30 Day Shred & Strength Training

Options
Hi All.

I just did my first 30 day shred session yesterday. Admittedly, I didn't know much about it other than that it was a fairly popular workout among MFPers. I loved the work out, even though I did have to yell at the TV a few times in frustration coz it was so hard for me!

I didn't realise that there was such a big weights component to it. I had done a strength workout (at the gym) the day before and found that my shoulders particularly were very sore doing some of the exercises.

It may just be that I need to work up a bit more strength and will become used to the workout over time. But, maybe I should not be doing this in conjunction with strength training as it won't give my muscles enough rest.

My question is, should I do this instead of or in addition to my regular strength training? Or do I need to make a compromise like doing the 30 day shred on the same day as my strength training and then taking a day off in between and just doing cardio?

Replies

• LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think the choice is yours, how do you feel , can you manage it , if so yeah do it, but dont overdo it. It's tough but you can get used to it . xx
  • CaitlinR85
    Options
    I feel that I could do any of the options. I'm just concerned about giving my muscles enough recovery time. :smile:
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    I think it depends on how heavy you are lifting, for how much time, etc - I take at least two days off in between my strength training gym days (I do 1/2 an hour with weights), but I also do the 30 ds workout every day.. I was sore at first but now my body is adapting. I'd say go for it and really push yourself - you will only get stronger.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try using lower weights fo the shred on days after you've been weight training untill you get more used to the shred?
  • CaitlinR85
    Options
    Good advice guys!! Thanks so much for your responses :)
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi, and congrats to starting 30day shred. Um I too go to the gym and do alot of my cardio and weight training there as well. then My 2nd workout is late afternoon, which is the 30day shred. My suggestion is keep doin ur 30day shred daily, If u miss a day just get back on the next day. and also if u want to and im sure it will maximize ur results keep goin to the gym. And to give ur muscles time to recover. SWITCH up your routine if u dont do that already. ex:
    Mon- lower body weights/strength
    Tue- upper body weights/ strength
    Wed- CARDIO
    Thur.-lower body weights/strength
    Fri.-upper body weights/ strength
    SAT AND SUN-OPTIONAL
    thats kind of what my sched. looks like :) Hope this helps.