Eating before workout...yes or no

Options
I'd like to get some opinions about whether or not I should eat before working out...I've heard so many different view about this....I'd love to get some additional opinions.
I work out between 5-6 days a week. Since knee surgery in November I am a bit limited in what I can do, but I try to do the bike every workout ...about 20 minutes(my surgeon said to do the bike as often as I can), strength train about 5 days a week (including doing my PT at the gym) for about 30-45 minutes and then walk on the treadmill or do the elliptical for 20 minutes. I have been eating one slice of whole wheat toast with low fat cheese or a mini Cliff bar before working out. On the occasional day that I only do cardio, I have not been eating before working out....what do you think?

Replies

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    IMHO, you've got it about right - a light snack with lots of complex carbs before working out. If it takes you at least fifteen-twenty minutes to drive to the gym, that's long enough for it to get into your system and be available to fuel your workout.

(And of course, you're drinking plenty of water before, during, & after, right? :)
  • Lmkurtz725
    Options
    I drink gobs of water all day....I gave up soda and iced tea (anything with caffeine) a long time ago. I work from home and have a huge insulated cup with me all day.
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is just what my trainer told me: you can only do about 20 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach, after that you will begin to feel nauseous & shaky as your blood sugar stores are being used up. you could also damage your muscles. She has suggested to me a 20 minute cardio first thing in the morning to boost metabolism through out the day, then eat breakfast of carbs & protein, then continue your strength training. Of course with lots of water. Hope that helps. Good luck.
    Andrea
  • Stillygirl
    Stillygirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Exercise causes a distinctive hormonal and metabolic disruption in the body, which you can take advantage of with certain nutrition strategies. Of particular importance is the w/o nutrition window (20-30 minutes before exercise and lasts 1-2 hrs after the w/o). During this period your body uses nutrition to counteract muscle breakdown and take advantage of increased insulin sensitivity, preferentially shuttling nutrients toward muscles and away from fat cells. There is also an increase in blood flow to working muscles. This blood delivers nutrients, stimulating muscle regrowth and repair. Experts now agree immediately after a w/o is the best time to refill the muscles' energy stores, and waiting 2 hours can decrease their ability to rapidly replenish these stores by 50%. During training, the stress hormone cortisol increases and after training we want to lower cortisol, while at the same time provide the body with proper nutrients to start the recovery process. By using a carbohydrate and protein shakes, we can accomplish both things simultaneously.
  • beecautious
    beecautious Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think you should always eat something light before any excercise for strength, I have never heard of not eating anything, just nothing heavy is recommended. I eat before I workout depending on my schedule. If I am hungry then yes, but if not then no because I would rather grab a protien shake following my workout which is cold and delicious.....yummy