Walking speeds

Options
In the MFP exercise database, there's 3.0mph as in walking the dog, and then 4.0mph brisk walk. So I thought I was probably doing 3.0mph, but when I was out walking today I got to thinking I HAD to be walking faster than that. haha! So is 3.0mph like walking the dog and waiting for him to do his business? Is the 4.0mph more like a "walking somewhere with a purpose" speed? Anyone have any idea? :)

Replies

• justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I read this earlier, but since I was headed to the gym, I wanted to check it out on the treadmill for you!

3.0- Slow walk, Walking the dog speed definitely.

4.0 brisk walk (to me) is that point where I am almost needing to run. I generally start at 4.5 mph for a few seconds and then get to 5.0. I would say its definitely with a purpose, but it's a fast walk, that's for sure!

Keep in mind, I have short legs, and am short strided. There is no way in heck I can walk 5.0 mph or even at 4.5. I am already jogging by then.

I hope that helps you some :)
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree with razz. 4.0 for me is a very brisk walk. Anything faster than that and I'm jogging as well. I find that it's a speed I have to concentrate on. 3.0, I feel like walking the dog is accurate. Not so much the waiting on her to potty, but actively walking and going somewhere, without feeling strained or out of breath.
  • emawalton
    emawalton Posts: 12
    Options
    Ok thanks for the clarification!! :) I didn't want to be robbing myself of exercise points by picking the slower speed if that wasn't the right one. Sounds like 3.0 is about right for what I'm doing though. Thanks!
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    One thing I learned recently is that MFP over estimates the calories burned. The only way to get the true calories burned is with a heart rate monitor.

What bout doing some brief sprints with the dog? I used to run with mine, but she was diagnosed with CHF and is no longer allowed strenuous activity :(
  • emawalton
    emawalton Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm actually not even walking the dog. haha! I'm out walking at lunch at work. But I had no clue what the MPH equated to in real life walking speeds so I just used the dog as an example (since that's what they have listed next to the 3mph speed.)
  • VesperSparrow
    Options
    I walk paths everyday that I know the distance of, so I calculate my speed by how long it takes to do the walk. Generally, when my dog is on the leash, I use the 3 mph figure and when I'm walking more briskly with the dog off leash, the 4 mph. But since I am very used to doing this walk (have been doing it everyday for ten years now), I can't imagine I'm burning as many colories as MFP says.

My problem is with birdwatching. The walking tends to be slow and a lot of standing around, but it occurs over long periods so calories must be getting burned. And sometimes standing around or walking slowly feels more tiring than walking faster.

Guess I need to get a heart-rate monitor.
  • cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There are a couple different free apps you can download if you have a smartphone and they'll tell you your actual speed. I use the app Endomundo and it keeps track of my speed and will tell me about how many calories I've burned (after entering my height/age/weight). It also keeps track of elevation change which is helpful for me since my walk includes looots of hills.

I take my dog for walks each afternoon (he's off leash- so I'm not slowly down to wait for him while he sniff something) according to my phone, I average about 3.5 mph. For me, 4.0 is just shy of jogging, it's uncomfortably fast for me to walk. 3.5 is enough to get my heart pumping and for me to feel like I'm really marching along without being uncomfortable.