Workout 2 - thoughts

Options
gerbies
gerbies Posts: 444 Member
Still in my preview week...I just finished workout 2. It's funny, while I was doing it, I didn't think it was too terribly tough, but when I was done, I was dripping in sweat (and it wasn't hot in my house...60 degrees, probably) and my heart rate monitor said I burned 358 calories. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't "easy", but just so doable. The only exercise I wish I did better was the lunges with a twist...I do not have a full range of motion (can't get to one inch off the ground with my knee) and it was a test of my balance.

Overall, I'm just so pleased with all of the workouts I've tried (W1, C1 & now W2). I am doing Cardio 1 again tomorrow to wrap up my "preview" week. I'm going to wear my heart rate monitor to see how many calories that burns. My only concern is that normally when I do high-intensity cardio (i.e., lots of jumping), the chest band to my heart rate monitor (I have a Polar F6) seems to lose my heart rate...therefore, I find my calorie burn can be off.

What have others burned with these workouts? I am over 200 lbs, so I know my calorie burn will be higher than others who are lighter.

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I've done the same workouts as you and also really enjoyed workout 2. I found myself actually looking forward to each move for some strange reason.

I have a Polar F6 too and notice that when I do a lot of jumping (esp those running man moves), that sometimes my heart rate seems too low so I wonder if my chest band is slipping a little, too.

On the strength training workouts (1 and 2), I've burned about 200 calories. On the cardio 1, it's ranged from 200-260. I'm 188 pounds currently. I notice others burn way more than I do but I feel like I'm working super hard. I mean, sweat's dripping from my face and I'm panting for breath...LOL!
  • gerbies
    Options
    I don't want to get too crazy with understanding the calories burned, but I do think it's interesting to know. I think if we're working hard, and we're sweating...we're doing well. It sounds like you've gotten in some great workouts, too!
  • kikix5
    kikix5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have the f6 too, I think that when you start to loose the heart rate is when your battery in either the watch or the band is failing, mine does that all the time and then it finally stopped working, and a band is not that much more then the whole hrm :( I started to use my husbands strap and that too when I'm first starting out, will not register, if you use your own saliva (gross I know) to wet it, it starts to work again. its something with the salt or so I read lol

Not sure if that is what is wrong with yours or if it really is slipping down, you could always pin it so its tighter
  • gerbies
    Options
    Thanks! I actually just replaced the battery (what a process! I had to send it out and then wait for it to be shipped back...I don't think the newer models require this). I actually do the saliva thing when I get started (it is gross!). I think mine moves when I jump. Not sure if this is because I have more to lose and too much jiggle (LOL) or if the band is too loose. I'll try and tighten to see if that helps.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Thanks! I actually just replaced the battery (what a process! I had to send it out and then wait for it to be shipped back...I don't think the newer models require this). I actually do the saliva thing when I get started (it is gross!). I think mine moves when I jump. Not sure if this is because I have more to lose and too much jiggle (LOL) or if the band is too loose. I'll try and tighten to see if that helps.

I just replaced the battery in mine too. I was going to ship it to a Polar store but then my husband said there's a watch repair store here in town and they were able to replace it no problem. Took 5 minutes and cost only $13.00. You might try that next time your battery dies. I had no idea a local watch repair store could do it.

Never thought about using saliva.

You all will laugh at me...I'm so lame. I had hooked the strap on incorrectly and that's why it kept slipping. My husband showed me how to snap the little clip in place and now I have no problem. Sometimes I wonder how many brain cells I lost during each pregnancy....
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Oh and my F6 is about 2 years old
  • kikix5
    kikix5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The battery in the watch is replaceable but the one in the band has to be sent back in, if you have the f6, this is why I've held off for so long, didn't want to be without my HRM for 10 days. :(
  • gerbies
    Options
    So, I did Cardio 1 and used my HRM. So frustrating...there were three points, where my HRM wasn't reading my heartrate correctly (dropped from high 150s/low 160s to 128 when I didn't stop moving) and then stopped for a minute or two. It was always during running man and then for some time into speedbag. Ugh. My HRM said my calorie burn was 306, which is less than it should be; I'm adding 15%, since it stopped completely for over 3 minutes and didn't have my correct heartrate for like 6 minutes. So, for me, Cardio 1 burned 350 calories.

This is the one thing about my HRM that I get frustrated with. This happens when I've done jumping jacks or anything consistently high impact. ARRRRRGGGGG!!!