Are you sore after every workout?

Options
jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
Sometimes I feel like I am not working hard enough, if I don't feel sore after my workout. So you guys tell me, are you sore post-workout?

The soreness comes in waves for me. I'll have a week of not being sore, and the next one has light soreness.

I generally shoot for 3 sets of 10 reps, but if the weight feels easy in a set I'll got to 12 or 15, and then up it for the next set.

Replies

• Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I am only sore when I start a new round....after that I expect not to be. If your nutrition is good and you are properly hydrated, you should not be too sore, unless you have recently added a new lift, move and so on.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm sore, but not prohibitively sore, if that makes sense. I can always tell if I just did weights or hit a long run, but it isn't enough to keep me from doing it again the next day :)
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly not very and when I lift, I go for the heaviest my body can handle (to get stronger). I do feel tenderness in my muscles, but nothing too crazy. I will say that if I haven't been eating right (proteins/complex carbs) and drinking lots of water my body can feel terrible, like I got hit by a bus or something.

The sorest I've ever been was after a kickboxing class I took at the MMA studio (JGMMA). I wore gloves, kicked/punched bags, did rounds with the instructor all while doing pushups, situps, squats, lunges, leg lifts, etc in between cardio sets. They have true MMA fighters teaching these classes and holy sh** was my body screaming at me for days after!!

THOSE are the kind of kick *kitten* workouts I need to be doing! ...and my yoga of course. Only way to heal the soreness of yoga is to do more yoga!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    No. I actually try NOT to be sore. I still go as hard and heavy as I can so I will fail within a certain number of reps, but I try to get enough rest and eat enough protein so I don't get sore or feel stiff.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Ok so I guess I shouldn't use soreness as a gauge of exertion? Thanks for your input.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I did get sore in the beginning, but after I starting paying attention to my nutrition (protien, carbs, fats, sodium) AND after I started drinking at least one protien shake a day (after a workout) I really stopped getting sore the next day.... Unless however, I work out new muscles then it hurts the first time around.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ok so I guess I shouldn't use soreness as a gauge of exertion? Thanks for your input.

Yes that is exactly right. I've asked that same question, and from the research I've done, soreness just means you've exposed your muscles to something different....it is not a measure of how hard you've worked.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Yes that is exactly right. I've asked that same question, and from the research I've done, soreness just means you've exposed your muscles to something different....it is not a measure of how hard you've worked.

This is AWESOME! light bulb!! WOOHOO Here I just started lifting again so I expected to be sore and I am not at all I am doing my maxes at almost all times so I expected to be sore like I was when I trained in High school and I was so sad when I was the next day after my first session again... but I guess its just because I am eating properly and drinking properly that I am not sore?! This is fantastic! I will keep on! Anyone msg me that has any more info regarding this I will prob need to hear it another 5 times for it to sink in!!