Testing 1RM

Options
taso42
taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
For those of you who test your 1RM, where and how do you fit this in, in relation to your regular work sets? If doing it before the work sets, it seems like performance would suffer on the work sets (and probably cause failure). Doing it after seems like a bad time as well, because the energy is drained. So that sort of leaves warming up and going straight for the 1RM, then skipping or doing a deloaded work set. But that seems like a stupid reason to basically compromise a workout.

I'm overthinking this perhaps. And I know theoretical 1RM can be calculated based on "X" rep max. But I just want to test empirically.

Replies

• addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When going for a 1RM, you should first warm up to said 1RM. Lets do squats:

(I warm up with some foam rolling, and penguin walks first)
    135x10
    135x10
    225x5
    315x1 (old max)
    335x1 (new attempt)
    355x1 (next new attempt if 335 was not enough weight)

Upon finishing your new 1RM, figure out where you are weak, what is keeping your from putting up more weight, weak hamstrings? Balance issues? weak core? hip flexibility? or bad form? It helps if you film yourself. Once you've figured out where you are most weak spend the rest of that day and the next 4 - 6 weeks beating that weakness into a pulp while still keeping your strengths strong. If you have super strong quads, and weak hams and after 6 weeks you haven't spend any extra time on those weak hams your new PR will be minimal.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    when doing 1rm testing. thats usually my session for that exercise.

Similar to the above layout.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How often do you guys do a 1RM test? I've never done it. I guess I'm about due.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    addisondisease2: well said.

My program cycles up to a new 1rm test every 11 weeks so that is how often I do it.

After doing first PL comp though, I realised I need to go for 1rm on squat, bench & DL all at once to get my body accustomed to it.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    How often do you guys do a 1RM test? I've never done it. I guess I'm about due.

Its up to you and your programming. If you are bulking i'd test it more often than a cut. I generally test a lift about every 6 - 8 weeks. Having a competition, a "big game", or a goal set with an actual date helps a lot in making strength gains. You aren't just "lifting to get big or strong or ripped" you are now Trying to get as strong as possible before April when you have a strongman competition, or you have the home game play offs, what ever.
  • lukebyro
    lukebyro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a power lifter so I max out every four weeks or so. You want to make sure you warm up first though, do three sets of 5, 5, and 3reps, for warm up at say 50%, 60%, and 70% of where you want to max. A max out session should be considered your work out for the muscle group worked. I have used this weighing in at 185 and my 1rm's are as follows, bench press is 340, squat is 420, dead lift is 550
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    every 8 weeks ,but do it as a session .give yourself 2-3 mins rest between lifts
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    2-3 minutes for Max effort? Not for me. often out to 5 or 6 if i think i can go one more attempt.
    1rm is just that, One Rep MAX. If you need more rest to get it done, then rest. There is no rush. 2-3 minutes of rest can often cause a failure that didnt need to happen for me.

and yeah. forget your normal workout on this day as i sorta said before. Its not about that.

i'm on the same progressive program as chrisdavey. sorta works out to 2 weeks of consecutive 1rm'ing if working in 10kg advances or more(for my bench this cycle its 3 weeks of maxing, lol) or just week 11 if only aiming for 5kg.

oh and good numbers Lukebyro.
  • lukebyro
    lukebyro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with mideon, 2 to 3 minutes is good between working sets but you need to give yourself more time between max effort lifts to establish an accurate 1 rm.