Hi There Everyone!

Options
Hey there everyone! My name is Jessica, I am the creator of this page. Like said int he description, I wanted a more personal group, mainly started by myself and a few friends, who just started the program to have a place where we can all come to share our success, thoughts and...well...whatever!

I am training for a Survivor Mud Run in July. This is what I need to get in shape and ready for it, mainly to keep my focus on running, which I severely hate..but there are little goals throughout each days run, which helps tremendously!!!!!

What is your reasoning for doing the C25K?

Welcome and fell free to add me!!

Replies

• CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica. I just completed W2D3 yesterday, but will repeat the week to feel more ready for the longer runs in week 3. Good luck!!
  • TheCountryMomma
    TheCountryMomma Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!! I just started mine, so tomorrow I will be running W1D2...I love the program do far!! Good luck to you too!!!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica. I want to do a 5k cuz that goal seems what fit people do :) I was able to run the distance last spring and was ready to sign up until I went in to the hospital for a minor surgery last June, as I was waking up, the docs caught an 8 sec pause in my heart rate. Long story short, I am 33 and discovered I needed a pacemaker. I don't have any limitations so once I was healed, I went back to running but I hurt my foot, I have plantar faciatis because of flat feet so my motivation over did it. So I had to lay of running, then the laziness/ depression of the pacemaker set in. I really could of died of a heart attack at a young age. Needless to say, that was scary.

So fast forward to recently, I saw the scale at 159 and refused to let it go higher at 5'3. So I started Insanity workouts, I am addicted, then I saw ur post for this and figured I could alternate days so here I am. I completed day 2 today. It seems easy so far but I am also om the 2nd month of Insanity and was used to running last yr. I am trying to take it slower so I don't kill my feet. I am so excited to run like I did last yr. it is such a stress relief for me!!!!
  • kmmeidl
    kmmeidl Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I'm on my second round of C25K, did W1D2 yesterday. I did this program about two years ago, and loved it. I had a baby in January 2011 and have been running some, but not consistently andcouldnt get my groove back. So, I've decided to start fresh and run my first 5k race for my 32nd birthday in June. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to the encouragement!

On a side note, what kind of weight loss have you experienced from running? My goal is to do the program M/W/F with supplemental weight training the other days.
  • TheCountryMomma
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!! I too am running mon, wed, fri with tue, thur strength training. I just started on the program so I cant speak from experience, yet! :).
  • serenemission
    Options
    I am on week 5 day 1, I repeated week 4 for a while because I felt like I needed to take time to catch up. I tried a body pump class last night and was thrilled to find strength training I enjoyed! so my plan is to do body pump 2 to 3 * a week and run 3 to 4 * a week, with a day of rest. I am way over weight, can't believe I got this heavy without really noticing. I saw myself in the gym mirror last night-- oy Vey! I have lots of work to do. loving mfp for counting calories. glad 2 find this group.
  • ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    I am currently on W5 Day2 and I am loving it. I want to run a 5k because it is a goal that I have always talked about doing and never quite got there. I feel like if I achieve it I am actually becoming a fit person. I want to show my girls what a fit life style is about.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I am on Wk1 Day 2. Day 3 will be tomorrow. I am running Mon-Wed-Fri. As of right now I am "running" after my strength training (New Rules for Women) and I am on Week 3 of that program.
    I am signed up to do the Warrior Dash in September and I really want to get through it!
    I have always struggled with my weight but this is the longest I've let it linger! I turned 35 this year and I know that I have to make some serious decisons about my life! I quit smoking 5 weeks ago and here I am!

Thanks for forming this group!
  • TheCountryMomma
    Options
    Welcome ladies!!! I love hearing everyone's story. As I had said, I am training for a mud run similar to the tough mudder runs. I had our little girl almost 2 years ago and thanks to stressful life events am JUST now working on getting the added weight off. I look forward to getting to know each one of you!!!! When I get back on the computer (as I am on my phone) i will add you all, if you dont get to me first!!!! THANK YOU ALL FOR JOINING!!! Check back regularly as I will post topics and questions to keep us all in check!!!!!
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    hey everyone!

ok. I'm still on the couch part of C25K and I don't have a definite date as to when I'm starting - am still on the lookout to purchase a decent pair of running shoes (don't wanna run in my hiking shoes) and waiting for a sale to come by so I don't tear a hole in my budget. Am a lazy shopper though, so that might take longer than it should. Hopefully joining this group & looking at everyone else's progress will spur me on to go out more often, grab that pair of shoes & finally start my C25K journey for real :smile:
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    hello~!

Just like shady81x above me, I'm still on the couch portion of the C25K too! LOL I do yoga and cardio classes but have never been a runner...but would love to learn. Heard about C25K and thought it was an interesting program. Getting a bit ahead of myself here but thought I'd join your group so that I can plan my start date! Tough Mudder/Warrior Dash races look crazy but super fun:happy:
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    On Week 8 - Day 2 tomorrow. Found it hard until last week when I could actually do 30mins non stop - Yay
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Just like shady81x above me, I'm still on the couch portion of the C25K too!

Perhaps we should start together! :bigsmile:

btw, am wondering. Is anyone using the Get Running (Couch to 5k) iphone app? --> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/get-running-couch-to-5k/id319043985?mt=8

Looks like something that might come in handy while attempting the C25K. For those who are using it, what do u think? Is it worth the US$2.99 investment (yes, I'm being stingy but hey I'm on an extremely tight budget & that could buy me a day's lunch)?
  • aspyn1622
    aspyn1622 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Corrie. I have always been the heavy girl growing up into adulthood, though I was into almost EVERY sport my school offered! While overweight I still ended up going to college on a soccer scholarship, fat but fit I called it! I used to run something called the Boilermaker when I lived in NY and LOVED the feeling of crossing the finish line and people you don't even know cheering for you! Between having a baby and quitting smoking (SO proud of this one!), I have packed on...wait for it....almost 100 pounds! eeeek...that was hard to say! I have been using the Spike diet, NRoLFW, and JM videos and have taken off almost 40 of that so far. I'm looking for some cardio to toss in the mix and got hubby to get me an incline trainer/treadmill. My question is, does anyone here do c25k on a treadmill and if so do you set the incline? (my won't go any lower than 10%, which can get hard on my shins after a while)...also, I read you should run at a slow pace, but walk at a brisk pace? So I should UP the speed of my walk? What pace does everyone run at? Lots of questions! LOL
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm Sabrina and I am on Week 2 Day 1. I have signed up for my first 5K on May 19th benefiting the local humane society. Feel free to add me. I'm logged on everyday.
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    hello, my name is Jwan. I started C25K yesterday. I seen alot of people post about it and saw my sister had gotten it. Not sure what it was until she told me. Downloaded it on my phone went out yesterday and loved it, I'm not training for anything just to incorporate some running into my routine, Day 2 of tomorrow. Just completed insanity now Im doing 30ds.
  • TheCountryMomma
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Corrie. I have always been the heavy girl growing up into adulthood, though I was into almost EVERY sport my school offered! While overweight I still ended up going to college on a soccer scholarship, fat but fit I called it! I used to run something called the Boilermaker when I lived in NY and LOVED the feeling of crossing the finish line and people you don't even know cheering for you! Between having a baby and quitting smoking (SO proud of this one!), I have packed on...wait for it....almost 100 pounds! eeeek...that was hard to say! I have been using the Spike diet, NRoLFW, and JM videos and have taken off almost 40 of that so far. I'm looking for some cardio to toss in the mix and got hubby to get me an incline trainer/treadmill. My question is, does anyone here do c25k on a treadmill and if so do you set the incline? (my won't go any lower than 10%, which can get hard on my shins after a while)...also, I read you should run at a slow pace, but walk at a brisk pace? So I should UP the speed of my walk? What pace does everyone run at? Lots of questions! LOL

I just started on monday, so i will be doing W1D2 this afternoon. I hate running, meaning just straight running, so I really needed something to keep my interest into it, that's why I chose this program, also to train for the mud run as well. I too am recovering from having a baby, I packed on 50 lbs during pregnancy, and after some life road bumps I am NOW able to dedicate time to getting it off. right now I walk at about 3.0-3.5 and run at 5.0-5.3. As for the incline, of the treadmill, I don't see that being a problem, honestly, it just might effect your speed, but i imagine it probably does BETTER to increase your endurance. I'm no fitness expert, but thats just my opinion!! Welcome to the group!!!
  • TheCountryMomma
    Options
    Just like shady81x above me, I'm still on the couch portion of the C25K too!

Perhaps we should start together! :bigsmile:

btw, am wondering. Is anyone using the Get Running (Couch to 5k) iphone app? --> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/get-running-couch-to-5k/id319043985?mt=8

Looks like something that might come in handy while attempting the C25K. For those who are using it, what do u think? Is it worth the US$2.99 investment (yes, I'm being stingy but hey I'm on an extremely tight budget & that could buy me a day's lunch)?

Unfortunately, I have an Android phone, I downloaded the $1.99 app to run the C25K program and I love it, not sure if it's much help for the iPhone, I understand the tight budget, my husband and I live off of 150 extra a month for food and gas after bills, so I am totally there with you. Look at the reviews, go with your gut! =)
  • mommiex42011
    Options
    I just want to run! lol. I also want to lose some weight and to get my oldest daughter more active! :) Thanks for having me!
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I started C25K about a month ago. Did week 1 then got the upper respiratory crap that's going around. So, no gym for about 2 1/2 weeks. Tried, but almost passed out since I couldn't breath!

So, started week one over again. I'm kinda modifying it a bit. This week I've run mon & tues - off today - will run thur & fri. Trying to figure out a routine that includes C25K, spin class and weights - without spending too much time at the gym. I have a 15 year old daughter, so feel guilty about that sometimes.

Why do this? One of my goals this year is to do the Turkey Trot - 5K at Thankgiving. Lose weight. I used to run, it seemed to help in that department. Long term goal - Thor (local 5K obstacle course), then maybe Tough Mudder or Spartan. Also, the Hotter Than Hell - 100 bike ride (held here every year). So, I figured a 5K would be a could start!