Quitting Smoking & Still Continue to Lose Weight?

Options
synergyabc
synergyabc Posts: 16 Member
I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with quiting and still losing weight?

I'm quitting smoking tomorrow with Nicoderm CQ.... Started the Insanity workout 10 days ago. I am hoping that if I continue to focus on the workout and my diet that I will continue to lose weight. I quit last July cold turkey for 3 months and managed to maintain but didn't eat healthy at all, although I took up bicycling a few days a week. I am hoping that by using an aid I will be able to gradually get off of the stimulant without a drastic sudden drop in my heart rate and not as many cravings. All I know is that I am ready to be healthy and the smoke is getting in my way!

Replies

• doubleh64
    doubleh64 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 months ago. Used the patch for 6 weeks and now have been nicotine free for the past 2 weeks. I had gained 10 pounds (on top of some leftover "holiday" weight and being overweight to start with) during my quit but joined here, got myself a treadmill, tracked my food and started exercising and I lost 5 lbs the first week. So, I am hoping, yes, it can be done because I intend to do it. I don't ever want to smoke again and I will get this weight off.
    Good luck to you and feel free to add me if you like.
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking one week ago cold turkey and I have lost three pounds in the intervening time. I'm going to the gym 6 days a week and tracking my food. Lots of fruit, veggies, and water. Feel free to add me.
  • synergyabc
    synergyabc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thats great! They say that your heart rate drops, plus you have cravings for sweets... or just to shove anything in your mouth. lol So it makes sence that the solutions would be diet and exercise. It looks like both of you are making great progress! I delayed my quit date for a minute because I'm scared! :'( Thank you for the inspiration!!!!
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I quit about 2 weeks ago using the patch. I lost 3 lbs so far but haven't lost any this week. I also haven't put on any weight. I try to drink a lot of water and green tea during the day and I try to exercise at least 4-5 times a week. If I get hungry I chew gum or suck on a sugar free mint which also helps with any urges to smoke even with the patch.

Keep tracking your food, everything you consume. You'll know when you've reached your daily limit.