Marathon Training Plans - Got One You Like?

Rsespaniak
Rsespaniak Posts: 17 Member
Getting ready for my third marathon in October (Cape Cod) so I'm pondering training plans again. My base mileage is currently in the 30-35 miles/week range and after my last marathon I just kept my long runs in the 12-15 mile range. So I'm in the market for a somewhat longer than normal training plan that doesn't take my long runs back down. Got any suggestions of plans to try?

FWIW, my first two marathons were both just under 5 hours and I'm looking to improve but not necessarily drastically. I like having a life outside of running. ;-)

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Don't drop your long run down, keep it up where it is and let the training plan catch up with you. The training plans are set up for those who are not yet running longer distances.

I keep my long run 15 - 18 all year long. That way I can be marathon ready in 5 or 6 weeks.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    long runs dont matter...If your weekly runs dont make up much then your killing yourself and setting up for injury bc of your long run. I am doing a Hal Higdon plan. I dont race...I am doing Intermediate 2. So there are 4 runs and a long run. My runs in the week have to be more or at least equal to my long run...
  • Hi there! Definitely don't drop your long runs down. That's a great place to have them, but I would let your training plan catch up. I always make my own plan... based on what I have going on. I typically would run 4 days a week, but some people prefer 5. I like to run more intensely though so I cross-train more. If you want to improve your marathon time you should throw some tempo runs in the mix and/or speed work. If you have one mid-distance run during the week, run it like you would a 10K... just get your legs used to picking up the pace. You'll notice your slow runs getting faster too. I'll dig up a plan I've used in the past when I get home. I was going to try to remember it but don't want to misdirect! My first marathon was 6:01:01 - my best was 3:57:42.... so I know it works. Good luck!

Shel
    MM #161
  • I agree with Shel!! The long run is the most important!!! I use the Jeff Galloway program which involves 2-3 shorter runs during the week and gradually increasing the long run. With your long run already up to 12-15 miles you would already be about half way through his 6 month marathon program. Using his walk/run program I have improved my time by 10 minutes on my half marathon. If you want to improve your time he has a specific speed work and hill work that you do during your shorter midweek runs. I do not work on speed so much because I really am happy with where I'm at at the moment, (I have only been running for about 2 years) but there is always that option. Good Luck to you!!
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    long runs dont matter...If your weekly runs dont make up much then your killing yourself and setting up for injury bc of your long run. I am doing a Hal Higdon plan. I dont race...I am doing Intermediate 2. So there are 4 runs and a long run. My runs in the week have to be more or at least equal to my long run...

I'm using the same program. It's very easy to follow.