Carbs

Options
sondra216379
sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
What do you consider low carb and what do you consider medium carbs? I tried to do 60 or less carbs but I felt HORRIBLE, So I upped it to 80-100.

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    the only carbs I have is found naturally in fruit and veg portions that I have I class that as low carb as NO other additional carbs like bread, rice, pasta, etc .. maybe I'd class it medium if I allowed gluten free bread once a week or something and potato once a week.

To be honest I don't know what these portions are in grams, just cutting wheat worked for me and building up the amount of time I can exercise for.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    When I was doing low carb, my dietician had me set my ratios at: 13% Carb, 62% Fat and 25% Protein. The theory about low carb is to give your body more fat and it will change to burning fat instead of burning glucose (carbs). MFP doesn't support odd percentages in calorie ratios, so I used 15% carb, 60% fat and 25% Protein.

You won't feel as bad if you go low carb, but increase your fat. If you can eat dairy, that means you can eat cheese! Avocados are a good source of fat -- but they have carbs, too so don't overdue. Olives, macadamia nuts, etc are a good source of fat also.

You can go to your "Goals" page in MFP and set the ratios and then track it that way. But if you go low carb and low fat, you will definitely feel like crap - your body has a hard time using protein as fuel!
  • loulou0612
    loulou0612 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes if you decrease your carbs you need to increase your fats, Your body naturally burns Carbs first then fats and then protein....So if you decrease your carbs your body needs the additional fat for energy, Just make sure you get it from healthier fats, olive oils, nuts, avocados ets.....
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I do much better eating less starches!! I also noticed I got very bloated from wheat, even though I ate good that day I was bloated.anybody else have this? I ate spaghetti last night ( its been a long time) now this morning Im bloated . Im still in the underactive thyroid range , I have hashimoto's BTW. I get new labs in a few weeks and hope for an increase, Im so tired and seem to be getting more hypo the last month, in January My TSH was 5.8 , went down because of meds in November it was 7.5...Im not losing , go figure! I think when you have hypo or hyper carbs are worse for you (not talking about veggies and fruit) I am walking proof , never been fluffy until I got Hashi's..and I ate carbs whenever I wanted to then....hope you find a balance!
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Heads up ... if you decide you are going to do low carb then give it some time. Most people report feeling crappy for the first few days - weeks. You need to give it a fair shake. Two days of feeling crappy won't give you a true feeling of how it will be. I am doing the Ketogenic diet (LCHF) and I can tell you I felt HORRIBLE the first few days. It has been months now and I LOVE IT! Your body needs time to adjust to the withdrawal of carbs and ADD fat. Good luck!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Carbs will make you feel and sometimes look bloated -- I think that's because they attract and hold on to water. Carbs from pasta, bread, bagels, etc. will stay with you for a long time -- for me then end up on my middle!! So, I just don't eat them! :laugh:
  • lachinn
    lachinn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I did lose, with the thyroid issues, by doing low carb. My doc said do carb in am only and then do salads and if you must, a plum as they are low carb fruit. I try to do that, but fail. Perhaps I should go back to that. I did drop a lot in two months.
  • damannwrite
    Options
    15g is one carb unit, so if you were doing 60g, that's only 2 units, which is VERY low