New here, friends, question..??

Options
Osie0129
Osie0129 Posts: 11 Member
Hello everyone,
im new to this group and just getting back on the wagon on MFP, im looking for friends who can offer support and encouragement since we are all kind of in the same boat...i was also wondering if anyone had any information about alternative methods to treating hypothyroid?? i was on levothyroxine?? but havnt been very good about taking my medication since it makes me feel like poo "/ idk how bad that is but i am planning on seeing an endo soon. im clueless when it comes to this stuff :(

friends and advice would be great.

xoxo

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for life so I guess I don't know anything else, but I do feel a difference if they are too high or too low.

If you 'haven't been very good about taking it' I assume you aren't taking enough and probably why you feel like poo as you say. If you are feeling very foggy and exhausted the dose may not be high enough, how long have you been on them?

There isn't anything really in nature that can replace the thyroxine better than medication and stopping taking it will make you feel worse as your body will have even less thyroxine to feed all your cells with and make everything work, your metabolism will grind to an halt and the weight will pile on further unfortunately.

Some people do better on armour thyroxine but I understand you have to get the timings right of taking it and take it more often as there are more dips in levels than the synthetic version which is more stable and I can get away with missing a dose if i forget as it stays in the bloodstream longer.

You might need a combination pill T3/T4, ask them to check your T3 levels too and TSH, sometimes they only check for T4 to save costs. (especially if your on NHS in UK)
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Osie0129 check out the website stopthethyroidmadness.com - it is a weath of information and will gives you information on medications available so you can prepare yourself for your endo appointment.

If your medication makes you feel worse rather than better you need to try something else.

I have tried several synthetic medications and they also made me feel like *kitten*. I take armour thyroid, it is what works best for me but everyone is different.

I disagree with the information given by a previous poster that synthetics are more stable. That is a myth. The dessciated thyroid products manufactured in the United States follow the same USP standards.
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    Hi, I was also on Levothyroxine and stopped taking it as it made me feel like, to use your words, poo too! I'm now on Armour and feel so much better than I have in years!
    I have around 50 pounds to lose now, but I know I'll get there!
    feel free to add me :)
  • hope2webb
    Options
    Hello!

New to the group..I am hypothyroid..Since being diagnosed back in 2002 (I read about it in a magazine and had all the symtoms..so made my dr. check) I had been taking synthroid..which seemed to work..then decided to go on levothyroxine (for cost) and that seemed to put me on a "roller coaster" effect at times ..So anyway..up to speed...back and forth on meds..having my med levels raised and lowered (am now on .88 synthroid) I am still at a loss! I feel like I am doing something wrong! I am wondering if it is my green tea "addiction" that could have an affect on all this....or I have read that diet and exercises can play a role too! I did go to the web site that seaglass2 suggested...now I am considering asking my doc about switching to armour thyroid...is it still actually available? Does my local pharmacy carry it? What all tests should I have my doc do and not just TSH..I have asked for the t3/t4 in the past..not sure if I asked for the right ones? Or if there are any others I should be requesting? I just HATE this problem!! I feel like I am being sabotaged at every angle! Thanks for listening and I am glad I found this group..Thanks!
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have had an extremely low thyroid since Oct 1992. Still working at trying to feel good most of the time. I am on Synthroid because I can't get Armour where I am, and they don't want me switching all around. I am always looking for more natural help and finding a way to feel 'good' every day.

The best thing really is exercise and knowledge, find out what works for your body, what foods, what medication, exercise and what doctor has your best interest. Do everything YOU can to work with what you have been given. Here is a link that talks about how exercise help thyroid function (or lack there of). http://www.lifetoolsforwomen.com/w/8-hormones.htm

Anyone with more help, support and suggestions please comment and share, that is how we all become more knowledgeable.

Have a great day!
    and
    TAKE YOUR MEDS and get some fresh air!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Agree -- exercise can be our saving grace - we just have to muscle through it on bad days. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to try to battle thyroid issues without some sort of medication - the choice is synthetic or natural. I'm transitioning right now to Armour... I've had a rough time because my Hashi antibodes went crazy after a 3 week long cold... my Antibodies have doubled and my TSH is also high. So, we're dealing with that, but I can't imagine trying to do it without any meds.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I know of no substitute for thyroid hormones in nature. I have been on 3 different med, cytomel (generic), synthroid (generic), and now Armour Thyroid. The cytomel is a T3 replacement. T3 is the active form of the thyroid hormone that actually gives you energy. I felt like poo taking it, and I gained a ton of weight. Synthroid, aka levothyroxine, is a T4 replacement. Your body has to convert the T4 to T3 to use it, and it's harder on your body to do so. I felt ok, but never great on it. And one thing to note, the generics DO NOT have the same standard for purity as the brand name. Therefore there is a lot more variety in what you get. As for Armour, it's a natural dessicated thyroid. It provides all the thyroid hormones, so you have some as T3 and some as T4, as well as the T1 and T2 we don't hear much about. The cytomel you have to take multiple times on a regular schedule through out the day. The synthroid was always once a day for me. The Armour is also once a day. I take it just like I took my levothyroxine. I haven't felt this good in ages!

When getting the bloodwork, TSH only tells you a part of the story. Free T3 and Free T4 are equally, if not more, important. They will tell the doctors if you have trouble converting T4 to T3, and they will show why you have no energy (low T3). The bloodwork should be done about once every 3 months until you are close to being on the right dose. Then it goes to every 6 months to a year, and once everything is settled, just if something changes. That's the theory anyway. I was diagnosed sub-clinical hypothyroid in 2008, and I'm still getting bloodwork done for it every 3 months! By the way, some recent research has shown that the "normal" range for TSH should be reduced to 0.5-2.0 instead of the 1.0-4.0 most labs say (I've seen some that say 1.0-5.0!). Personally, I don't feel good unless my TSH is under 1. Personal experience!

Hope some of this information is useful!
  • seaglass2
    Options
    :smile:
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Everyone has offered great info and advice. I agree that you probably need some type of medicine, but it will take time to find out what works for you. It involves having a doctor, endocrinologist, who has an intimate knowledge of the meds. and who is able to listen to you and be sympathetic. It is good to be assertive with the doctor and let him or her know what you need.
  • nspink
    nspink Posts: 65
    Options
    I use to only take levothyroxine and I could just die, I was so depressed and felt so fatigue I couldn't explain it. I just wasn't myself anymore. No passion for life. T3 is the Active form of thyriod replacement and it literally changed my life. I LOVE IT! The one i'm on is Cytomel. So, I'm on a combo of T4 and T3. I suggest you visit your endo and get a updated labs and see where your at, and talk to your endo about adding T3! Everyone is different, and there are a few other brands but you don't know how it is for you unless you try it. Best of Luck! I hope you start feeling better!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile: I love this thread. I just started on Armour and on a low dose (due to Reverse T3 issues)... but I am so hopeful and so looking forward to feeling good!! Hats off to you that are looking for alternatives to synthetic T4!! I applaud you and can't wait to have a good news story of feeling great!!
  • Osie0129
    Osie0129 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for all the useful infortmation!!
    im def going to bring up the armour or just any alternatives to what ive taken in the past to the endo.

i brought it (armour) up to my gen. dr just asking about it trying to get more information and if any patients have responded well to it and she basiclly blew me off and gave me the impression that it was what the "hippies took" and pretty much told me it was to much of a hassle and i was better off with what i was taking....um obviously not because im asking for somthine else LAdY! anyway needless to say...i dropped her. lol.
  • ouray12
    ouray12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Find another endo! After being on synthoid along for 27 years after a thyroidectomy and 2 additional surgeries for mets, I brought up cytomel at my last MDA checkup on Feb. 1st. Endo said no problem. We can try it and see if it makes a difference. It's been maybe the best three weeks in years! Lots of energy and just a feeling of being well and the whatever my body was missing has been found.

Had a hysterectomy 8 years ago and was convinced the lack of estrogen was the problem. Couldn't take the patch as it doubled my tumor marker. Imagine my surprise. Forget the estrogen, cytomel is great. I take one about 9:30 in the morning and it last me all day. Wish I'd started it years ago.

Karen
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm new here. Didn't know about this group until I read another Post on another Group.
    I've been having Thyroid problems for years. I'm on Synthoid-I can't take the Generic stuff.
    Weight problems -Yes. it seems I'm constantly fighting to lose weight.
    Exercise more now than I ever have. Even joined Anytime Fitness to help me.
    Also have Respiratory problems & Asthma.
    Also, turning 66 yrs. old in a couple days. So I'm NO Spring Chicken here.
    So any support I can get from all of you is important to me.
    Thanks for having this Group.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I'm new here. Didn't know about this group until I read another Post on another Group.
    I've been having Thyroid problems for years. I'm on Synthoid-I can't take the Generic stuff.

Welcome, Shirlann - this is a very supportive group -- helping each other do deal with thyroidwww. disease. I also took Synthroid for many years, but now transitioning to Amour Natural Dessicated Thyroid. Many of us use the stopthethyroidmadness.com website for information about how to win the war of the thyroid!! You may want to check it out!

Terri
    p.s. Having my 60th birthday this year - so I no how you feel!!
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody. I just found this group from a post on the community page. I was diagnosed Hashimoto's hypothyroid about 10 years ago and put on levothyroxine. In some ways it was a blessing finding out what was wrong with me, but I was having a very difficult time finding a good level of the medication. The doctor I was seeing was willing to do the bloodwork every 4-6 weeks and continued to increase my dosage. It seemed I would feel more energetic for 2-3 weeks and then plummet back to the exhausted, foggy state I had been in before diagnosis. I changed doctors because of health insurance and the new doctor wanted me to try Armour thyroid. For about 2 weeks I was miserable, like I had no thyroid in my system, but then it kicked in. I had to go through getting the dose right and am now on 150 mg. daily for the last several years. I take 90 mg in the morning and 60 in the evening. If I forget, I just take it all in the evening, but I feel better if I take it spread out. I have felt much better on the Armour than on the levothyroxine. The only time it was a problem was when there was a shortage and I couldn't get it, so I was having T4 and T3 compounded at a pharmacist to my doctor's orders. I didn't feel as well then and my bloodwork showed I was difficient in all levels.

I am 55 years old and probably had been low thyroid most of my life. Pains and symptoms I had since I was a small child got better after getting the thyroid diagnosed and treated. After I was diagnosed, my mother and both my daughters were diagnosed with the condition. My 21 year old daughter has fought it, refusing to be dependent on medication for the rest of her life, but her symptoms are becoming severe enough that she is ready to try. (Hair loss, digestive issues, female issues, infections, tiredness, etc.)

About 8 years ago, I started seeing a doctor of osteopathy. She takes time to listen to my symptoms, concerns, and what's going on in my life. The blood work she orders checks for just about everything that can be checked. Then she asks me if I want to treat with holistic or western medicine or lifestyle changes if there is a choice available. She makes suggestions of things I can do with my diet and lifestyle, supplements I can take to help with energy, etc. She explains what every thing she wants to treat is and why. I get all of this in writing as I leave so I can sort it out later. She is even available for a phone consultation in the evening if I have a concern for no additional charge. If you don't have a doctor that will listen and look for your personal right level of thyroid supplement, keep looking. There are other doctors out there. I have been very fortunate but that's because I have searched for and chosen doctors that would listen even before I know about the thyroid condition.

Like others here, I limit dairy, don't eat gluten, and try to avoid soy as much as possible. I am type 2 diabetic and suffer from many food and airborn allergies, so I am careful to eat a healthy diet. It makes a difference in how i feel overall. As I am losing weight my energy levels increase. It will be interesting to see what my bloodwork shows when I go back to the doctor in a couple of months.
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Terri

Welcome, Shirlann - this is a very supportive group -- helping each other do deal with thyroidwww. disease. I also took Synthroid for many years, but now transitioning to Amour Natural Dessicated Thyroid. Many of us use the stopthethyroidmadness.com website for information about how to win the war of the thyroid!! You may want to check it out!

Terri
    p.s. Having my 60th birthday this year - so I no how you feel!!
    [/quote]
  • birdclaw
    birdclaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in December of last year my TSH was 10.450 so I got started on Levothyroxin 50 mcg a day. I had read all the symptoms of hypothyroidism and honestly didn't feel that bad. I was surprised my level was so off. I went back in February to get my levels checked and was down to a normal TSH level of 3.390 and a T4 of 1.03 but my doctor wants my TSH to be around 2.5 so she increased my dose to 75 mcg. After months of this I have seen no changes at all. I might even be more tired. How long does it take to "feel awesome"?
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I took Synthroid for 15 years and never felt awesome!! There may be others on this forum that take synthetic T4 replacement that feel good, but I had all my symptoms all those years, while the doctors were telling me my lab tests were in the normal range.

I am now transitioning to Armour Natural Dessicated Thyroid -- most people transition very well, but it's a challenge for me, due to my age and other health problems.

I truly hope that Levothyroxin helps you -- it does help some.

Terri
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's been close to 20 years for me and I have NEVER felt awsome since I was diagnosed. I have found the generic works just the same as Synthroid....but after reading this, I am gonna ask about Armour.