Fun discussion with a vegan - seriously.

Options
MikeFlyMike
MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
At the gym today, a gal pulled me aside and said:

Her: hey seems like you have lost a lot of weight - you look great. Congrats - so you have really been in a gym a lot then.

Me: No, I'm actually been cutting back on the volume of my workouts.
H: Uh... and you lost how much since Jan 1?
M: 23 lbs.
H: working out less?
M: Yes.
H: Um what?
M: I really looked at my fuel and decided it had to change.
H: Oh so counting calories and cutting out the fat - good for you - seems to be working really well.
M: Uh, no - kinda the opposite. I am not counting my calories, but I got rid of all grains and some other stuff.
H: Cut back on bread? Wow that is hard.
M: No, I said I ELIMINATED ALL Grains.
H: Whoa, seriously - but, whatabout, like ALL Grains? - you know that includes rice and stuff. Not just less bread?
M: yup, trust me I know what it includes. 100% grain free.
H: Well I recently went vegan so grains are most of my meals.
M: Good for you - that wouldn't work for me - I'm allergic to grains it turns out.
H: Allergic?
M: Yes I break out in fat.
H: Whoa, so what about quinoa, corn, spelt?
M: Gone - don't miss them - I feel fantastic btw.
H: Woah, so what do you eat.
M: Lots of meat - then some more meat, and lots of veggies, then some more veggies with meat on them.
H: Uh, ..(awkward silence moment) ...... well I had to go vegan because eating meat was holding me back. I now find it disgusting.
M: That's awesome that you can make such a dramatic change too - and that yours is working for you. All I know is this worked for me.
H: Well (and she looks me up and down), it certainly did. I gotta say, I can't believe it, but hell, do whatever works for you.
M: ya know - I eat a ton more veggies than I used to these days - so we really are the same, just instead of bread, I'm eating a protein of my choice.
H: Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it. Well, keep it up, it is working for you.
M: Thanks.

It was funny because she was deep in complimenting me before she knew I was a horrible meat eater and killer of cute chickens, cows, lambs, fish and pretty buffalo. She was pretty cool about it really - but the look on her face when I said I substituted grains for meat and more meat was priceless.

Just my fun moment of the day.

Replies

• Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    right on! Good for you!

Stay on the meat train!

Cheers!
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That is really funny. Thanks for posting!

I DO understand where she is coming from, though. I mean, it would be pretty unsustainable for everyone to eat the way we do, right? I mean, are there enough animals (esp. grass fed, free range, emotionally satisfied meat ec.) to feed 6.9 billion humans? I like the diet too, but I wonder if it's good for the planet as a whole. I'd love to hear other perspectives!
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    well ;) Here is a perspective.
    I'm not trying to feed the world, I'm trying to feed me. and I refuse to eat poison that literally kills me.
    If others do that is their choice and I have no problem with that. I'm not trying to save anyone other than myself and those I love.
    Basically my own darwin theory. And the food the USDA, monsanto et al want us to eat is indeed literally killing us and while we have "long" lives - the last few decades are in pain and unhealthy.

The current american diet is what makes us this obese as a country. I am choosing not to participate. This diet is absolutely sustainable for me and I am choosing to eat healthy.
    If 100% of the country got 3000 calories each day from vegetables, we would have a vegetable shortage.

Marks Sisson just yesterday had a fantastic summary of this topic. Seriously worth the read if sustainability or protection of the entire human species is a concern.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/can-we-feed-the-world-on-the-primal-blueprint-diet-part-2/#axzz1oMxlSmVN
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well, that's a good perspective! And thanks for tuning me into that site; I'm a newbie to the diet and looking for as much info as possible. Trust me, I don't think the world is going to go Paeo/Primal anytime soon- personal will power is more preclusive to the transition than the extra money it takes anyway, I think.

I just like to know that as a consumer (economically and physioligically speaking) I am suporting practices that are beneficial to the environment and community. I like the idea of supporting local ranchers as well as eating healthier. What I really want to know is if we as a society choose to pay more for healthy meat (doubtful, I know) that the supply chain will find a less impactful way to produce it. I want to know if the way they would produce it is better for the environment than the current grain/corn/silo slop system that prevails now. I can see by reading the article you presented that in order to reach this hypothetical demand the agricultural system would have to increase efficiency in a way that would decrease package price (making it more accessable for those interested) as well cut down on green house gasses. In essence, you answered my question!

I'm just trying to put my money where my mouth is!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've had similar conversations at the Yoga studio. People are amazed at the weight loss etc. and are blown away when I tell them about the diet.
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    Sara, I appreciate your willingness to examine it from the angles.
    If you want "tips" or input on how to make the conversion - cause it kind of is one - lots of helpful people here. Its pretty communal in a sense.

I have been lurking marksdaily for maybe two years. I really appreciate all of his fitness and health advice - but wasn't willing to cut the grain until a few months ago.
    I do my best to support local farming and not corporations that make frankenfood.
    I plan on buying a 4h grass fed 1/2 cow this spring raised only a few miles from me.
    That is how I plan on sustainability and know that I will live a long healthy life to perpetuate my genes ;)

As Mark says, "Live long, drop dead" - ha ha
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Going back to the original topic, it's actually quite refreshing to hear two VERY opposite diet approaches being discussed respectfully with neither party trying to convert one another. I mean I know how great I feel and how it works for me, but there's no convincing anyone unless they are open to re-examining CW. And I've had enough encounters with vegetarians trying to get me off meat in my life. No thanks!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    :laugh: that was great!!!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I <3 this thread.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    M: Good for you - that wouldn't work for me - I'm allergic to grains it turns out.
    H: Allergic?
    M: Yes I break out in fat.
    M: ya know - I eat a ton more veggies than I used to these days - so we really are the same, just instead of bread, I'm eating a protein of my choice.

Best. Responses. Evar. :D

These are quotes we all should memorize and use - they are word 'pictures' worth a thousand more mundane words...