Protein shake after workout

Options
RepsnSets
RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
Hi,

I see in the book it recommends you have a shake after your workout.

I train at lunchtime and sometimes before dinner. Should I still have my shake followed shortly after by lunch or dinner?

Ive tried the shake after a workout and 10 minutes later Im still hungry.

Thanks for your feedback

Replies

• alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always do a shake or protein bar after working out. I'll be damned if I lug the weights around but don't get results because I skipped an effing protein shake.

I would say that the answer to your question depends on the calories of your shake. I'm guessing it's only 120 calories and a mix of refined sugar/protein, which is why you're still hungry after. In that case, I say eat lunch.

My big focus is staying within my calorie goal and distributing them throughout the day. How I achieve that goal can manifest in different ways.

Good luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake immediately after my workout for two reasons. First, it's when your body is most agreeable to absorbing the protein. Second, I need the shake to meet my daily protein requirements (35% of total calories). I don't drink protein shakes to control hunger.

I use 100% pure whey protein isolate. It's the lowest in calories, carbs and fat. No fillers or artificial stuff; just pure, fast-absorbing high-quality protein.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake immediately after my workout for two reasons. First, it's when your body is most agreeable to absorbing the protein. Second, I need the shake to meet my daily protein requirements (35% of total calories). I don't drink protein shakes to control hunger.

I do the same.
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    Awesome, thanks ladies.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Okay, maybe this is a dumb question, but how immediately after a workout do you drink the shake? I usually like to shower and head home (5 minutes away, tops) and then bust out the blender. Should I get it in sooner, you think?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Meal timings are pretty much irrelevant, just as long as you take in the extra shake within the next 12 hours you'll be fine.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    goo to know. I like to drive home and change first too, so my shake is about 20 min after workout, and it goes down dso good like my quenching a desperate thirst.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Okay, maybe this is a dumb question, but how immediately after a workout do you drink the shake? I usually like to shower and head home (5 minutes away, tops) and then bust out the blender. Should I get it in sooner, you think?
    It's best to drink it within 30 minutes after completing your lifting session.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i typically eat dinner after a workout and since dinner is high protein i wait to have a shake until later in the evening as more of a dessert
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh at me, but I make it before I leave the house put it in a metal insulated cup, hit the Iron, shower at the gym and yep...I drink it in the shower. Only because after I dress I'm on the road running around or whatever. So super silly I know!

Don't judge:noway:
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh at me, but I make it before I leave the house put it in a metal insulated cup, hit the Iron, shower at the gym and yep...I drink it in the shower. Only because after I dress I'm on the road running around or whatever. So super silly I know!

Don't judge:noway:

I'm never hungry right after my workout, but my husband totally does this!! Also because he works out early and doesn't want to wake everyone with the blender, so he makes his shakes the night before and then puts it in a jar in the fridge to take with him :-)
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds like an awesome idea- anyone know how well the consistency fares if you use ice and fruit and then freeze/or refrigerate?
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    Its been a couple of weeks or so since I started this thread and Ive been having my shake after my workout and then half an hour later eating a small lunch and feeling nice and full.

Ive noticed this stage one of the programme that Ive lost a few cms off the lower body I wonder if thats cause of my programme im doing as stage one involves a lot of lower body work.

Scale weight isnt all that though!! I need to throw em out. Plays havoc on the mind....
  • samntha14
    Options
    I know that feeling. My wight loss has completely stalled since increasing my calories. I'd go insane if it weren't for my tape measure. :noway:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

I use 100% pure whey protein isolate. It's the lowest in calories, carbs and fat. No fillers or artificial stuff; just pure, fast-absorbing high-quality protein.

What brand of protein powder do you use? I have been using Jay Robb, which is also 100% whey isolate protein but it's pricey. I'm wondering if there are less expensive isolate powders out there that are just as good ingredient wise as Jay Robb. So far all the powders I researched have ingredients I just don't want to ingest(like soy, wheat, milk, weird artificial sweeteners, colors, etc).
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm on genisoy choc flavour, but only cos I thought it was all i could get here. Now i've found Optimum whey, but i can't really justify the cost of a massive tub until i've finished the soy stuff i have!

On a related note, I made a shaker, I bought a cheapie screw-lid 300ml plastic pot, marked measurements on the side with a permanent marker, and threw in a little ceramic ball I had from a spice crusher. You could probably use a golf ball or a big glass marble. I like that it saves washing up a measuring jug and a blender. Just shake it up and gulp!
  • julesx66x
    Options

What brand of protein powder do you use? I have been using Jay Robb, which is also 100% whey isolate protein but it's pricey. I'm wondering if there are less expensive isolate powders out there that are just as good ingredient wise as Jay Robb. So far all the powders I researched have ingredients I just don't want to ingest(like soy, wheat, milk, weird artificial sweeteners, colors, etc).

check out bluebonnet whey protein isolate - that is a big requirement for me too - I don't want a bunch of ingredients, bluebonnet has whey and stevia - i blend it w/ 1/2-1 frozen banana and it tasteds good post work out.

http://www.bluebonnetnutrition.com/product/292/100%_Natural_Whey_Protein_Isolate_Powder_-_Flavors
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

check out bluebonnet whey protein isolate - that is a big requirement for me too - I don't want a bunch of ingredients, bluebonnet has whey and stevia - i blend it w/ 1/2-1 frozen banana and it tasteds good post work out.

http://www.bluebonnetnutrition.com/product/292/100%_Natural_Whey_Protein_Isolate_Powder_-_Flavors

It's funny because the ingredient list just says undenatured whey protein isolate, natural flavor, stevia. However the label also says it contains milk and soybeans. I don't see soy listed as an ingredient anywhere.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Finally bought some shake mix. Has anyone tried shaking the the powder and mixing it in their food like the book suggested? Frankly I don't like everything tasting like vanilla. I sprinkled some on my Strawberry Greek yogurt and it tasted like vanilla pudding.
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    Finally bought some shake mix. Has anyone tried shaking the the powder and mixing it in their food like the book suggested? Frankly I don't like everything tasting like vanilla. I sprinkled some on my Strawberry Greek yogurt and it tasted like vanilla pudding.

I usually only add mine to yoghurt but Ive given yoghurt the flick so just drink it as it is with added water. I just shook mine and the lid was off...Chocolate whey all over the show :(