Dealing with 80lb gain :( post partum

Options
Hi all. I'm having a really tough time today. I gained a whopping 80lbs during my pregnancy taking my weight up to 198!!! My son is 11 weeks old and I really just thought I'd be further along by now. I've never struggled with my weight until getting pregnant and I currently have two things I'm able to wear. TWO. Too depressed to go shopping. I've been walking as much as possible and have worked up to 20mins on the elliptical which I never would have thought possible a couple of weeks ago but still, I have not seen any weight loss in weeks. I seem to be stuck around 169. So discouraging....

Replies

• Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i know that feeling i actually lost alot of my cloths in a sudden move so when i was preggers i only had 2 pants that fit. you can do it keep going if you really feel you hit a plataue do differant excercises run with your knees high (or walk) join a class kile kick boxing or zumba i here alot of people like that
  • Mumbum78
    Mumbum78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I,unfortunately am in the same boat. I am 1 year post partum right now.I too thought I would be better than my normal self right now. I was 198lb exactly before delivering too:( HANG IN THERE!
  • genericaroar
    genericaroar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Good to know I'm not alone.
  • Mumbum78
    Options
    Everyone keeps telling me it gets better. Depends on who you talk to,but I am finding that 80 percent of the woman I talked to hung on to at least 10 pounds until they were done nursing.
  • genericaroar
    Options
    That's what I've heard too. I'm totally fine with that...it's the remaining 40lbs that I want...NEED gone.
  • Mumbum78
    Options
    Is everything ok with you healthwise? I would reccomnd strength training if it is. Work large muscle groups (quads,glutes,back,etc). This will help increase your metabolism over time by building lean muscle(you wont bulk up). I am just beginning to strength train,but would have done it months ago if I was allowed to do weight bearing exercises. Cardio alone wont help you lose all 40lb very easily.
  • leslieannyoung
    leslieannyoung Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I gained a similar amount while pregnant, and bloomed up to 203 lbs. I'm now done to 165 but what really kick started my weightloss was Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and watching what I eat. No more than 1500 cal a day. Its only 20 minutes long and you'll want to die, but in 15 days I've lost 2.5 inches off my waist and 1 in off my hips. Plus, its only about 7$ at costco and amazon. Totally worth a try!
  • agranados87
    agranados87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Almost the same boat here. I gained 50lbs which put me at 190 right before I delivered. My baby is 4 1/2 months old, and I have been trying really hard to eat healthy and go to the gym. Using MFP religiously has helped my eating, and I find it easier to go to the gym directly before work or after (if I go home, all bets are off lol). Right now I am at 150, with 10 to go to my preg weight. Although I'm loosing the weight, I still see this ugly pooch and extra skin :( I'm working on getting it off, but it is a little discouraging. Oh, and I'm not bfing.
  • genericaroar
    Options
    Thanks for the response, guys. Good to know I'm not alone.
  • genericaroar
    Options
    I gained a similar amount while pregnant, and bloomed up to 203 lbs. I'm now done to 165 but what really kick started my weightloss was Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and watching what I eat. No more than 1500 cal a day. Its only 20 minutes long and you'll want to die, but in 15 days I've lost 2.5 inches off my waist and 1 in off my hips. Plus, its only about 7$ at costco and amazon. Totally worth a try!

I got the first level and tried to do it a few weeks ago and almost knocked myself out with the bewbies haha. I need to invest in a new sports bra (or two) and plan to try that again. I'm a little more fit now too which I'm sure will help.
  • Trueper
    Trueper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too I am still 50lbs overweight a year after my little girl was born and now I am putting my wide *kitten* in gear to lose this weight. Chin up we can lose this weight...some of us already have! :)
    Sx
  • Embera
    Options
    i do confess that i only gained 10 lbs during mt pregnancy but to start with i was 220 and after i got out of the hospital i was arested and jail food sucks so i lost more but i ended up gaining it back up to 220 because after i got out i was just trying to enjoy the good we wernt alloud to have and pluss the holidays no partys or anything but its not the holidays unless i make cookies and unfortunately im prety much the only one who ate them im going to have to look for the jillian video thats a great buy compared to all the ones that are like 60 bucks
  • Embera
    Options
    i looked it up and family video haslots of fittnes videos for 799 so its worth a look
  • leslieannyoung
    leslieannyoung Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Shred is also on youtube...free is good!
  • mrslaurenposs
    mrslaurenposs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Right there with you guys! I gained 50lbs during pregnancy, putting me right at 195lbs thinking I would burn it off breastfeeding. Unfortunately, we had complications with breastfeeding and were not able to. Needless to say the pounds STUCK. I've lost about 30-35lbs with delivery + water weight in the 4.5mo since she was born, but I've got another 25 I want to lose. My husband and I were only married for 5mo before getting pregnant, so I desperately want to get back to the skinny hot wife he didn't get to enjoy long enough! :(

I was overweight all through HS and college, and suddenly lost about 50lbs over about a year, but that was through changing my horrible eating habits and picking up exercise. This time, I've already been eating healthier, so I don't have much room to change, and it's not as easy to just drop everything and spend hours in the gym with an infant that needs constant attention!

I just joined the Jillian 30 day shred group on here - the group starts the program together on 3/30, so if anyone is interested, come join us! Looking forward to the support from you ladies! :)
  • diaz2012
    diaz2012 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Same here im trying to lose 20lbs, my baby is 2 months and just dont like this extra weight nothing fits =( and the worse thing is that the scale isnt moving iv started the 30DS and im on the 7th day and lost inches feeling good about that ill keep on going and wont try to weigh my self, im also BFing and get confused with my calories SIGH....so im in the same boat but lets keep on going we will lose (^0^) add me so we can motivate each other LOL...good luck
  • mamasdontgiveup
    Options
    I am almost 8 weeks post partum and I gained 94 lbs while preggers=( I was at 194, I am down to 164 but cannot seem to get any weight to come off just by watching what I eat. Now that I have finally been cleared to start exercising I have been doing crunches and oblequies (I SO didn't spell that right :embarassed: ). But I need to get serious and start back on a routine.
    I am glad I am not the only one that gaines a ton of weight while pregnant and can't seem to get it off.
  • genericaroar
    Options
    Right there with you guys! I gained 50lbs during pregnancy, putting me right at 195lbs thinking I would burn it off breastfeeding. Unfortunately, we had complications with breastfeeding and were not able to. Needless to say the pounds STUCK. I've lost about 30-35lbs with delivery + water weight in the 4.5mo since she was born, but I've got another 25 I want to lose. My husband and I were only married for 5mo before getting pregnant, so I desperately want to get back to the skinny hot wife he didn't get to enjoy long enough! :(

I was overweight all through HS and college, and suddenly lost about 50lbs over about a year, but that was through changing my horrible eating habits and picking up exercise. This time, I've already been eating healthier, so I don't have much room to change, and it's not as easy to just drop everything and spend hours in the gym with an infant that needs constant attention!

I just joined the Jillian 30 day shred group on here - the group starts the program together on 3/30, so if anyone is interested, come join us! Looking forward to the support from you ladies! :)

I can TOTALLY relate...my husband and I were married 3 months before I got pregnant and I weighed about the same as you in the end
  • yychen01
    yychen01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You're not alone!
    I gained 55 pounds with my baby, she is now 6.5 months and I'm still nursing her. Breastfeeding did not help me lose weight at all. I lost 6 pounds total in the first 6 months (one pound each month). Now, I'm starting to exercise and count my calories since I'm more confident that my milk supply is established. The weight is finally starting to come off (more than a pound a month). haha. Slow and steady is the way to go! I didn't want to risk releasing toxins (from stored fat) into the breastmilk.

We can do it!