Running too ?

Options
amsparky
amsparky Posts: 825 Member
Hi all!

My apologies in advance if this has already been asked, but I'm curious about your schedule if you are also a runner. Run after lifting? Run on non lift days? What works for you? I'm not a high mileage runner, but plan to keep training while trying this lifting program.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the longest run of the week is a 45 minute run i do on fridays (i lift sun-tues-thurs)

3 days a week i'll also do 15-20 minutes run training for speed, i plan on adding a bit more time to those shorter runs as the weeks go on.

not high mileage by any means, but i'm still hoping to e ready for a 10K by september.

oh yeah , when i take time off between stages, i plan on doing a lot of running
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    I run after lifting and take a FULL rest day of "leg rest" after that...

Day one: Lower body and abs, then run
    day two: arms and shoulders only.
    day three: Run. might lift depending on how sore my legs are at that point.
    (if very sore, I just lift, if they feel good - not stiff, and only slightly sore - I will lift and run)

I shoot for three lifting sessions on legs and three on my upper body/back each week, and at least three, (max four) runs.
    As my mileage goes up, I will stop increasing my lifts, and just continue to lift the same amount to maintain muscle (because too much muscle mass does become counterproductive to distance runners.)

I AM open to criticism about this routine, though so far it has been working really well. =)

I think the key is knowing that at some point, you need to be lifting to maintain and stop trying to gain mass. Accept that running will train slow twitch muscle fibers and that your body will become more efficient with the calories that it gets.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i lift mon/thus/sat and run 5k tues/fri with rest days wed/sun. so far so good, but if i start to feel fatigued during my runs i'll have to rethink it.
  • amsparky
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

My issue is that once the lifting routines get more involved, I might not have the leg strength for both. I do plyometrics on Sat, so if I lift 3 days and run 3 days, there are no off days. I'd prefer no off days, but know its counter productive. I'm also a bit OCD, so I have to have my routine set in advance. Lol

Thanks again!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    amsparky just cross that bridge when you come to it.

i think a lot of this is also about conditioning. the program will start to get longer but perhaps by then you'll have the stamina to do both.

then again, i suppose advice is going to be different depending on the distances you're training for. i can see marathon training being counterproductive, but what about 5K and 10K? those are still pretty much sprint distances.

also do you do any cross training? i think you could switch out one of the runs for a different type cardio (like rowing) but still get benefits for running.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I run after lifting. I'm doing Week 4 of C25K. I can only do half but I'll get to a full run soon!

I do have a full rest day in between with only a 30 min walk
  • amsparky
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

My goal is going to be to do lifting with intervals or stairclimbers, then running on the off days (with the exception of Saturdays) - we'll see how it goes!

I bumped back up to Bridge 210K, so I don't want to do wts and an hour of jogging on the same day! :)

Good luck everyone!