YOGA

Options
esteelewis
esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
Have any of you tried Yoga?

I have been too afraid to try it because 1) I am not flexible and 2) I am over 300 lbs.

I am too afraid that I won't be able to do the poses (which look to be exceedingly difficult if you are overweight). Just wondering if any other 300+ gals/guys have tried it and what your thoughts are? Were you able to actually do the poses? Did you enjoy it? Was it relaxing or just a difficult and stressful?

Thoughts?

Replies

• BrokenAlice
    BrokenAlice Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've do some Yoga at home but have not gone to any classes. There's lots of videos online that you could use in the comfort of your own home as you try the poses and see what works for you.

Be sure to get one of those "yoga bricks/blocks"(or you could use a large book) - they really help when beginning to learn the poses and work on your flexability. You can use it any time you need that extra help when you can't reach your toes or you can't bend all the way to the side and keep balance.

Here's a video example of what I mean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTCUmXX7DFI
  • esteelewis
    Options
    I've do some Yoga at home but have not gone to any classes. There's lots of videos online that you could use in the comfort of your own home as you try the poses and see what works for you.

Be sure to get one of those "yoga bricks/blocks"(or you could use a large book) - they really help when beginning to learn the poses and work on your flexability. You can use it any time you need that extra help when you can't reach your toes or you can't bend all the way to the side and keep balance.

Here's a video example of what I mean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTCUmXX7DFI

Thanks! I didn't even think of using blocks! That would make a lot of the poses infinitely easier in my mind. I have 0 flexibility...actually I probably have negative 20 flexibility. And not sure I could even hold a downward dog pose. So I think that the blocks provide a great alternative! Thank you!
  • BrokenAlice
    Options
    This is another video that shows examples of how to use a Yoga Strap - Nice to see a plus sized person using it:

http://youtu.be/GwXuG5YxBDY

Enjoy!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Ive done yoga, in classes and dvd's. At my weight I do not find it peaceful. But it does give me something to work towards, it does get easier the more you do it.
  • esteelewis
    Options
    Ive done yoga, in classes and dvd's. At my weight I do not find it peaceful. But it does give me something to work towards, it does get easier the more you do it.

I think that may be the key...working towards it actually becoming peaceful and easier. I am guessing if i don't keep trying I will never build up my strength, endurance and flexibility. So I may as well struggle through it for now. I have heard that pilates may be a good thing to start also. So I may look into that.

I think i need to get a pair of those yoga straps!
  • heatherlbeebe
    Options
    I am at 303 pounds right now, down 4 pounds in a week! Yoga is super helpful! I don't do the poses as well as a super skinny flexible person, but I find it to be relaxing and peaceful. There is one DVD that is wonderful. Gary Bromley's Flexibility, Fitness, Relaxation yoga class.
    http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Class-Flexibility-Fitness-Relaxation/dp/B000NTMI9Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    I love love love this DVD. I did a bunch of zumba (like an hour) and my knees were KILLING me, but then I did this yoga class an hour before bed and not only did it make my knees feel better it helped me go to sleep more easily. With practice it does get easier. Plus at my weight 45 minutes of yoga burns 286 calories!
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    HELLO!

I've been thinking the same thing and at 330 pounds, I was thinking that Yoga was not even an option! I've done some research and actually found a class in my area called "Yoga for Bigger Bodies"...haven't gone yet, but I plan on it.

I was also thinking that being able to do it in my own home may be the best option at first...just until I sort of felt it out (I've never done ANY yoga before) and found this DVD on Netflix: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Just_My_Size_Yoga_with_Megan_Garcia/70020568?trkid=2361637

It's in my queue! If you check it out, let me know what you think!

Good luck! AND GO FOR IT!!!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I used to have that DVD, it is really nice for beginners! I did that first, then started going to classes.
  • esteelewis
    Options
    All of these posts are so helpful.
    I am looking up the DVDs, links and and articles that everyone has posted. I think that I just needed to find something more geared to my level and didn't know that the modified moves were actually out there.
    I wish we had a class or instructor that was able to work with bigger girls. For now I will just use the videos and links provided.
  • BrokenAlice
    Options
    Starchike's post reminded me that I own the Just My Size Yoga video, I dug it out of my DVD collection and used it for the first time in a LONG time. The full program (warmup, workout, and cooldown) is aprox 30 mins in length. I fast-forwarded it to remind myself what poses were in it and was thinking "This is toooooo easy!". Well I then restarted the program and did it from beginning to end. BOY are my muscles tired! For a beginner (or a re-beginner like me) this was great.

I did a little research and it seems someone has uploaded the entire 3 parts here: http://www.youtube.com/user/yogasalutations#grid/user/CEA8AA27BCAD5620

Enjoy!
  • katwj76
    katwj76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do chair yoga and water yoga at my gym and I'm 327. I hate looking in the mirror but it eases the back pain from my fibromyalgia and then I go home and take a fabulous nap before I get my girls from school!
  • esteelewis
    Options
    Starchike's post reminded me that I own the Just My Size Yoga video, I dug it out of my DVD collection and used it for the first time in a LONG time. The full program (warmup, workout, and cooldown) is aprox 30 mins in length. I fast-forwarded it to remind myself what poses were in it and was thinking "This is toooooo easy!". Well I then restarted the program and did it from beginning to end. BOY are my muscles tired! For a beginner (or a re-beginner like me) this was great.

I did a little research and it seems someone has uploaded the entire 3 parts here: http://www.youtube.com/user/yogasalutations#grid/user/CEA8AA27BCAD5620

Enjoy!

Katwj- I will need to look at chair yoga too...or water yoga! I bet I would be way more flexible in water...since part of the problem I have is the gravity and weight weighing me down!
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    @alice: NICE! thanks for sharing, I'm def going to check that out to see if it would be a good purchase!

I just received a dvd from netflix called "yoga for the rest of us" ill let u all know how it goes!
  • djlindstrom
    Options
    I want to try it, but am not confident enough to set foot into a classroom at this point. Maybe when I am half way through the 200s I'll give it a whirl. Going to check out that "Just my Size Yoga" that was mentioned in this tread though. It'll be a break from the treadmill.

So happy I found this group.

:wink:
  • djlindstrom
    Options
    Got word from Amazon today that my "Jusy My Size Yoga" dvd is on it's way!