Do you combine devotions with exercise?

Options
grassette
grassette Posts: 976 Member
I was reading at Catholic Digest article some time ago where a woman was describing her walks, where she says her rosary. Recently I've taken to my treadmill regularly at 3:00 pm when ETWN has on the Divine Mercy Litany followed by the Rosary with a little talk by a Franciscan in between.

Do you pray and exercise at the same time? If not, what is your favorite devotion?

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I used to say the rosary while running, but not so much any more.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I pray while walking all the time. We work out at a YMCA, so I also get to listen to Christian music!
  • freder1ck
    freder1ck Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I started to exercise in the last couple of years, I felt that exercise was extremely banal. I'm reminded by something Fr. Giussani says in The Risk of Education: "to walk without direction is perceived as a waste of time by a lively and vibrant mind." So, I started by walking 15 or 20 minutes at a time, praying the Rosary (or other prayers), and begging for life, more life. When I was in college, there was a Jesuit who would walk around the Quad saying his Rosary.

Now, I'm walking 60-80 minutes a day, and I really treasure the silence, the opportunity to reflect on the events of the day and to listen to the world around me. Lately, I've been listening to Fr. Seraphim Beshoner's history podcasts— something else I have difficulty making time for (http://catholicunderthehood.com/)
  • MaryAnn678
    MaryAnn678 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My favorite devotion will always be Mary's rosary, I say it in English and Italian. I love to spend my mornings with Mary and Jesus with a cup of coffee. Walking outside I usually meditate on the beauty of God's green earth, and thank God for what he's done for me in my life, sometimes I have said the rosary but it's harder to concentrate on the rosary when I walk outside. On the treadmill at the gym it's so noisy I can't even hear myself think let alone pray...unless I pray for quiet. (TV, rock music piped in, aerobic room music all combined). Yup, coffee in the morning with Mary and Jesus is the best especially when sitting on my outside porch.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, there was a Jesuit who would walk around the Quad saying his Rosary.
    Where did you go to college? I work at a Jesuit high school and we have a beautiful quad here! My oldest son attended Loyola University of Chicago and I have a sophomore at Marquette now.
  • grassette
    Options
    Praying while exercising gets us pretty close to St Paul when he said that we must pray without ceasing.
  • freder1ck
    freder1ck Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    macpatti: I did Rockhurst in Kansas City for undergrad, and Fordham in NYC for my MA in English. While at Fordham, I had an Ignatian retreat with Fr. Koterski (at the Shrine of the North American Martyrs in Auriesville), which was very helpful.
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I am at the gym on the treadmill, I listen to an audio Bible. I am listening to it in chronological order. I'm going to check out the podcast mentioned by an earlier poster for something different.
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    When I walk in our neighborhood I pray the Our Father, Hail Mary & Glory Be continuously until I get home. :happy: We also have a track around the soccer complex outside near our house and I usually do the same thing when I walk around there but it's only when I'm by myself.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    oddly, some mornings i listen to divine office morning prayer while on the ebike...
  • grassette
    Options
    oddly, some mornings i listen to divine office morning prayer while on the ebike...

What a great idea!
  • jerber160
    Options
    When I am at the gym on the treadmill, I listen to an audio Bible. I am listening to it in chronological order. I'm going to check out the podcast mentioned by an earlier poster for something different.
    [/ interesting.. who knew the made an audio biblequote]
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like to walk outdoors for exercise - I use the time to converse with God - sorta like a walking partner :)
    Sometimes I talk to my Dad who is now in Heaven as well.
    I've always liked journaling on paper, putting down thoughts and feelings. Now I just do it mentally and sometimes even audibly :)
    Sometimes I just let my mind wander or almost go blank, which is somewhat like meditation.
    There's just nothing as relaxing as a nice long walk - I find it a great stress reliever!
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When I walk the treadmill I like to do my Rosary and Divine Mercy chaplet, then some personal prayers and maybe a St. Michael prayer and a Memoriarie. It really makes a half hour go fast.
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hadn't thought about it much, but since I recently started lifting heavy, the rest periods between sets would be an excellent time to get some prayer time in and unite my suffering, however self imposed, to Christ. I think I'll start doing that.
  • grassette
    Options
    Hadn't thought about it much, but since I recently started lifting heavy, the rest periods between sets would be an excellent time to get some prayer time in and unite my suffering, however self imposed, to Christ. I think I'll start doing that.

Salt and Light recently had a program where you could meditate on the Passion of Christ while weight lifting in a serious manner. And there is prayer between the sets to time out your rests. Check out The Catholic Workout here: http://saltandlighttv.org/blog/general/working-out-in-the-new-year
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like to do Stations of the Cross while I walk the dogs. I walk to a corner, stop and pray a station.
  • jerber160
    Options
    on an additional note. do you pray when you cook? My mother never baked anything without checking what was in the oven and murmuring, "aren't they beautiful? God bless them." Pizzelles take one Hail Mary ( depending on the iron) and so does breaded calimari- at least to get them nice and tender.
  • catrose66
    catrose66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I do my couch to 5k workout on the treadmill I listen to an mp3 recording of the chaplet of Saint Michael.
  • irishspring57
    Options
    What a great idea - God Bless you - Keep up the good work (and praying):happy: