The scale is bumming me out! :(

Options
angellew918
angellew918 Posts: 13 Member
When I don't weigh myself, the curiosity kills me and then when I finally do (thinking it's going to be great, because I've been so good), it depressed me anyway! I can't win.

I went through my first 30 days losing 9 1/2 pounds, started at (314) which was awesome! I was go motivated! I weighed myself the next week, which was right at my period and found a gain, but I didn't let it bum me out and decided I would only weigh myself once a month AFTER my period. That was this morning... and it said I gained a pound! WHAT? I almost threw it out the window!!

So... before I go completely insane... I'm going to buy new batteries for the &*%#&ing thing and try again!

Once a month is probably not enough, right? What do you think?

Replies

• findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I tried once a month and it didnt work out for me. I think I ate too much in the begining of the month thinking well, I dont need to get on the scale anytime soon. Once a week seems to be good for me, although I do peek at the number at least once through out the week to see if Im on track.

Try tracking your sodium, or upping your intake of water. It could be that you have been losing but are hanging on to extra water. No matter what, just keep going! It will get better!
  • angellew918
    Options
    thank you!
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    THE SCALE CAN DEFINITELY BUM YOU OUT!!! I totttaalllyyy get it!

But the thing is every body's weight fluctuates throughout the day depending on how much water you drink or don't drink, whether you have exercised or not, where you are in your cycle...I mean seriously, a billion different factors.

What I do and what I highly recommend is just to pick a day of the week (mine is Monday) and the same TIME of day...I've been told it's best to weigh first thing in the morning...and just weigh yourself that once and let it go. Personally, I have to hide the scale in the back of the closet b/c if it's just sitting out and about, I'll step on it EVERY MORNING!!! LOL.

And I think the other response is right...I can't Overstate enough, the importance of getting enough water! My body can hold on to about 3lbs of water weight if I'm not drinking enough...that is a HUGE difference on the scale!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend adding sodium to your food tracker, too. For me personally I've noticed even when I stay under my goal of 2,000 for the day but have one thing with a LOT of sodium in it at one time (like a six in sub from subway, or a meal out) I kind of ruin the day for a loss because of water retention.

Now that I'm doing MFP I try to weigh in once a day in the morning after my trip to the restroom - but some mornings I'm so groggy I cant stand still on the scale and it doesnt register LOL so I give up. It can get discouraging from day to day but I like to see it at least stay the same or go down .1 or whatever to know I'm not retaining fluid and on the right track.

That said, fluid retention is a big deal for me right now because of chronic heart and kindey problems...so its pretty important to me personally and not something normal people really worry about too much.
  • neverlost
    neverlost Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi angel. I wouldn't be able to weigh once a month, I need way more feedback on how I am doing than to weigh once a month.

But, I completely understand about the scale bumming you out. I'm right there with you today. I weigh myself every morning and I expect and understand the fluctuations but today I was up one pound since yesterday. what the heck, right? I even stepped on it 3 times and still the same. Now, intellectually, I know that I couldn't have gained a pound in one day. All my numbers were in the green yesterday, even sodium. I drank lots of water, I even exercised a little... I SHOULD have seen a loss but no, my scale is not cooperating today. To gain a true pound in one day, I would have had to eat 3500 calories above my regular calorie rate, not my deficit calorie rate and I didn't, I ate fine yesterday... anyway, that one pound fluctuation is a motivator to me, I will work even harder today to make the scale cooperate with me.
  • angellew918
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I really needed to be talked down yesterday!

I am definitely not drinking enough water! Yesterday, I made sure to get 8-9 glasses in, which I am doing again today! I have to make more of an effort doing that than sticking to the calories. And I will look at the sodium. Thing is, I did go out to dinner of Friday night. I never even thought of the sodium. I planned for that night out, looking up nutritional info and planning what I was going to order before I got there, etc. But, never had a thought for sodium! Lesson learned!!

Once a month is not enough. I do need the feedback more often. I'll try once a week and maybe avoid the time of month week, so I don't depress myself again!

Thank you again! You guys really helped! :o)
  • alliekat893
    Options
    I am right there with you! Oh how I hate that blasted scale!

I try to weigh once a week, Sunday mornings, but I usually wind up stepping on the blasted thing every morning... it's just *right there* waiting for me!

I know I haven't been drinking enough plain water. I got in the habit of putting powders in (like, Crystal Light) instead of drinking it "straight" and I haven't been drinking enough, period. And I haven't been watching my salt at all, and I really crave it that one week a month... ;-)

Good advice from everyone, Got me thinking...