How to enter lifting for calories burned??

Options
Quel1970
Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
I completed the first workout of weight lifting this morning- yeah! (I currently have jello legs and arms- lol)

I started to put it in here under strength training but wow- I get NO 'credit' for the calories burned??

How should I handle this? Thanks!

Replies

• sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM and enter calories it shows, but that can be unreliable and show more calories. As a rule I increase 200 calories on strength training days to compensate.

You can also enter strength under cardio, there is an option for strength training.
  • Quel1970
    Options
    Thanks. Maybe I am wrong to do this but I looked up weight lifting and for 45 min, it only gives 120 calories. Then I looked up circuit training and for 45 min it gives 320 calories.

Let me tell you, my arms & legs were shaking and I felt like I was gonna pass out! Nothing like when I would do cardio. So I went with the circuit training. (I do not eat back my exercise calories).

Thanks for the info!
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I created "Weight lifting - vigorous" (I referenced other fitness site) when I saw how low the calorie burn was :noway: . I'd recommend using that or the circuit one.

I'm not the type to sit and chat in the weight area - I have sweat dripping down my face and my heart rate is up so I know I'm burning more than that!! I think that lower burn one if for the people who go slow and give themselves lots of breaks (nothing wrong with that - just not my style).
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I sweat when I lift, and my heart rate is crazy high, as well. I actually am one of those people that go slow and take breaks, depending on how heavy I'm lifting. And I lift HEAVY, which is why my heart rate gets so high that I gotta walk it off and bring it back down to do the next set. So net effect, my lifting is like HIIT. Of course, the lighter I lift, the less breaks I have to take, which then means my heart is beating like crazy the entire time...

I think MFP cal burns for weight training stink, lol.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I sweat when I lift, and my heart rate is crazy high, as well. I actually am one of those people that go slow and take breaks, depending on how heavy I'm lifting. And I lift HEAVY, which is why my heart rate gets so high that I gotta walk it off and bring it back down to do the next set. So net effect, my lifting is like HIIT. Of course, the lighter I lift, the less breaks I have to take, which then means my heart is beating like crazy the entire time...

I think MFP cal burns for weight training stink, lol.

Hmmm, I notice the same...with the heart rate and sweating and all that...I work my HRM few times and got these really high burns...my heart rate was up there, but I heard that HRM's do not calculate it properly so I have been going with the MFP cardio numbers.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh my, not not sure if what to input...Kiki what figure do you use?
  • chattinchick
    chattinchick Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was told the opposite, that HRM's are MORE accurate. *SIGH* This is so confusing sometimes, hey?! I sweat and my heart rate is up there when I lift. I don't just wear the watch on my wrist, I have the chest band as well and I use that reading for my recordings as I was told they are more accurate because it's right on my chest reading my heart rate. Dunno.....

I enter them under Cardio - strength training.... :)
  • Quel1970
    Options
    I guess it doesn't matter that much since I'm not hitting my calories anyway?? I do not have a heart monitor but I do check my pulse and I wouldn't say it is up there (normal for me is 77- after lifting, 120).

I'm sure as I progress I will want to be more accurate though. Thanks for all your suggestions!
  • TimeToWork
    Options
    I know the jury is still out on the BEST (if it exists) way to calculate calories burned while lifting. I found this article on Livestrong.com

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

Keep posting should you all find other tools! :)