I think it's the NAME that's the problem

Options
Okay. There is A LOT of hatred for the paleo/primal lifestyle, and I think it has to do with the name, to be honest. When I was in college back in the 90's, I had a few friends who cut out processed food, white flour, refined sugar and starchy veg; they just felt like these were unnecessary for their bodies, and were making some effort to be healthy. Nearly 20 years later, one of those friends is STILL eating this way...and she can say in honesty, she hasn't touched white flour since 1993, and is still maintaining great health with a variety of veggies, fruits, a litttle meat (she was a bit fussy about her meat). I lost track of the others, so I don't know if they are still following their original plan.

My point is, this kind of eating existed way before labelling it paleo or primal, so I know it isn't a fad diet. I just think that maybe people get turned off when they see the name...and they won't even begin to consider the fact that it isn't Atkins or a 'typical' low carb diet; carbs are NOT the enemy here...but some of the the foods that carbs tend to come in are potentially the enemy!

Just a rant, I guess...I was just on the message boards and for every good post about how positive this lifestyle is, there are 10 misinformed, really aggressive posts about how we're all stupid and going to kill ourselves or gain all the weight we lose back the minute we decide to indulge in a cupcake/potato/slice of bread. I need to just step away from the computer!!!

Replies

• dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I saw the thread. I do think the term "paleo" is a handicap, it encourages people to point out the evidence that early humans did eat grain, and insects, and yada yada lol cavemen.

But really, ANYTHING other than starving yourself and overtraining is a fad diet according to the main forums. Ignore. Ignore ignore ignore. Much better that way!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show there is a market for MyPaleoPal.com
    :)
    yea - it is confusing how upset people get and call paleo/primal people angry and mean. I have seen nothing but support in this community.
    Most all of us know the "strict" rules are variable from person to person - its more philosophy than strict rules.

I had another person pull me aside and ask about what they should or shouldn't be eating. They were shocked I was downing 4 eggs, 4 slices of bacon, large slice of ham - but turned down the "free" stack of pancakes that comes with it.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Agree Paleo/primal has a PR problem :-) There are different results for different people based on the ratios of fat, carb, protein they choose and varying opinions on carbs specifically. Aside from the whole issue of whether this was the diet of humans for hundreds of thousands of years. Our modern food sources can never exactly duplicate that diet even if we knew what it was, however the very elemental nature of eating this way--whatever it's called--is about avoiding modern processed foods. And that does include dairy, soy, legumes, grains (including wheat, rice, corn etc), modern vegetable seed oils, and processed sweeteners. It amazes me that I'm told I need a more balanced diet that includes variety: cereal, beans, bagels and pasta ... these are all made from the same thing: plants. It's like saying eating hamburger, steaks, and roast is a varied diet. When I point out that I'm eating animals and plants, just not a particular plants, that doesn't go over well for some reason (too rational? haha!) Yet mainstream nutrition is most accommodating of vegetarians and vegans whose diet does not include the healthiest half of an omnivore diet: animals.

It's sad that media seizes on the paleo, caveman, hunter gatherer terms and skews this way of eating as ridiculous and a fad. People jump on board and criticize without trying it or grasping the health reaons why it's positive; "diet" has become all about weight control and not about being thoughtful with food choices. It's hard to push back against the monolithic imprinting of decades of food advertising and propaganda. How can Lucky Charms or Sugar Crisp be evil?
  • kcmg0730
    kcmg0730 Posts: 96
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies...and you've all said all the things I've been really thinking about in the month since I started my journey. I know that some of it is that we don't know each poster personally, so how are they to know that I have spent my whole life battling compulsive binge eating, losing and gaining the same 30 pounds all the while trying to beat myself into thinking that moderation is key?? So..now, I am eating better than I've ever eaten before, have been able to indulge in very small amounts of stuff that I would formerly just mindlessly stuff my face with, weigh less and feel better...but because I have no 'science' to support all that, somehow it's a fad diet!! I have also been a real champion for eating real food for several years now, and I feel like this step is the final one into finally reaching the goal of eating mindfully with a conscience.

I just need to stay away from the boards, and trust that I am on a path that I can stick with permanently. I am so glad for the support on this board, so thanks all for being here!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think people get the wrong idea because all they hear is you don't eat pasta and beans and grains...

Also this is nothing new...there have been a number of "diets" that relayed on the idea of Paleo/Primal (Atkins, South Beach)

I think there is a fundamental difference between a diet and a lifestyle...I have spent many years dieting...after lots of reading and soul searching I made the decision to change the way i eat as my lifestyle...

does that mean I'll never eat grains again...nope...does that mean I will never have a bean again in my life - nope...to me it means for the bulk of my food sources I am choosing meats, veggies and fruits as the major bulk of my food fuel...

We have a ton of chocolate and girl scout cookies hanging around my house right now...I am not even tempted I said to my husband the other day - I wonder how mnay times before I would walk by and grab a handful of crap just because - not because I was hungry...but just because it was there...

I will say I have been more adventerous since turing to this lifestyle...I now love Bok Choy and I am learning to love Brussel Sprouts (have had some good recipies and some not so good) - I am finally eating the deer my husband has hunted as he makes me Paleo friendly (uses sugar free spice and coconut aminos) jerky...
  • kcmg0730
    kcmg0730 Posts: 96
    Options
    does that mean I'll never eat grains again...nope...does that mean I will never have a bean again in my life - nope...to me it means for the bulk of my food sources I am choosing meats, veggies and fruits as the major bulk of my food fuel...

This is the key. I think people get hung up on the restrictive nature (which cracks me up, because I feel LESS restricted eating this way) because you are eliminating a food group. And though I will probably live the rest of my life quite happily never eating bread (which I've never really liked anyway) or pasta (which, let's face it, is simply a vehicle for a fabulous sauce, so who needs it, really?), I know that once I am at my goal weight, I will add natural things like potatoes and fruits back into my diet in reasonable quantities, but I am not willing to go back to factory made foods.

I don't get it. Conventional wisdom of a high carb diet has led to 1 in 3 Americans being obese, and 2 in 3 being overweight. But somehow, conventional wisdom is the only one that works?? And we're being 'stupid' for getting rid of all the over processed food on offer?? hmmmm....
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know I get some pushback, but I think that's mainly because I'm still 325 lbs. One of the interesting dichotomies I've experienced is that I've done a lot of research on our bodies, how it looses weight, etc however since I'm still fat no one will believe me. Clearly my information can't be very good or else I wouldn't be fat, right? I can't really argue very much with that point.

However, I've lost almost 40 lbs in 2 months and I'm hoping to finally be able to take off the rest of the weight. I suspect people might listen better when they see my transformation.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I know I get some pushback, but I think that's mainly because I'm still 325 lbs. One of the interesting dichotomies I've experienced is that I've done a lot of research on our bodies, how it looses weight, etc however since I'm still fat no one will believe me. Clearly my information can't be very good or else I wouldn't be fat, right? I can't really argue very much with that point.

However, I've lost almost 40 lbs in 2 months and I'm hoping to finally be able to take off the rest of the weight. I suspect people might listen better when they see my transformation.

CONGRATS!!!!!

I am to a point where people are really starting to notice...so hang in there....it will come :)
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options

You know we've got your back, buddy. I think you are such a grok star!
  • QuakerMom
    QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    (...) I have also been a real champion for eating real food for several years now, and I feel like this step is the final one into finally reaching the goal of eating mindfully with a conscience.

I just need to stay away from the boards, and trust that I am on a path that I can stick with permanently. I am so glad for the support on this board, so thanks all for being here!

My thoughts exactly. I too have been moving in this direction for over 10 years now, just didn't know this was where it would lead, and finally feel like this is truly a lifestyle change I can live with, long term. In the past I've gone on and off wheat/bread/gluten and sometimes other grains, but always slid back eventually because I was never really sure it was making a real difference in my health. Now that I've taken out ALL grains, plus sugars, the difference is so much more evident that this clears up why i was only partly successful in the past.
  • QuakerMom
    QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
    Options

This is my approach too. I think the longer i am following this way of eating, the less those things will even occur to me to eat, and -- I hope -- the less they will affect me when I do occasionally indulge, e.g., social occasions when I choose to make exceptions.

We have a ton of chocolate and girl scout cookies hanging around my house right now...I am not even tempted I said to my husband the other day - I wonder how mnay times before I would walk by and grab a handful of crap just because - not because I was hungry...but just because it was there...

So do we! And I too am not even tempted. Today I looked at some of the chocolate candies in our pantry and thought, well, I could have a craving for that if I tried, and less than two months ago i would have 'reserved' a few extra calories for some of those treats at the end of the day. But now, I can pretty easily just look right past them.

This weekend i was at a wedding and didn't even think of touching the wedding cake, while everyone around me was enjoying it (I will say it looked better than some dreadful wedding cakes, but still didn't tempt me). A few months ago that would have never happened.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    You are right. People don't stop and think that it is truly a Philosophy and a template. I guess they just don't want to understand.

I am training my family well. :laugh:

They all know how I eat and ask what I can have off of the proposed menu when family get togethers come around. Also, I take new recipes and such an no one has not liked what I have brought.

Now, if I am at work, school, etc I will eat what is put in front of me. My last week in my Cisco class was filled with doughnuts, bagels and such each morning. I had one because it was offered and I am still suffering the achiness in and around my knees, hips, wrists and elbows.

Sad part about that is..........our instructor eats Paleo also, but he brings the crap food in because he and I are in the minority.
  • cracked_belle
    cracked_belle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    the trick is not to focus on a particular "fad diet" or whatever. it's to look at what you do as having *healthy eating habits*. people can call it whatever the *kitten* they want. but the idea is to be aware of with what you're attempting to fuel your body. so rock on!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I was just on the message boards and for every good post about how positive this lifestyle is, there are 10 misinformed, really aggressive posts about how we're all stupid and going to kill ourselves or gain all the weight we lose back the minute we decide to indulge in a cupcake/potato/slice of bread.

I don't think this is true... i think our GI tract will reject it and we'll get explosive diarrhea instead of gaining all our weight back. lol

And I agree... the name is not very appealing.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Same here. No one hears me out b/c I'm not skinny. it's like trusting a fat personal trainer... they might know their stuff, but because they don't look the part, people find it hard to accept their word. It's crap.

I know this is better b/c I FEEL better. That's all the proof I need!
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show there is a market for MyPaleoPal.com
    :)

Seriously. That's be pretty cool. But what would you guys call it if you could rename it?
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Same here. No one hears me out b/c I'm not skinny. it's like trusting a fat personal trainer... they might know their stuff, but because they don't look the part, people find it hard to accept their word. It's crap.

I know this is better b/c I FEEL better. That's all the proof I need!

I don't think no one hears you out "b/c you're not skinny". I've reached my goal weight and am "skinny" and I still get a lot of pushback from people who ask me about my eating habits. People will go from saying "omg, you look so great and look at your skin! It's glowing!" to "omg, you're going to kill yourself eating that way. You need grains, they're heart healthy!" in a heartbeat. I suspect it has nothing to do with the size of the person eating paleo/primal and everything to do with their own opinions on what is or isn't healthy.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Yeah the name really irks me. It stirs up all kinds of comments and judgement. It sounds better to say "i don't eat processed foods". I have lost over 30 lbs and my family is like "omg chels you look so good blah blah blah... But you aren't gonna do this forever? I mean you arr young you can't like this forever" UGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS MAKES ME WANT TO BREAK SOMETHING LOL. Like its missing out to be 24 and not eat those foods but when I was 24 and obese and felt like crap and humiliated at the way I looked and disgusted at myself that was livin the life right???? But yeah I don't like the name paleo. Also, as far as what mikeybyron said, its true that we get called angry and zealots and crazy and nasty and whatever else but everyone I have become friends with on here or had interactions with on the forums from this community of paleo eaters have been supportive and generous and helpful. I just don't see how we are considered angry haha