Overseas Medical Screening

Options
WanderingMe
WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
So my husband and I have been notified that after his year tour, we will be getting one of our overseas bases of preference. They havent told us if it is Spangdahlem, Aviano, or Misawa yet, (anxiously waiting!) but I was wondering how soon the medical screening is done. Is it like 3 months before you go overseas? 6 months? A couple weeks?

I ask because I am on a low dose anxiety medicine (which has greatly improved my quality of life) and I am wondering if I should try to go without it until then to see if it will help my chances of being approved to go overseas :)

Thanks all!!!

Replies

• kristypie
    kristypie Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We are set to move in mid-June and I just got my paperwork to have my screening done. So, I will be setting up an appt. soon. I'm not sure how far out you can do it, or what the time frame usually is. We just got our orders about 6 weeks ago.
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!

Anyone have any info on going overseas with anxiety?
  • secoke
    secoke Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When my husband was told we were going to Germany he was stationed in Alabama and I was living in San Diego, that certainly made the medical screening fun. Since he's Army I'm sure some of the issues are different but the biggest thing that we had to keep in mind was that it took over a month for the paperwork to clear his base, and a day for it to be approved in Germany!

I am also on a low dose of anti-anxiety medication and treatment for my migraines, there was absolutely no issue in sending me to Germany. The only time I could imagine it would be a problem is if you required regular "talk" therapy, but even then, the Air Force bases here are much larger and have far more resources than the Army bases.

That being said please don't go off your current medication unless you have talked to your Dr. about it. If it helps you and it is a fairly common medication there is no reason why the bases over here would not carry it. Best of luck!
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I got married May 7, 2011. I got my medical appointment around May 28, and he got his orders about mid june. WAY faster than I thought. He is Air Force and was stationed at Lackland AFB