energy level has decreased since going primal

Options
luckygirl007
luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
Been doing paleo for about 3 weeks now at least 90-95% sometimes very strict. Can anyone give me any idea as to when my energy level will pick up? My body is just not used to the decrease in carb consumption but my hope is that I will start leveling off. Any suggestions?

Replies

• bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It was an adjustment for me. It was an even bigger adjustment when I started doing Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) again, but now my classes are better than they were when I was eating a lot of carb.

It took several months, but my body has adjusted to my carb intake average around 50-70 per day.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    right about........ NOW! :)

not sure if you are tracking but what are your total carbs ending up at? that would be a good test.
    I'd increase them a bit for transition (just a bit), and also make sure you aren't cheating yourself from some good fats etc.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Been doing paleo for about 3 weeks now at least 90-95% sometimes very strict. Can anyone give me any idea as to when my energy level will pick up? My body is just not used to the decrease in carb consumption but my hope is that I will start leveling off. Any suggestions?
    It sometimes can take a few weeks until your body switches over to burning fat as a fuel instead of looking for carbs first. Just make sure you're not also trying to be low-fat as well - having enough fat as part of your diet will aid in the transition.

Hang in there! :)
  • luckygirl007
    Options
    It sometimes can take a few weeks until your body switches over to burning fat as a fuel instead of looking for carbs first. Just make sure you're not also trying to be low-fat as well - having enough fat as part of your diet will aid in the transition.

Hang in there! :)
  • luckygirl007
    Options
    obviously I don't have this quote thing down yet LOL! As far as fats go that is my favorite part about going paleo! I love coconut oil and used it prior to this change in about everything I could and still cook with it. I just think my body needs to adjust but the good news is I feel good and better in all other aspects. Also learning a lot. Thanks everybody... I'll keep ya posted!
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I follow the primal blueprint concept and there carbs for weight loss should be about 50gm to 100gms and for maintenance about 100gms to 150gms more if very active/exercise a lot.

What is your carb intake?
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    As a former Atkins person, I think the thing I liked about primal eating is that there *is* no magic number of carbs to start with. And that carbs, in and of themselves, are not bad for you, in moderation. Its the source of the carbs that matter.

Instead of a magic number, there's a range. A range that you get to experiment with to see what works best for you. Which means, there's no shame in upping them a little, from the right sources (I don't know what your amount currently is). Its about optimizing your nutrition for your health. So, if you don't feel well (especially after 3 weeks, that's a long time), I'd say perhaps something could be tweaked?
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Took me around a week...decreased energy while walking, but now i feel great...And sleeping soooo much better too.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was closer to 3 weeks to find a balance where I could exercise and not feel like I was going to die!! Your energy levels will even out and you will feel better very soon!! just hang in there!
  • luckygirl007
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been sleeping much better! Don't know what my carb intake is now but before I cut out bread, rice, and oatmeal it averaged around 180. So I am thinking it is much lower except on the days that I crave my green smoothies which contain mostly fruit and almond milk. Also think i may need to up my protein as much as I can. Bottom line is that despite the decrease energy overall I do feel better and I NEVER fill bloated or deprived! I'm hanging in there!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I just read about this on MarksDailyApple.com yesterday. He said that most people experience carb flu (which it sounds to be the case with you) and that it usually levels off and gets better after 2-3 weeks. Hopefully that means you'll be coming around the corner soon!
  • bibi6984
    bibi6984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ive started atkins below, and ive been feverish, no energy, moody and aching in my body... is this what i should expect from following primal?

im not sure how long i can last without cheating :'(
  • bibi6984
    bibi6984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    im trying to educate and prepare myself as much as possible by looking up sites and recipes
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    Ive started atkins below, and ive been feverish, no energy, moody and aching in my body... is this what i should expect from following primal?

im not sure how long i can last without cheating :'(

Well, if you are in the first couple of weeks in Atkins, it's what we all call the 'carb flu'. If you are switching from Atkins TO primal, the carb deprivation shouldn't be as extreme - plus you've already ridden most of it out.

It should be almost over. ;)
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    While we're talking about carb flu, is achy-ness in the hips a symptom? I'm a week in and this started about 4 days ago. I wouldn't attribute it exercise or "female" stuff. Ibuprofen helps.
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    While we're talking about carb flu, is achy-ness in the hips a symptom? I'm a week in and this started about 4 days ago. I wouldn't attribute it exercise or "female" stuff. Ibuprofen helps.

Dunno. When I get the REAL flu or cold, I often feel achiness all over, especially in my lower back.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Dunno. When I get the REAL flu or cold, I often feel achiness all over, especially in my lower back.

It could be. Maybe some of the inflammation has gone down and your joints need to adjust. You could even hop over to the MDA forums and do some searching using keywords. I have found so much info from the folks over there.
  • MrsAbles
    Options

It could be. Maybe some of the inflammation has gone down and your joints need to adjust. You could even hop over to the MDA forums and do some searching using keywords. I have found so much info from the folks over there.
  • MrsAbles
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was searching on MDA forums, thought I had seen something there, but I'm having trouble viewing posts I want to read and it was taking too long scrolling through. That's why I thought I'd ask here.

(How do you do the quote replies correctly?)