S**t SAD People Say

Options
GalaxyDuck
GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
I try not to spend much time on the normal boards on MFP any more because it's just too frustrating. Paleo seems to be discussed/argued about a lot, with a lot of misinformation and general assumptions from people who know nothing about it but say "I could never give up _____, this is not a lifestyle I could live with". I made the mistake of clicking on one of those topics today, just sort of hoping that maybe there was something good in there.

Long story short, here's what that thread reminded me of! Got a kick out of some of these and thought I'd share them:
http://paleohacks.com/questions/94875/st-sad-people-say#axzz1oup6EIot

Replies

• njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh we can so much fun adding to this. I'll go first:

"But what, cavemen lived to be like 20?"
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    Yea that one always cracks me up. Yep, cavemen only lived to 30 and it was their diets that killed them, not the environmental challenges they faced.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Usually, its the people who have never actually tried Paleo/Primal that have the most to say about how bad it is..
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just had a coworker *this morning* tell me he bought a box of Snackwells and they're FAT FREE!!!! I was like... They're fat free because they're all sugar and sugar doesn't have any fat in it... good luck not eating the whole box in one sitting and then being hungry 5 minutes later!
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    Usually, its the people who have never actually tried Paleo/Primal that have the most to say about how bad it is..

Exactly. And the people who are not even willing to try it. When you say "Oh I can't give up ____", what you're really saying is "Oh I WON'T give up _____". How do you know you can't give something up if you don't even try?
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Long story short, here's what that thread reminded me of! Got a kick out of some of these and thought I'd share them:
    http://paleohacks.com/questions/94875/st-sad-people-say#axzz1oup6EIot

Some absolute crackers on this site...Gonna have to remember a few of those.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yea that one always cracks me up. Yep, cavemen only lived to 30 and it was their diets that killed them, not the environmental challenges they faced.

Actually there is evidence that some Paleolithic people lived to be very old age. I had a study from a Paleontologist who also eats Paleo that says they come up with 30-40 due to high infant mortality and women dying during child birth.........

Then injuries and sickness rings in there too.

I am trying to find the article to shut some of these people up.

The ignorance on the forums is getting to an all time high.
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options

Actually there is evidence that some Paleolithic people lived to be very old age. I had a study from a Paleontologist who also eats Paleo that says they come up with 30-40 due to high infant mortality and women dying during child birth.........

Then injuries and sickness rings in there too.

I am trying to find the article to shut some of these people up.

The ignorance on the forums is getting to an all time high.

Yea I know! I read that study and have been trying to find the link to it since this morning when I first posted this. It's saved on my home computer I think so once I'm done work, I'll see if I can't link it.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What I love are the people who haven't taken the time to really read about it and AUTOMATICALLY assume we are eating artery clogging fats and no carbs...oh and the only reason we eat this way is to loose weight....

I had to post on one of the threads yesterday when someone kept harping on low carb/low carb and had to set them straight and tell them it is not a "low carb" thing...just that by eating a Paleo lifestyle most of the time it will naturally fall out to be lower carb - but heck I could easily eat 200 carbs and still be eating under a Paleo realm...and as far as red meat and all that...just because you eat Paleo doesn't mean you are cutting into a steak at every meal...

I especially like the people who try and give justifications of "well if you HAVE to eat that way because of a diease it's one thing - those who choose to eat that way are bat s**t crazy"

These are the same people who weigh 105 trying to loose 10 lbs and say "well I eat processed foods, grains and sugars all the time - all you have to do is eat less" - do you know how F'ed up that makes people feel...yes let's take advice from someone who shouldn't be trying to loose weight in the first place...You know if it works for you GREAT - but it doesn't work for everyone...

I have a friend who decided to try the lifestyle - I told him he has to give it at least 3-4 weeks...if it doesn't work for him that is fine - but he couldn't do it for a week and then say oh I don't like it...everything takes a little hard work...he figured if nothing else he could spend the next few weeks not worrying about oh how many fat grams but instead eating bacon or lots of meat and decided to go with it...I did warn him the first week would be the toughest and getting use to thinking ahead and preparing food is a challenge for some...first week in he lost 8 lbs, wife lost 5 lbs and they are really getting into the swing of things...
  • cracked_belle
    cracked_belle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    my favourite tends to be:

"but the FDA said [insert something absurd]."
    (similarly, "but Dr. Oz said...")
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    Haha yea I've heard a few of the "Dr. Oz says.." comments. Another favorite is "But the Food Pyramid...."
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Haha yea I've heard a few of the "Dr. Oz says.." comments. Another favorite is "But the Food Pyramid...."

Point'em at this next time.... ;)

paleo-food-paleolithic-nutrition-foodpyramid-1.jpg

http://www.complete-strength-training.com/images/paleo-food-paleolithic-nutrition-foodpyramid-1.jpg
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was visiting my parents this weekend. We talked a bit about what I'm eating (and not eating) and why. They are pretty supportive of whatever I do which is nice. My mom is a really smart lady but the conversations went like this:

mom: why do you think might be glucose intolerant?
    me: because of dad's severe heartburn. Some studies suggest that heartburn like that can be caused by a glucose allergy which irritates the stomach
    mom: but your father doesn't have heartburn
    me: he was just in the hospital again for an ulcerated esophagus
    mom: but sweetie they changed how much Prilosec hes taking and he's fine now.

... later...

me: you know mom its may be possible to reduce your cholesterol by eliminating wheat and other grains from your diet
    mom: honey I don't have high cholesterol. The Statins I take work fine.

yeah. I don't get it either. but I love them just the same.
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    my favourite tends to be:

"but the FDA said [insert something absurd]."
    (similarly, "but Dr. Oz said...")

I couldn't agree more. The more I see how chemically formulated processed foods are to spike pleasure neurotransmitters just to have the glucose drop from our blood mere minutes after consumption, the more I hate all food industrialization. How obvious is it that we can't trust corporations with our bodies?
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I was visiting my parents this weekend. We talked a bit about what I'm eating (and not eating) and why. They are pretty supportive of whatever I do which is nice. My mom is a really smart lady but the conversations went like this:

me: because of dad's severe heartburn. Some studies suggest that heartburn like that can be caused by a glucose allergy which irritates the stomach

... later...

me: you know mom its may be possible to reduce your cholesterol by eliminating wheat and other grains from your diet

I have a coworker who is on every medication under the sun...she is the type of person who will go to The Cheesecake factory - order a Ceaser Salad with chicken and extra dressing then say "Oh well I only had a salad so I am going to have a piece of cheesecake" among many other things...

We were discussing eating habits (as everyone but me was munching on ice cream cake - I had red pepper strips) and she said "Oh I just eat what i want and let medications work everything out"

{bang head on wall}
  • SarahSwimmer
    Options
    Ok, possibly dumb question: is "SAD" some sort of acronym for something?
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    SAD = Standard American Diet
  • SarahSwimmer
    Options
    SAD = Standard American Diet

Thanks. this makes so much more sense now
  • GalaxyDuck
    Options
    monkeydharma I think that's the best food pyramid graphic I've seen, and I've seen a bunch. Thanks for the link!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

... later...

I have a coworker who is on every medication under the sun...she is the type of person who will go to The Cheesecake factory - order a Ceaser Salad with chicken and extra dressing then say "Oh well I only had a salad so I am going to have a piece of cheesecake" among many other things...

We were discussing eating habits (as everyone but me was munching on ice cream cake - I had red pepper strips) and she said "Oh I just eat what i want and let medications work everything out"

{bang head on wall}

I hate that mentality for personal reasons. My grandmother was taught that mentality from her Dr and Dietician when she found out she had Diabetes. She was told to just adjust her insulin shots according to what she ate.

When she passed away, she had both legs amputated to the hip and one arm aputated to the elbow. She was also blind due to glaucoma.

I refuse to live like that and started learning how to live free of ailments, disease and medications.