Getting enough protein in the morning.

Options
ahjenny
ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
I see that the recommendation is 50-75 grams of protein in the morning. What is the best way to get this much protein? I've been looking into bacon, eggs, ham, and sausage, but I don't know if I can eat enough of all that to get to the 50-75 goal. Suggestions?

Replies

• KavemanKarg
    Options
    I realize what I eat is actually shocking to people but when I do it, I LOSE weight even though it is enormous calories.

I try to stay under 5% of calories from carbs, and about 70% calories from fat.

Having said that even for me 50 grams of protein for breakfast every day is going to be tough. Normally I do not eat breakfast, I am not hungry. But in the evening I am FAMISHED and must eat before bed. Classic leptin resistance huh? Hence why I am doing it.

Yesterday I made a 6 egg scramble with 2 tbsp of lard, and 1 TSP of ketchup

Today I made a shake as follows:
    2TBSP heavy cream (35%)
    3 raw eggs, whole of course!
    1 scoop whey powder
    1 cup water
    2 TBSP hemp hearts
    1 TBSP ground chia
    2 TBSP of coconut oil

Plus my normal dose of a crapload of coffee with heavy cream. This put me at all my ratios, and gave me, I feel, enough protein at 62 grams.

In other words, EAT A MASSIVE BREAKFAST. Do not snack. Eat a lunch and dinner and that is it until morning again.

Bacon and eggs are back on the menu ;) I made this shake above to see how it would work as an instant breakfast option and it was delish.
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a mild intolerance to eggs, so can only eat one or two at a time once a week or so. Bacon is mostly out because I cannot source bacon without nitrates. So I make so with chicken, steak or fish for breakfast along with a green tea with 1 tbls of coconut oil. Not very exciting but I can put the bulk chicken or steak in the slow cooker overnight and it's done for breakfast, plus I have a supply of cooked meat for various meals.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea about the slow cooker. Have breakfast waiting and dinner will be ready without much fuss. Yes!
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I can't eat breakfast first thing as I have an autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and I take my medicine when I first wake up and then have to wait an hour. Also, I have tons of food sensitivities, so chicken eggs out, but I get fresh duck eggs from a small farm down the road from me.

I've always pushed for the higher protein. I'm not supposed to eat wheat, can't do cow milk, so it's challenging.
  • karin_s
    karin_s Posts: 11
    Options
    Is it the same recommendation for protein grams for all sizes? I am 5 foot 1 and I am on a 1200 claories a day diet. Would it be adjusted for my size?
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    For the Jack Kruse reset, the breakfast protein recommendation is between 50gms to 75gms for everyone. Occasionally going under by a little isn't likely to have a negative impact. Have a look as the leptin reset FAQs or the comments section for the leptin posts on the jack kruse website they have lots of additional information that you may find useful.

Other reset protocols may have different breakfast protein guidelines.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Yep its a general recommendation.

The goal of the big breakfast is to leave you filled, and to ensure a huge satiety signal to your brain ASAP after waking.

By doing this each morning after you wake instead of snacking at bedtime you restore your brain's leptin cycle over time to match the circadium cycle.

That is why meal timing and sunlight and darkness before bed are so important while you reset.

Think of it this way, all exercise plans have a goal. Run a race faster. Bodybuilding contest, whatever.

All meal plans should have a goal. Most of us are used to our various weight loss plans, but THAT is NOT the goal of this period in our journey. The goal of this plan is to reset a vital cycle in our brains that we knocked off kilter through years of poor habits.

Now, will you lose weight while you do it? Sure, likely, it is a low carb and natural paleo style approach after all and that pretty much universally results in weight loss. But it is NOT the goal of this 6 weeks. The goal of this 6 weeks is to heal your brain, not your waist,,,

Cheers!
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. I can't eat another bite. 4 eggs, 1 oz cheddar, 1 tbsp coconut oil, a cup of broccoli and cauliflower for some taste and thats only 37 grams --really??!!

Thought I would get in a scoop of whey protien but I don't think there's room. But it would put me at 52 grams. Does anyone know if I could put it right in the eggs?? Would they cook ok?
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    If you scramble the eggs you can usually eat more of them.

I eat em raw in a blender LOL

For some easy protein add some hemp hearts or chia.
  • ellie0213
    Options
    If you scramble the eggs you can usually eat more of them.

I eat em raw in a blender LOL

For some easy protein add some hemp hearts or chia.
    You're a beast: I'd puke! (I do have chia though...thanks!)
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I found that beef, chicken, etc. was easier for a lot of my clients to get down first thing in the morning but my daughter and I prefer huge quantities of eggs and bacon. I have a pressure cooker that will hold foods warm enough to keep them healthy for days, not that meat lasts that long with 4 voracious Primal peeps sharing meals. Throwing in some fatty meat and lower carb veggies is part of our mid afternoon routine but could be done whenever it fits your schedule.

Also, I don't bother eating different things for breakfast, lunch or dinner unless my body sends me a pretty aggressive signal that it wants something that I haven't prepared. The lack of variety helps support that eating is about refueling and not about entertaining the bored or emotional sedation. We just make what we like, eat it until it's gone and then make something else.

Helps to break the brain out of the media box about what food is and is not.
  • ellie0213
    Options
    I found that beef, chicken, etc. was easier for a lot of my clients to get down first thing in the morning but my daughter and I prefer huge quantities of eggs and bacon. I have a pressure cooker that will hold foods warm enough to keep them healthy for days, not that meat lasts that long with 4 voracious Primal peeps sharing meals. Throwing in some fatty meat and lower carb veggies is part of our mid afternoon routine but could be done whenever it fits your schedule.

Also, I don't bother eating different things for breakfast, lunch or dinner unless my body sends me a pretty aggressive signal that it wants something that I haven't prepared. The lack of variety helps support that eating is about refueling and not about entertaining the bored or emotional sedation. We just make what we like, eat it until it's gone and then make something else.

Thanks. How much do you prep at one time?
  • ResilientWoman
    Options

Thanks. How much do you prep at one time?

An entire pressure cooker or large slowcooker full. I was feeding 2, my daughter age 6 and myself. Now I'm feeding 2 adults (I weigh 245 lbs, gf weighs 162 lbs) plus 2 kids (gf's daughter is 15 and normal weight to skinny fat while my daughter is 6 and a voracious eater who lifts weights, shovels snow, runs races and asks why I won't make more time for her to exercise, lol).

This change in how much we need for one to three meals has caused me to use less water and veggies and more fat/meat. Stuff that cooker to the full line and use the least amount of water if you have a large crowd to feed. If it's just you or two, you have more room to experiment and still have a couple meals to a couple days food.

Hope that helps.
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Today I finished my chicken soup in less than 30 minutes of waking, Cha-ching!
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've got/had Hashi. Whatever it is I take thyroid every morning. My work around for the time issue is to chew it up before swallowing then I get right to the protein bomb. I avoid eggs so I have my home made jerky ready to go which I much on with my coffee loaded with coconut milk. Then I'm off... !!! Last summer I ditched dairy and eggs.

I can't eat breakfast first thing as I have an autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and I take my medicine when I first wake up and then have to wait an hour. Also, I have tons of food sensitivities, so chicken eggs out, but I get fresh duck eggs from a small farm down the road from me.

I've always pushed for the higher protein. I'm not supposed to eat wheat, can't do cow milk, so it's challenging.