Eating more and freaking out....

Options
mommynmotion
mommynmotion Posts: 149 Member
Okay, I started eating more about 3 weeks ago and when I got all swollen and "thicker than usual" as a friend put it, I was very upset.

The next week, I tried a minicut, because I was so upset...I did 6 days of lean protein and veggies, about 800-1200 calories per day. Then I decided eating more was right and started to do that last Saturday, so a week ago. I have given up the scale for the month, it's too upsetting.

I am 5'3, 38 years old, last I checked I was 125 pounds and have about 22% body fat. My goal is18% body fat and/or115 pounds...size 2. I have clothes that size that haven't fit me since I had my 4th and final baby 3.5 years ago. I have weighed what I weigh for the better part of that 3.5 years...up and down the same 5-10 pounds, over and over again.

I am a runner and I have completed P90X a few times in the last 2 years and now I have moved on to Cathe's STS training...very hard weight lifing videos.

I have read and reread all of the posts about eating more and I want to do it and believe it. I have a personal training certification and sports nutrition as well. I should know what to do, but I just can't figure it out. I have looked back at my food diary for the last year and I have seen where I eat 1200-1800 calories (gross and net) and the scale doesn't budge...just like so many of teh stories I have read. I did a very successful juice fast in November and December, my clothes were falling off of me, I liked what I saw in the mirror. Then I switched to Paleo way of eating (high fat an dprotein, no processed food...huge change from juice and salad). I gained it back, of course!

So, here I am, heavy lifting...I have just about given up running because of frustration and also because these new videos are so hard that they leave me really tired. I am eating more, I raised my goal to 1750 Net. My BMR is about 1300 before daily activities. My TDEE is about 2290. I have really been trying to eat my net goal. My TDEE minus 15% is 1950. I have been eating 1750 NET (including exercise calories).

On Thursday (5 days of eating more), I woke up swollen...I mean bad! I literally have nothing to wear. My body is sore to the touch...everywhere. I noticed it when I got on teh treadmill...jogging actually hurt, everywhere. Today is saturday and I am still swollen and sore. I couldn't even get my pajamas on last night. I am so sad and so discouraged. Jeans that I wore last week will only go half way up. I have cried off and on all day, I don't know what to do.

I eat really clean foods and not too much sodium...every now and then I go over, but it's rare. I will open my diary.

I could really use some support.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Okay, I started eating more about 3 weeks ago and when I got all swollen and "thicker than usual" as a friend put it, I was very upset.

The next week, I tried a minicut, because I was so upset...I did 6 days of lean protein and veggies, about 800-1200 calories per day. Then I decided eating more was right and started to do that last Saturday, so a week ago. I have given up the scale for the month, it's too upsetting.

I am 5'3, 38 years old, last I checked I was 125 pounds and have about 22% body fat. My goal is18% body fat and/or115 pounds...size 2. I have clothes that size that haven't fit me since I had my 4th and final baby 3.5 years ago. I have weighed what I weigh for the better part of that 3.5 years...up and down the same 5-10 pounds, over and over again.

I am a runner and I have completed P90X a few times in the last 2 years and now I have moved on to Cathe's STS training...very hard weight lifing videos.

I have read and reread all of the posts about eating more and I want to do it and believe it. I have a personal training certification and sports nutrition as well. I should know what to do, but I just can't figure it out. I have looked back at my food diary for the last year and I have seen where I eat 1200-1800 calories (gross and net) and the scale doesn't budge...just like so many of teh stories I have read. I did a very successful juice fast in November and December, my clothes were falling off of me, I liked what I saw in the mirror. Then I switched to Paleo way of eating (high fat an dprotein, no processed food...huge change from juice and salad). I gained it back, of course!

So, here I am, heavy lifting...I have just about given up running because of frustration and also because these new videos are so hard that they leave me really tired. I am eating more, I raised my goal to 1750 Net. My BMR is about 1300 before daily activities. My TDEE is about 2290. I have really been trying to eat my net goal. My TDEE minus 15% is 1950. I have been eating 1750 NET (including exercise calories).

On Thursday (5 days of eating more), I woke up swollen...I mean bad! I literally have nothing to wear. My body is sore to the touch...everywhere. I noticed it when I got on teh treadmill...jogging actually hurt, everywhere. Today is saturday and I am still swollen and sore. I couldn't even get my pajamas on last night. I am so sad and so discouraged. Jeans that I wore last week will only go half way up. I have cried off and on all day, I don't know what to do.

I eat really clean foods and not too much sodium...every now and then I go over, but it's rare. I will open my diary.

I could really use some support.

I will go take a look at your diary.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I think your sodium is the issue. I will tell you I try not to even get too close to 2500 because I hold water when I go over. You are over everyday. Plus you lift heavy so your muscle hold water to repair.

Now you are sore to touch and that is odd. I think a good protien shake to help you with the calories would help and to try eating less processed foods. The turkey bacon has too much sodium and nitrates too...so not good for the stomach. I don't eat any cold cuts or hot dogs with nitrates or anything I can pronounce.

Try getting your sodium under 1500 for one week with the increased cals and see how that goes.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    If this was me I would for three days drink water, blend veggies and fruits to make juice/smoothie, drink a couple protein shakes, eat veggies and lean meats, boiled eggs and such just to give my system a break from the prcessed foods.

Please take a look at my diary if you need ideas.
  • Evelyn2050
    Evelyn2050 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I will pray for you - this is hard work and now it's frustrating. I will cover this in prayer. Take care, my friend.
  • mommynmotion
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I usually don't eat anything processed either. I went for about 2 months not eating anything from a package! Seriously, the bacon was just cuz the kids wanted it. It is filled with "stuff" though, that's true. I was going to cut back on my sodium elsewhere. I did go over a few days, usually I am under on sodium. I think adjusting my calories and eating more made me turn to different foods than usual. I also have the moto of not eating anything I can't pronounce...I guess I picked a bad week to ask people to look at my diary!

I just can't imagine being this swollen from that! My socks are leaving lines on my feet and it even hurt to put my sneakers on yesterday. I am praying that I am just adjusting.

My usual diet would not include the bacon, other than that, I think it looks pretty good. Wasn't the bacon the only "bad" thing? I have been using protein powder in baking, like the Jamie Eason blueberry muffins. I did use a few other processed things this week actually...I used a pudding mix to make protein pudding and I used some crystal light mix in the lemon protein bars. I felt so bad buying those 2 things, I hid them in the cart! My kids were saying" why are you buying that mom?". They even noticed it wasn't normal. I guess those few things could account for part of it, my body isn't used to processed foods.

It's just so unfair....We have Church tomorrow and I don't have anything to wear! And small group at our house after that! I am so stressed about it! You know that feeling when your new baby is a few weeks old and you want to enjoy them, but everytime you look down at yourself or look in the mirror or dare to try to get dressed, you just feel really bad about yourself? That's where I am today. I have never felt like this unless I just had a baby. I feel like I have post partum depression and body....LOL! I jiggle when I laugh and that's not normal for me.

I guess I just need some encouragement and need more success stories to feel better and see the light at the end of the "tunnel".

Did you see my TDEE numbers and the numbers I am eating? Do those look okay?

Thanks for your help!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I can hear how frustrated you are- so sending some calming vibes your way :)

First off- I agree with Lucia- your sodium is way high. I don't go over 2000 and very very rarely go over 2500. It took me a week or so to get used to eating in bulk without loading up on sodium. It's a new way to eat- it's ok to ease into it. This does not have to be a Red Light/ Green Light game. You have time.

Second- take more rest days! You are working out lower body weights, then running the next day, then HIIT training after that, then running again then more lower body workouts- Give those legs more days off. I know it is scary to scale down the workouts- but you've got to find a happy spot for yourself y'know? Sometimes what I think I should do isn't what my body thinks I should do.

I think by giving your muscles time to recover (which reduces swelling) and also getting a handle on your sodium will alleviate a lot of the swelling you have right now.

Also- keep fueling your body. Cutting calories right now will do NOTHING to help you slim down. Food isn't the problem- it's salt and lack of rest days. Hope your swelling goes down soon and you feel some peace :)
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    I am there with you...i feel so big now I am on the border tonight going back to eating smaller (not as bad as before) portions..All my MFP friends eating fewer calories and dropping weight like crazy..I am to scared to step on the scale but my clothes feel tighter..I am just spazzing : /
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    So sorry you're feeling bummed. I know how you feel, I had to go to church today and had the same issues.. :'(

I completely agree with the lack of rest days. STS is a 3 day program, but it looks like you're doing it much more than that, on top of the running. What you are describing is overtraining. Then there is the issue of consistency, it seems that your cals are all over the charts. Your body doesn't have any idea of what to expect if that's the case. To go from eating 1700-2000 cals down to 800 is only going to destroy your metabolism. You are yo-yoing a bit too much.

I know that the whole "unexpected" of what will happen can sometimes make us freak out a bit, but you can't tell if something is working or not unless you stick to it for at least 4-6 weeks. Anything that happens in less time than that runs the risk of being a fluke. Which is why we all know of these "methods" that "workED" for us in the past, yet we gain the weight back. That should be our first clue to NOT return to that thing, yet it's the opposite. We want to run back to the quick fix. Eating at too low of a cal level drastically slows our metabolism. Fixing that damaged metabolism is not a quick fix, I hate to say it :(

Did you read the "Starvation Diet" study? Did you notice how long the men had to OVEReat before their bodies returned to normal?

Remember that this is something that you're doing to achieve lifelong goals, not just to look good by summer (which of course we all want anyway, but we HAVE to consider the big picture- dropping cals/excessive exercising is a slippery slope)...

This is your life, not The Biggest Loser. You have time, & you have support. We're here to help you find a way to make it work for YOU.

Kiki
  • mommynmotion
    Options
    Kiki,

I know it looks like they were all over the place but I just didn't finish logging for 2 days. My husband had been gone for 2 1/2 weeks and he came home Wed. I didn't log that day becuase it was a crazy day (coming home, not coming home...coming home...oh no, it'll be a few more days...ok, I am coming home at 5pm...oh, now it'll be 8 pm)...I did pay attention and log in my head though. The othe 2 days, I was just so tired that I didn't get back on here in the evening, but I knew what I ate was okay to complete my day. I ate all of my calories a 3 days that weren't complete.

I agree on the sodium thing...I will definately fix that. If you look back before this week...going over is very rare. I am evry sensitive to sodium. We ate the salad bar at Ruby Tuesday (got to go on a date, couldn't even zip my boots all the way up :( ), It always makes me retain and I get nothing but veggies, no pasta or veggie mixes, just salad with a tiny bit of vinigarette. I am very sensitive, so I will be much more careful.

I know STS is 3 days and I am doing more, just one day more...I am doing legs twice per week because that is my problem area (saggy bottom and saddlebags). I am trying to do some cardio almost every day (one day completely off). I am used to running 25-30 miles per week, so it's hard to just stop. I did P90X while running 6 days...I almost always ran, even after Plyometrics...I just run, that's what I do. I have cut back a lot!

I have had a ton of water today and didn't workout, maybe I'll feel a little better tomorrow. I am supposed to do a long run in the morning, I'll see how I feel...right now it hurts to run because of all the swelling.

Do you think, according to my TDEE, that my goal of 1750 net seems right?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Honestly, w/all that running, I'd have to say you're still not eating enough :(

I know you don't want to hear that though. I would normally suggest cutting back on the runs, but I see that you truly enjoy it. In which case I usually say that if you really love it be willing to eat those cals back.

The runs should be taking care of the Legs, if not, it's because your leg muscles are going through atrophy due to the overtraining. Cardio is of course good for you for a myriad of reasons, but you may remember from your personal training studies that more than 20-40 min/day is overkill. I know that maybe you got away with it w/p90x, but as you've seen, STS is an entirely different beast. It is extremely demanding, & your body needs adequate repair time.

The purpose of our bodies holding on to water in the muscles is because it protects the muscles while they undergo repair. If they are never getting adequate repair, then they have no reason to let go of the water. :(

Cardio on days off lifting is usually ok because it helps to release the built up lactic acid in the muscles, but again, too much...is too much. yoga/Pilates are also excellent choices to aid in recovery in off days or on days that you lift.

When I mentioned the cals being all over the place, I was speaking more week to week, not just this past week. You went through a couple higher cal weeks and then dropped down to (you said) 800-1200 cals. That's one extreme to the next, and your body wil react by actually holding on to fat, because it doesn't know where it's supposed to get energy from (since there is no constant source). Mini-bulk/cuts are definitely acceptable, but they should not be so drastic in difference, & never under your BMR.

It's really hard for you to narrow down what is causing what, because there are so many new things happening at once.

You just started a completely new program, are lifting more intensely than ever before, and upped your cals. Your body has to have time to adapt. ;)

Kiki
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Honestly, w/all that running, I'd have to say you're still not eating enough :(

I know you don't want to hear that though. I would normally suggest cutting back on the runs, but I see that you truly enjoy it. In which case I usually say that if you really love it be willing to eat those cals back.

The runs should be taking care of the Legs, if not, it's because your leg muscles are going through atrophy due to the overtraining. Cardio is of course good for you for a myriad of reasons, but you may remember from your personal training studies that more than 20-40 min/day is overkill. I know that maybe you got away with it w/p90x, but as you've seen, STS is an entirely different beast. It is extremely demanding, & your body needs adequate repair time.

The purpose of our bodies holding on to water in the muscles is because it protects the muscles while they undergo repair. If they are never getting adequate repair, then they have no reason to let go of the water. :(

Cardio on days off lifting is usually ok because it helps to release the built up lactic acid in the muscles, but again, too much...is too much. yoga/Pilates are also excellent choices to aid in recovery in off days or on days that you lift.

When I mentioned the cals being all over the place, I was speaking more week to week, not just this past week. You went through a couple higher cal weeks and then dropped down to (you said) 800-1200 cals. That's one extreme to the next, and your body wil react by actually holding on to fat, because it doesn't know where it's supposed to get energy from (since there is no constant source). Mini-bulk/cuts are definitely acceptable, but they should not be so drastic in difference, & never under your BMR.

It's really hard for you to narrow down what is causing what, because there are so many new things happening at once.

You just started a completely new program, are lifting more intensely than ever before, and upped your cals. Your body has to have time to adapt. ;)

Kiki

This is so on point. I had to cut back on cardio because I couldn't eat all the cals. My body started to hold a bitbecause I wasn't netting high enough on cardio das. I slowed the cardio and my body has started releasing again.

We keep thinking if we do more but the body sometimes needs us to do a little less. I am learning I don't need all the cardio with the heavy lifting.