maybe I'll get my energy back and won't "need ;-)" caffeine!

XOXO
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been off the site for a week, how have you been doing with the caffeine cravings Jaime? I am really starting to miss my coffee too now, but mostly miss it at breakfast, not half an hour later when I have to head to work! One of my incisions started to get a little red and tender so they put me on an antibiotic for a few days, but other wise doing well. Reading some of the posts of the other ladies on here I think we are so lucky that we have laparoscopic and a doc that lets us eat right until surgery then a week later!!
  • syb_227
    syb_227 Posts: 7
    Options
    I didn't incorporate caffeine back into my diet until one-year post-op RNY gastric bypass.
  • mandysmovin
    Options
    I live off of coffee!!! My Dr. never said I couldnt drink it!! I am going to have to research this now :)

I think I get most of my liquids thru coffee? I am almost three years out.
  • mz_hartbreaka
    mz_hartbreaka Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    they never said i culdnt drink it. ive had mine done for a yr and half now.. it was all bout everything in moderation.. i thnk i started driinking it prob a week after my surgery,and i was having one every morning.. lol i needed it haha
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    They say that caffeine causes some people to crave sweets. I didn't do it for a long while but finally tried it and it didn't add to my cravings. I only drink one cup each morning.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I drink 4 large mugs a day, which is about 8 regular sized cups. I started drinking coffee again when I was about 6 months out. It's my guilty pleasure : )

My surgeon also said it could bring on cravings, but it doesn't for me.