Preparing for a trip

Options
itamd1970
itamd1970 Posts: 17 Member
So in anticipation for a trip, I got myself some meal replacement bars and some protein powder. I figure it will certainly be better than breakfast buffets at hotels or snacks at coffee shops. I've also scoped out the places to identify gyms and other venues where i can exercise.
Any other tips that people could think of?

Replies

• bellstalker
    bellstalker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try to get in more walks, take stairs & if there is a pool - get in a few laps.
    Check calorie count prior to going to restaurant - choose wisely. Take some nuts, prepacked in small amounts.
    That said - I'm planning a trip across Northern USA and returning across southern Canada this summer in an RV. Plan to be gone up to 3 months. That is going to be a challenge. I hope to get in lots of hiking - but... something about campfires and wiener roasts..junk food & alcohol...yep...going to be a challenge.
    Good luck to you .. let me know if you find something that works!
  • vilmafraguada
    vilmafraguada Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I travel for work quite a bit...especially the first trimester of the year, when I'm gone most of the time...here are some things I implemented this year ( I didn't join MFP until a couple of months ago) that helped me maintain weight. In the 2011 season I gained 10 lbs and this year I didn't gain anything:

1. Brought my dvds
    2. Woke up an hour earlier to workout and get it out of the weight
    3.really worked on drinking as much water as possible
    4. my last meal of the day was very light since my work day is not over until about 9p
    5. Anytime I was in a place with walking trails, I would go for an extra walk every day

Hope this can be of help....
  • vilmafraguada
    vilmafraguada Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also purchased a set of aqua bells ( you fill them with water) to use for my weight sets...
  • bellstalker
    Options
    I've returned from 2+ months travelling in a motorhome. I'm HAPPY to say I did not gain at all. I walked LOTS!! Also, I stayed for 10 ten days in a RV park attached to a hotel with a gym which I went to and used the treadmill. I tried to eat sensibly but did enjoy "junk" food & drinks. I discovered that I can eat & drink as long as I walk it off!!
  • craig_pick
    craig_pick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I work away from home quite a bit and stay in hotels all the time. I try to use the gym if I am not working late, but it is usually too late to use it.

I walk around as much as possible and eat as healthy as possible. The problem I find is how to count my calories when eating in restaurants. I do try to eat healthily, but how do I KNOW am eating healthily if the details of ingredients etc are not available.

What do you guys do?
  • bellstalker
    Options
    I ask restaurant if they have nutrition info., if they don't I check online...some post nutritional info. If all that fails I type in everything I ate it may be off a bit but overall I think it is okay.
  • squirrelfocus
    squirrelfocus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are in California, chains have to have nutrition information available. Before going out, I will sometimes check the restaurant's website for nutritional information. That way I could decide what I wanted to eat, based on the saturated fats and calorie counts. Or at least know how much I'd need to stick in a doggie bag if I went for the really yummy meal. :D