Is 3 slices of bacon everyday safe?

Options
Jules_Rules
Jules_Rules Posts: 8 Member
My hub and I are on diets, while mine is a little more higher in carbs than his strict first phase Atkins diet (which he has been sticking to since September 2011) I am getting a little worried about the amount of Bacon he consumes. Does anyone else start their day with 3 eggs and 3 thick cut strips of bacon? Its going on 6 mths and while he is losing a lot of weight I am scared for other medical conditions this could be causing. Any thoughts??? Is there such a thing as to much meat??
Thanks =)

Replies

• QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I eat 100-120g of bacon plus two eggs for breakfast. I also try and use up the bacon grease to fry mushrooms or curly kale etc. There really is no reason not to eat bacon fat, it's polyunsaturated fats that are really bad for you.
  • MamaGLUe
    MamaGLUe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Check out Gary Taubes ' blog- he's been eating that way for years and his blood work is amazing. It's counter to what we've been taught but it's really ok to eat a lot of meat
  • MamaGLUe
    Options
    Check out Gary Taubes ' blog- he's been eating that way for years and his blood work is amazing. It's counter to what we've been taught but it's really ok to eat a lot of meat
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Taubes is good - this article just came out about which fats are good.
    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

He is loosing weight - not because his heart is about to explode - it is because he is getting healthier. Clearly much healthier than before he started the bacon and egg bfast
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Bacon is sexy.... LOL!!!!

Yeah, as long as he is getting the variety he needs in Phase 1, it shouldnt be as bad as you think. My total CHO number went DOWN to 117 and I allowed myself to enjoy butter, bacon, eggs, steak twice per week, etc...
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Six months is a good time to go get a blood panel done by your doctor. Did you have it done before you began?
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    the new atkins includes tons of veggies- that is where the carbs come from. That amount of bacon and eggs is totally okay in my opinion and especially as long as he is eating veggies with his other meals.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I eat 100-120g of bacon plus two eggs for breakfast. I also try and use up the bacon grease to fry mushrooms or curly kale etc. There really is no reason not to eat bacon fat, it's polyunsaturated fats that are really bad for you.

Not exactly. Polyunsaturated fats can be cis or trans. Trans are really bad. Polyunsaturated cis fats as well as monounsaturated fats are really good. They help lower LDL. Saturated fats are ok in moderation.

The thing with bacon though is it's loaded with sodium and additives like nitrite.
    Have you tried turkey bacon? It's a better option than traditional bacon.

Your husband should probably get some blood tests done (everyone should anyway, at least once a year).
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    wikipedia is a good source of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon
  • cramernh
    Options

Not exactly. Polyunsaturated fats can be cis or trans. Trans are really bad. Polyunsaturated cis fats as well as monounsaturated fats are really good. They help lower LDL. Saturated fats are ok in moderation.

The thing with bacon though is it's loaded with sodium and additives like nitrite.

Your husband should probably get some blood tests done (everyone should anyway, at least once a year).

Turkey bacon is worse than bacon for the additives, preservatives and often MORE sodium/sodium family based chemicals.
    It is highly processed, more than traditional pork belly - bacon... pork belly bacon is much healthier
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Taubes is good - this article just came out about which fats are good.
    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

He is loosing weight - not because his heart is about to explode - it is because he is getting healthier. Clearly much healthier than before he started the bacon and egg bfast

Excellent article...particulary liked this bit...

"What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods."
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If concerned, try to buy nitrate free bacon....
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with bacon at all. While even Dr. Atkins himself cautioned about nitrates, I think that the issue has gotten way out of control, and most likely started by anti-low carb fear mongers. Since the diet isn't actually killing anyone like they say it will, they need to make up new boogie-men to hide in the low carb closet (so to speak).

I've eaten a pound of bacon a day for 6+ month stretches in the past and my blood work actually improved and I was loosing weight. What's really worse, being overweight or obese, or getting few too many nitrates? People have no problem stuffing their faces with higher carb fare that causes a host of other issues, but are afraid to eat some bacon...

I know a few people that cure their own bacon too, supposed to be pretty simple and you don't get any of the nitrates when you make it yourself.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Sodium is bad for you if you eat too much of it. However if you go LC and stop eating processed food, there is a good chance that your sodium intake is much lower then it was before even if you eat a lot of bacon.

Nitrates are really bad for you ,and most deli cuts are loaded with them. However there are a few companies have nitrate free brands.

For example Maple Leaf Natural Selection, and Schneider also has a line called Country Naturals. These brands have all kinds of deli :different hams, turkey, chicken roast, salami, hot dogs and bacon all nitrate free, MSG free,Preservatives free.

The Maple leaf Natural Selection Bacon is hardwood smoked , which means the flavour comes from actual old fashion smoking, and not using liquid smoke , which is a weird chemical that used almost every other bacon out there.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I don't think too much salt is a concern on a low-carb diet (you should eat more, not less) because it will be excreted unlike on a high-carb diet where it is retained in the body. If you are worried about your hubby's health, ask him to get bloodwork done to see how the diet has affected him. I have never done this, but am thinking of going in just to see. I've been low-carbing, eating 4-6 eggs and bacon or sausage most days, for about 3 months and I have never *felt* healthier. I can't imagine I'm killing myself if I actually feel better, not only that but I'm performing better in my running.
  • Jules_Rules
    Jules_Rules Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Its funny that is what my hubby is saying too, that he has never felt better!! He is more alert and has energy to burn, he's looking awake and vibrant, he's a different man! He is doing an amazing job at dropping the pounds and is already down 40+ pounds since November! Gone from a 44in (almost 46in) waist down to a 38in...yay him!!

I will be suggesting he gets some blood work done to see where he is at and will also suggest he gets low or nitrate free bacon. We are lucky to have a butcher up the hill who cures his own, its just a little pricy but I think its worth it!
    Thanks for all your feed back, its helped put this neurotic wife's mind at ease =)

Cheers
    Julia
  • cramernh
    Options
    Its funny that is what my hubby is saying too, that he has never felt better!! He is more alert and has energy to burn, he's looking awake and vibrant, he's a different man! He is doing an amazing job at dropping the pounds and is already down 40+ pounds since November! Gone from a 44in (almost 46in) waist down to a 38in...yay him!!

I will be suggesting he gets some blood work done to see where he is at and will also suggest he gets low or nitrate free bacon. We are lucky to have a butcher up the hill who cures his own, its just a little pricy but I think its worth it!
    Thanks for all your feed back, its helped put this neurotic wife's mind at ease =)

Cheers
    Julia

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0974.html

This is excellent reading on the whole nitrates, nitrites and evidence to prove we are already consuming foods that contain it naturally....
  • MamaGLUe
    Options
    I just had a chance to read the articles suggested by mikebyron and cramernh in this thread. Thank you! Very informative. The image of sugarresponse putting a scrub brush to my arteries will stick with me and help me resist temptation.
    Jules Rules I think you should have no worries for your husband. Personally I have had really great blood work results after following Atkins for a year, even though I did it imperfectly and didn't maintain all the weight loss I wanted. More veggies and meat and less junk from a box will do wonders!
  • cashartle
    cashartle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband and I bond every couple of weeks by frying up 10-12 pounds of bacon in advance. We pack it into large ziplock containers and store it in the freezer. Each morning he gets 4 strips and I get 3, fresh and hot out of the microwave. We started using gulatys bacon considering they do not use sugar. We switched to hormel thick slice for the sheer joy and taste satisfaction. I truly believe that if everyone ate a slice or two of bacon in the morning, road rage would be eliminated. It just makes you happy.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    My hub and I are on diets, while mine is a little more higher in carbs than his strict first phase Atkins diet (which he has been sticking to since September 2011) I am getting a little worried about the amount of Bacon he consumes. Does anyone else start their day with 3 eggs and 3 thick cut strips of bacon? Its going on 6 mths and while he is losing a lot of weight I am scared for other medical conditions this could be causing. Any thoughts??? Is there such a thing as to much meat??
    Thanks =)

Yeh, there can be too much meat, check out Rabbit Starvation for the effects of too much protein (we can't store protein and can only process about 30g in one meal).

But ... my favourite breakfast is 4 large eggs and a shedload of bacon all scrambled up with some cheese and if that is doing me any harm then I will take much convincing as I am shedding weight and feeling way energised. Compared to my days of toast or cereal (or no breakfast) this is a revelation.

We have evolved to eat a wide variety of foods (grains obviously excepted) and have survived and thrived on a meat-rich diet when carbohydrates were not available due to climatic change.

Check this out for a well-cited study on how we perform on a meat-heavy diet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilhjalmur_Stefansson#Low-carbohydrate_diet_of_meat_and_fish

My OH is yet to be convinced also but I do note she is eating less bread/pasta/rice and mentions she feels better for it ...

(edit) Ah yeh, and I cook it in proper full monty butter :)