LGBT fiction

Options
Smiler106
Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
I love to read, and I read quite a bit of LGBT fiction, has anybody had a good read recently that they can recomend?

Replies

• blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Do you have a preference of Lesbian or Gay fiction? Karen Kallmaker is a wonderful author in the lesbian category.
  • kericson
    kericson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read Sing You Home by Jody Picoult you must! I also liked Landing by Emma Donoghue.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Val McDermid (or sometime VL Mcdermid) is a Scottish author who has written a vast number of murder mystery/thrillers. She is herself lesbian and one of her serial characters is a lesbian PI called Lindsay Gordon:

Lindsay Gordon series:
    Report for Murder (1987)
    Common Murder (1989)
    Final Edition (1991) US Titles: Open and Shut, Deadline for Murder
    Union Jack (1993), US Title: Conferences are Murder
    Booked for Murder (1996)
    Hostage to Murder (2003)

Her other books often have LGBT characters too and they are amazingly good reads. Some have been developed into TV series, notably Wire In The Blood based on the first three Tony Hill/Carol Jordan books and then developed a life of their own while Val continued writing new books with these characters that were not adapted for TV.

Another of my favourite Tartan Noir authors Stuart MacBride has also a recurring lesbian character DI Roberta Steel. Stuart's books are not for the faint-hearted.

I've read quite a bit of LGBT fiction over the years and some books start well, but then disappoint at the end.

Joe Keenan is a another great author and is also the producer of TV hit Desperate Housewives. His three books Blue Heaven, Putting On The Ritz and My Lucky Star feature various gay and lesbian characters in a sort of art-deco, post-modern world where you're never sure if the 1930s or the 1980s. Have yet to read the last one but the first two had me in stitches with their farcical capers.
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I mostly read lesbian fiction, I'm not really into plain old romances I like to have another story line with it like action/adventure/intreague/ historical drama. I'm quite open minded.

Thanks for those recomendations I'll look them up, I remember Wire in the Blood, that was a great series! I just recently read the Elite Operatives series by Baldwin & Alexiou, I thought they were fabulous I couldn't put them down, I think LGBT fiction has come a long way in recent years there is a lot more out there than there used to be. I also just finished "The thing around your neck" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche.... although it wasn't really an LGBT book there were several gay / lesbian characters... it was an amazing book I really enjoyed it, she is a very talented writer.
  • LoveToWork
    LoveToWork Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love to read. Normal I read computer books..kidding.. Not all the time. Most of the time I read historical books like bios. I think I need a change. I am going to look for some of these to read. Thanks for the postings

Jeanne
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    ML Rhodes writes awesome creature feature type gay lit. probably own more of their stuff than any other author, w/ the exception of JD Robb, but that's one series.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love to read. Normal I read computer books..kidding.. Not all the time. Most of the time I read historical books like bios. I think I need a change. I am going to look for some of these to read. Thanks for the postings

Jeanne

I've just recently, finally, read the old classic 'The Well of Loneliness' by Radclyffe Hall. I found it really interesting for lots of reasons not least being the historical elements. Also recently enjoyed 'The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas' by Gertrude Stein. I'm now keen to read 'The Alice B. Toklas Cook Book'.
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    Sarah Waters writes some great lesbian fiction, too. Girlfriend recommended one of her books to me, and I have read all of them. Tipping the Velvet is excellent, as is Affinity. :)
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Great thread thanks to the OP.

I've managed to source a bunch of the recommendations here as eBooks. Many sleepless nights coming up. You know what they say... So many books, so little bed-time

Also, I was reminded of 'The Monkey's Mask' by Dorothy Porter. The story is a crime thriller written in verse and became an Australian classic. Well worth reading. It also was made into a movie starring (among a bunch of Australians) Kelly McGillis.

In case you don't know, Kelly - yes the one from Top Gun - recently came out, so a movie well worth watching also.
  • ragekage21
    ragekage21 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not to plug myself, but I'm working on a novel right now with a lesbian main character! I'll let you all know when I find an agent and get published (ha, ha). Hopefully in under ten years! LOL
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i haven't read any new lesbian fiction in a long time. i go back to reading my staples "dare, truth or promise" and "some girls." fingersmith is awesome for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

"choices" in the beginning was pretty good, too. i don't how i feel about the rest of the book though, lol.
  • plethorax
    plethorax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like a return to the classics, too - Written on the Body or really anything by Jeanette Winterson, Rubyfruit Jungle, Rent Girl (a graphic novel, and I do mean graphic)... Well of Loneliness is so lovely!
  • __Ang__
    __Ang__ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Elite Op recommendation. I'm on the 3rd book very quick reads.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    *kitten* of lost atlantis by charles busch. creator of vampire lesbians of sodom
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Laurie R. King - Kate Martinelli series. The main character is an LA cop. Really enjoyed that series.
  • textlikekisses
    Options
    Not all "lesbian" based, but some of my favorite Gay Books :)

Middlesex By Jeffrey Eugenides
    Tipping the Velvet By Sarah Waters
    Tommy's Tale: A novel By Allan Cummings
    Running with Scissors By Augusten Burroughs
    Disco Bloodbath (also published as "Party Monster") by James St. James
    and you must read Sanctuary by Paul Monette - it's about a female fox and a female rabbit who fall in love - it's adorable.
  • triplejay1
    triplejay1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In S.M Stirlings Island in the sea of Time trilogy (sci-fi) two of the main characters are gay.
    And in his Dies the fire Books several of the secondary characters are gay as well.

These are all science fiction books.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    In S.M Stirlings Island in the sea of Time trilogy (sci-fi) two of the main characters are gay.
    And in his Dies the fire Books several of the secondary characters are gay as well.

These are all science fiction books.
    ellen kushner ( I think) sword point.
    anne mccaffrey's dragonriders series is friendly
  • plethorax
    plethorax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not fiction, but reads like it: Jeanette Winterson just came out with a new memoir, "Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?"
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yep, the new Winterson is wonderful. I really like the 50s series by Ann Bannon which starts with Beebo Brinker - about a young butch finding her sexual identity - pretty interesting stuff given when it was written. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Bannon

My friend Jonathan Kemp has written some really wonderful books about gay male relationships, I strangly recommend London Triptych. :-)