Favorite exercise

Options
forme2310
forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
Hello All,

Just to keep the voice going and I am always looking for new exercises what is your favorite exercise or exercise program?

I love to do the elliptical but right now do not have a gym membership due to finances so hoping in a few months will be able to afford my own elliptical that way I will have it. In the meantime I am walking with my canine and doing Leslie Sanstone tapes.

Oh well have a great day time for work doing overtime today.

Have a great day and weekend all

Replies

• DACouture1979
    Options
    Hello All,

Just to keep the voice going and I am always looking for new exercises what is your favorite exercise or exercise program?

I love to do the elliptical but right now do not have a gym membership due to finances so hoping in a few months will be able to afford my own elliptical that way I will have it. In the meantime I am walking with my canine and doing Leslie Sanstone tapes.

Oh well have a great day time for work doing overtime today.

Have a great day and weekend all

I do the Elliptical I got horrible shin splints even when I was at my intended weight so I really can't run on a treadmill, track, etc.

With my traveling schedule it's impossible for me to join any kind of local fitness club and / or work out classes so I'm basically on my own with this.

Right after I got out of the service in 2008 I gained a bunch of weight and hopped on the elliptical for an hour a day 6 days a week and lost about 40 pounds and then of course gained it all back.

I have seen the best results with it without any of the negative side effects of running.

QVC has the Reebok Super Elliptical on 5 easy payments here plus free S&H.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.F244729.desc.Reebok-Super-Ramp-RL-70-Elliptical-with-Doorway-Delivery

HSN has some more affordable ones as low as 85 bucks a month on split pay - granted not as heavy duty but if it's only for personal use should be fine.

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/search/searchresults/default.aspx?Ntt=elliptical&N=0&Ntk=Std&st=1&criteria=&days=&minprice=&maxprice=&srchCatNm=&o=esearch
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    After running the gambit of all sorts of different types of exercise routines, I've gone back to the basics. Running, Inline Skating on cross training days, Pushups and Pull/Chin Ups. I'll add situps at some point when it seems like a good time. For now though, the pushups are giving me a surprisingly effective core workout.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My exercise staple for cardio is walking. I started indoors on the treadmill but got bored with that, and better weather has allowed me to go outdoors. In the last 3 months, I have slowly incorporated jogging into my walks. I can now jog around up to 3.5kms non stop. In some ways walking is my favourite exercise in that it can be vigorous or relaxing depending on your mood and goals for the day.

I strength train too once to twice a week. I started on dumbbells and have progressed to barbells. I love to bench (what red blooded guy doesn't?) I love to assault my shoulders with military presses.

As for fun - I play touch footie with some old mates. It is so much fun that I can hardly call it exercise yet it does give me some big calorie numbers lol.
  • ggus64
    ggus64 Posts: 22
    Options
    I love The beachbody program Power90 and the running program Couch to 5K
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise but I've been trying to ride exercise bike. I've been trying to do some arm workouts (never cared about arms before but now they're kinda tiny) mild stretching too... which I'm really good at..
  • frogman4591
    Options
    My daily exercise is walking, outside when weather permits, on the treadmill when it does not. Jan. 1 I began using the Couch to 5k program to move from walking to running. I have also started doing calisthenics and want to get into strength training. I am 57 years old and want this body I have been given to stay strong and healthy.
  • jerber160
    Options
    and today i popped in a tom holland total body workout dvd..... also like the ball thing.... not sure it does any good
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer... I just love to get in the pool and plod along for an hour or so. I've signed up to a 5K swimathon for charity at the end of April, so that will ensure I keep committed to the cause. I usually swim about 4-5 times a week.

I also like riding my bike... I usually cycle to and from the pool in the mornings and some weekends, I'll go for a bike ride after swimming. Since the snow fell last weekend I haven't been able to cycle, so I've been walking the 1½miles to the gym.
  • jerber160
    Options
    I'm a swimmer... I just love to get in the pool and plod along for an hour or so. I've signed up to a 5K swimathon for charity at the end of April, so that will ensure I keep committed to the cause. I usually swim about 4-5 times a week.

I also like riding my bike... I usually cycle to and from the pool in the mornings and some weekends, I'll go for a bike ride after swimming. Since the snow fell last weekend I haven't been able to cycle, so I've been walking the 1½miles to the gym.
    have we talked about this kyle? does anyone swim with a mask and snorkel on? I'd probably drown otherwise...
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I mostly walk. I'm fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood where the main street is a 3/4 mile loop. 4 laps in 45 minutes 2-3 times a week has helped me shed a few pounds.
  • mcfaddenpat
    Options
    Pullups, pushups, and situps. On my busiest days when I have only 10-15 minutes, I know that 10-15 minutes of these three will have me feeling nice and sore the next morning. Plus, a much lower chance that I'll hurt my joints.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

have we talked about this kyle? does anyone swim with a mask and snorkel on? I'd probably drown otherwise...
    Nobody swims with a mask and snorkel, in fact I do not believe you'd be allowed to use them in pools in the UK.

I wear goggles, because I was getting scratchy eyes from the chlorinated water in the pool, but no snorkels :wink:
  • jerber160
    Options
    how come? I know I'd look like an idiot. but that breathing thing.... so much easier if i could just BREATH and not worry about a mouthful of water
  • MuscleBear
    MuscleBear Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Step Class at the Gym - it increases your coordination, is good for your joints/knees (can be low impact), and because you're concentrating on what to do next, it's over before you know it, and it's a damn good workout - and most importantly, it's fun - and lastly...it's a great way to meet women!

Otherwise, biking (got one of those old man "comfort" bikes - best purchase ever!), Stairmaster, Treadmill, Machine-assisted lifting, Rope Climbing machine...

Basically, anything that takes my attention away from the work, and allows me to work on my iPad, listen to music, and watch TV - simultaneously...(can you say "Adult ADD"?)...