improvising

Options
ItsTiffanyFTW
ItsTiffanyFTW Posts: 72 Member
I'm doing a run through of all the videos before I actually start to get familiar with the moves. I decided to push back my start date b/c I'm having lasik surgery in a week. I purchased the resistance bands and don't have a chin up bar.

What do you do for the chin ups? Did you purchase a bar (or suggest I just do that)? Or the band extension thing? Did you improvise another way?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jakeschafer
    Options
    First off good luck on the surgery! Second yeah i have both the bands and the bar, even though i cannot do the chin ups im improvising with bands from various weights. Im hoping after part 1 ill be able to complete at least one chin up or pull up. Ive done alot of improvising and as long as its working the targeted muscle group it should be fine.
  • ItsTiffanyFTW
    ItsTiffanyFTW Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you! My husband just ran to Academy anyway and bought a chinup bar... lol. Now my problem is the chair! Our dining room chairs are the higher ones lol. I'll prob just hook my bands through the bar to start!
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You will need a chair for more than just the pull ups/chin ups. I have the high-top chairs as well, so I use a step ladder instead for my workouts.
  • sarahmoyta
    sarahmoyta Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself having trouble pulling yourself up, you can get up on the bar using a chair and do a 'controlled descent' (let yourself drop down slowly).

I haven't bought the bar yet either - my hubs makes fun of me because I've been using soup cans or sand filled containers for weights. He said I'd fit right in with the infantry guys he works with; they're always using random things to lift with. I had planned to use the pull up bar at his office, but didn't realize how integrated the workouts are; everything back to back, so it looks like I'm going to have to find one after all.

It's funny you should post this - I was just googling what to sub for pull ups in the mean time!
  • EricDe90x
    EricDe90x Posts: 51
    Options
    I got a resistance band that goes on the door from Walmart. I can feel that it's not as effective as a bar, but my door can't support a bar, so I make do.
  • Rachel5K
    Rachel5K Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I bought the bar but it doesn't fit in my house so I have to use my gargage door and a chair. Also, though, if you have access to a gym that has a pull down bar on one of their machines, that is a great substitute as well. I have had to do this on one day so far. Between working two jobs and trying to sync my schedule up with my boyfriend's as much as possible (it's great to be able to do it together) I've already had to improvise a lot. I am finding, though, that I am still getting a great workout with excellent results. Day five of week two, woo hoo!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i bought the bar for around $16 at Walmart. i use a chair for the pullups and i can feel the burn for sure.... i also have the bands, but havent tried tying them through the bar. I'm thinking the chair version is probably a better workout since you're using more (body) weight.