Monthly Dinner Meet up

Options
So I was thinking today that it would be really cool to do a monthly dinner meet up at at new, fun and most importantly HEALTHY restaurant. I would love to meet some new healthy, fitness minded people for good food, conversation, and support.

I am thinking metro area only, and depending on the number of people interested we could just take turns choosing the meeting place each month. I think it would eventually be awesome to do a potluck at someones home as we get to know eachother.

So...any takers?

Replies

• Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    Hmmm... I don't know of any new, healthy restaurants--it seems everywhere I turn, there's a new burger joint popping up--but The Good Earth in Roseville comes to mind as an old standby that has some healthy options. If I knew S. Mpls. better, I'm sure I would be aware of more healthy restaurants, but unfortunately, I live in the wrong part of the metro (North of downtown).

This message board is usually sparsely populated, but let's see how many pipe up here. Everybody likes to eat dinner out. Maybe you have hit on an idea that will finally get this group to really take off.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Favorite healthy restaurant is definitely French Meadow in Uptown.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't know any "healthy" restaurants either. Up until recently, my kids were at the ages where we only ate at places that had chicken fingers or mac & cheese on the menu :-)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I'm at a loss for "healthy" restaurants. I'm close to Roseville so I'll have to check out The Good Earth. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: There is a new place that opened in Little Canada at the intersection of Little Canada Rd and Rice St. It's called "Good Nutrition 4 You" or "Great Nutrition 4 You" or something like that. It's not a restaurant per se, but a place that serves smoothies. I haven't been there yet but they left business cards at my gym that entitles you to a free smoothie. Just a thought.
  • Runthismom
    Options
    I love The Good Earth. There is also one in Edina too!

There is The Good Day Cafe on 394 in SLP. I think that is going to be the fun part- sourcing out healthy options. I have been avoiding dining out like the plague because I am terrified of not having control over what goes into my food, and how it is prepared. And I think the best way to get over that is to find good places to eat as a group! That way we ALL have a "Little Black Book" of places for good eats with healthy options.

I would eventually like to move it to an in-home BYOD get together; because I LOVE to cook, and share my cooking with other people. But I totally gotta get to know people first before I invite people into my home, I am sure others would feel the same. :happy:

Keep the input rolling!
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    Yeah, I totally get the being apprehensive about inviting total strangers into your house; meeting at a restaurant and getting to know people first is the way to go. That's exactly how it worked with the old 'Gabster' website 107.1 FM used to have. A bunch of metro area people who used to frequent the message boards there decided to meet one day, and we have all become good friends who now host get-togethers in our own homes.

French Meadow is a great idea. I've heard wonderful things about it, but have never been there. I think I drive past it when my work route takes me down Lyndale Avenue, so I have no excuse for not stopping in.

I just got word of Stuart and Heidi Woodman's (of Heidi's, a popular S. Mpls restaurant) new venture which will open sometime this Spring in the same space Duplex used to occupy in Uptown on Hennepin Ave. S. It will be called Birdhouse, and will focus on healthy eating.

Any other ideas? I'm receptive to learning about anywhere in the metro area, because I'd like my little black book to be complete.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Here's a suggestion -- Mendoberri in Mendota Hts. It meets your healthy qualifications. I don't think I'm ready for face to face yet.

http://www.mendoberri.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=5
  • Runthismom
    Options
    Oh awesome!! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I don't know any "healthy" restaurants either. Up until recently, my kids were at the ages where we only ate at places that had chicken fingers or mac & cheese on the menu :-)

^^ This! I love this idea, I like west of the cities, but I'm willing to drive anywhere! I love the idea of starting with a healthy choice restaurant and maybe from there we could move on to a place where its sometimes a challenge but can be done and with support there, helps us all to realize what choices there are!
  • Runthismom
    Options

^^ This! I love this idea, I like west of the cities, but I'm willing to drive anywhere! I love the idea of starting with a healthy choice restaurant and maybe from there we could move on to a place where its sometimes a challenge but can be done and with support there, helps us all to realize what choices there are!

Exactly! I have been avoiding eating out because I have to give up control of my food, and it's preperation. But tonight is a date night and I am determined to be good! :drinker:

I would love to have it be a learning experience, how to choose foods and order the food in a way that is healthy for our own individual needs. I am sure that I am not the only one who might need some pointers or support in this area! :tongue: I too am in the West metro!

I am going to throw this out there...Let's set a tentitive first meet up at then end of March. I will take the first go round of choosing a place to meet. I will try to choose one with an online menu so that we can all look at it prior to going. I will post a date once we get closer to the beginning of March.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options

I would love to have it be a learning experience, how to choose foods and order the food in a way that is healthy for our own individual needs. I am sure that I am not the only one who might need some pointers or support in this area! :tongue: I too am in the West metro!

I am going to throw this out there...Let's set a tentitive first meet up at then end of March. I will take the first go round of choosing a place to meet. I will try to choose one with an online menu so that we can all look at it prior to going. I will post a date once we get closer to the beginning of March.

I'm looking forward to it! Yes, meeting a group of strangers is a bit out of my comfort zone, but I hope others, like me, can make a leap of faith and join in on the learning, support, and new friends that are likely to be a result.

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody!
  • prettyboy1975
    Options
    The only healthy restaurant I know of is Good Earth in Roseville, which is not to far from my job. Are people still getting together for dinner?
  • Runthismom
    Options
    The only healthy restaurant I know of is Good Earth in Roseville, which is not to far from my job. Are people still getting together for dinner?

Yes, that is the plan...shooting for the end of March. I will post a date, or dates and see what works for everyone once I figure out where!
  • prettyboy1975
    Options
    ok, I will check back by the end of the month. Thanks :)
  • monainmn
    monainmn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My favorite place to eat a healthy meal these days is Ruby Tuesday, YUMMY!!!:love:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    NOT FAIR.......................

SOME of us don't live near the Metro.

And YOU ALL should come up to DULUTH and go to the Duluth Grill!

.........just sayin' ...............................
  • kellymorris55
    kellymorris55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat anywhere and find the healthiest choices, so I'm down for whatever. Can't wait to meet new friends!
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    NOT FAIR.......................

SOME of us don't live near the Metro.

And YOU ALL should come up to DULUTH and go to the Duluth Grill!

.........just sayin' ...............................

I would LOVE to go to the Duluth Grill. It's on my list for the next time I'm in Duluth. There's also a Thai restaurant on Woodland and (I think) Arrowhead I want to check out.
  • deaterrae
    deaterrae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My neighborhood sports the Birchwood Cafe that does dinner and the Seward Cafe that mostly does brunch. The Ecopolitan in Uptown offers raw, vegetarian/vegan food. The Seward Co-op has a great deli with healthy options.

Of course, if we pay attention to what we order, many local restaurants offer healthy options.

Keep us posted!
  • Runthismom
    Options
    Ok folks, so the date range I have in mind is Wednesday March 28th or Thursday March 29th. I have chosen The Good Earth in The Galleria in Edina. The Galleria is right off of France. In between 62 and 494. I figure that is a good central location for a first meeting. During dinner we can set a schedule of who will be in charge of choosing the next location. I guess I would like it to be like the last wed/thur of the month...it makes it easy to remember.

I would like to meet at about 6, 6:30. But I am open to earlier or later.

Here is a link to the menu so that you can have an idea of what you want ahead of time:
    http://www.goodearthmn.com/menu/lunchdinner.htm

Let me know what date works for everyone, and also I would like to have an idea of just how many would be in our group; so that if it is large I can call ahead and let them know.

Thanks!! I look foward to meeting you all!