Primal and Venturing into VLC

Options
cali_kid88
cali_kid88 Posts: 19 Member
I've been primal for the most part for several months now. The next 2-3 months I'm cracking down and going VLC into ketosis territory to shred the weight. Does anyone have some tips or experience that they can share so I don't feel like I'm flying solo here? Thanks

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    VLC = Very low carb????

I have been doing a 30 day Strict Paleo for the past 2.5 weeks...I was already eating clean with a slant towards primal so I had to give up the little extras (dairy, chocolate, cutting down on my fruit comsumption)...the first two weeks I focused on making sure what i was eating was full on strict paleo - this past week after looking over my food log with my coach I am veturing to attempt to keep my carbs at or under 60...which means 1 serving of fruit/higher carb food/day. For me the past few days i have been trying to find foods that satisfy the sweet spot that fruit has - yesterday I had red pepper strips, today I have cucumber.

I have also been trying to up my leafy greens so I bought a bag of arugula and have been having that as a salad with pecans and tomatoes (and kalamatas olives today :) ) with my lunch
  • cali_kid88
    Options
    HI twinmom!
    yup vlc = very low carb. How has your weight loss been since you started your 30 day Paleo challenge? Are you also eating night shades like tomatoes?
    I'm been keeping my carb content between 20-50 grams. No night shades but then I found I don't miss them, all most no dairy. If I have a sweet tooth craving I've been adding some berries to a bit of full fat yogurt. I know I'm loosing a bunch of water weight at the moment, and I'm fine with that. I'm just curious to see how others the weight loss has gone over an extended period of time on vlc.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am down about 3.5 so far. Considering if I lost 2 in a month it was cause for celebration. Doing the same as far as exercise so the only thing I've changed is what I am eating and ditching dairy and keeping carbs fairly low.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There's a keto group on MFP you might like to join.

In my case I started on more like Atkins and it developed into a more Primal keto diet, so I was using sweeteners and shakes and stuff at the start.

Anyway, I started keto at around 275lb. I lost 3lb-4lb a week pretty much consistently for around 2 months (except if I cheated!), then it slowed to 1lb. I started weight training and cut out the cream, sweeteners and any processed food, and I'm now losing 2-3lb a week. I'm now 207lb, six months into keto.
  • cali_kid88
    Options
    Oh awesome dennyd! Its encouraging to see long term results! Thank you for the info, I hadn't realized there's a keto group here! *hunts down said group to join*