What is the most rewarding thing about being a nurse?

Options
My personalize license plate says it all "nurse change lives"

Replies

• NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Some days....retiring!:bigsmile:
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    HA HA HA... both good ones.

For me, it is when you get that patient who is genuinely appreciative, because you did something to make him/her feel better, have a better outlook on their condition, or even just smile. (Shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone at my job, but I'm a BIT of a softee :blushing: )
  • newfienurse66
    Options
    When a challenging patient comes back to the clinic and asks specifically for me, I know then I have made a difference in their lives and they in mine!
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Although it can be emotionally hard working with Hospice patients I find being able to be there at a very difficult time in a patient's life one of the most rewarding experiences ever. I do crisis care which usually occurs when my patients are actively dying, I get to be there to support the families emotionally as well as hold a person's hand when they take their last breath.
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Although it can be emotionally hard working with Hospice patients I find being able to be there at a very difficult time in a patient's life one of the most rewarding experiences ever. I do crisis care which usually occurs when my patients are actively dying, I get to be there to support the families emotionally as well as hold a person's hand when they take their last breath.

Wow, that's intense. Kuddos to you! :flowerforyou:
  • princess269
    Options
    I work in an LTAC. Definitely helping my aware pts to have a smile and positive outlook!
  • Dare2Believe
    Options
    Thanks LJV1031, I really do love it. Although some days I tell myself I just can't watch another family grieving but I think I would really miss it if I tried to do anything else.
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options

this!!!!
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Lately I feel the most rewarding thing is going home when it is over. Nursing has become all about paperwork and very little about actual patient care. It is the pits. I love my patients, just hate the tons of paperwork they keep adding on, especially all the duplication of things!
  • Dare2Believe
    Options
    Lately I feel the most rewarding thing is going home when it is over. Nursing has become all about paperwork and very little about actual patient care. It is the pits. I love my patients, just hate the tons of paperwork they keep adding on, especially all the duplication of things!

This is so true. and sad as well. I spend more time doing paperwork than actual patient care!
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

this!!!!

Ditto! :smokin:
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    1. Making patients feel safe by my level of competency.
    2. Being right when the doctor is wrong.
    3. The paycheck.
  • debbieHOC
    debbieHOC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am a hospice nurse for the largest non-profit in Tennessee. I work on the crisis care team so if I show up at your house things are not good. I really enjoy helping the pt and the family get their symptoms under control and educating them on the dying process. I walk families through this on a daily basis. We are all gonna die. ... It can be a good death or a bad one. I see that 99% of the time it all comes together and a patient can die comfortably and they and their family can find closure. It's an honor to walk them through this journey.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

This is so true. and sad as well. I spend more time doing paperwork than actual patient care!

Yes, me too and I feel like I am cheating my patients. They need and deserve more. Unfortunately many hospitals are no longer in the business of actually getting the patient better they are in the business of getting high scores for butt kissing. This distresses me so much. We have so much mandatory paperwork that is not part of the permanent chart which to me feels a bit deceptive. Our staffing has been cut to the bones. It is starting to feel unsafe more times than not.