Leg Cramps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
GB333
GB333 Posts: 261 Member
I got Charlie Horses before, but only when I wore heels and tromped up and down stairs all day or something. I had to stop cocktail waitressing when I was 23 because I got leg cramps each night after I worked a shift.

However, it's every night now regardless of my footwear or level of activity - and sometimes both legs - meaning I wake up in screaming, crying pain twice a night. I am about to start weening myself off Atkins because I can't take this anymore.

I take potassium, magnesium, calcium, and a non-iron multivitamin and multimineral every night before bed. I drink my water. I even stretch my calves before bed. I am doing everything I have read about in other forums, but I STILL get the leg cramps. Any other ideas before I'm forced to give up Atkins all together? I've never had anything in my life cause me this much pain. :( (Not to mention that I'm keeping my husband awake, too.)

Replies

• Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There is a reference to leg cramps and atkins on webmd.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/new-atkins-new-you-diet

Sounds like it should be temporary. I'm not doing atkins, but Ideal Protein which is also low in carbs high in protein. I have had some leg cramps early on, but not really any more.

You could also have something like restless leg syndrome. I have a co-worker who has this. There is a med to help with it. MIght be worth talking to your doctor.

Good luck!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Atkins also suggest drinking chicken or beef broth because when you start low carbing you lose alot of water due to the diurectic affect. The sodium in the broth helps with that and I haven't had any problems with leg cramps since.

If this doesn't help then I would check with your doctor.

Good luck,
    Anita
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Agree - sodium might do the trick.
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!!!!! That's what stopped my leg cramps! I take 2 tablespoons before bed. I know it tastes horrible but the pain was worse than anything I could stand!
    I researched on earthclinic.com and found many people swearing by it.
    It works for me! Cheap and natural! :-) Hope it helps you too!
  • 4gr8kids
    4gr8kids Posts: 20
    Options
    Low iron absorption can lead to leg discomfort. If you also have pink urine after eating beets or foul smelling urine after eating asparagus, you might have low iron absorption. Taking an iron supplement has cured my Restless Leg Syndrome.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am making a point to eat more salt (which seems so weird for me!) and we'll see how it goes!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am making a point to eat more salt (which seems so weird for me!) and we'll see how it goes!

When you eat a high carbo diet your kidneys hold onto the salt and you retain water, but when you eat low carb your kidney flush it out and then you can lose too much sodium. Which can cause a whole host of symptoms (light headiness, headaches, and muscle cramping and much more). That's why you lose a lot of water weight when first start a low carb diet.

Hope you find relief soon!!!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I am not on Atkins , but following primal lifestyle and aiming for 100g carbs a day.last week I had the most insane leg cramps. I had a lot of standing on those days, but I did that before. Unintentionally I went down to 70g carbs and maybe that was the reason.
    Good to know it is actually a c'mon symptom
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too, but stopped.
    I upped my magnesium and potassium, and drank more water.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You can also try Morton's Lite Salt which is made from potassium chloride. Mix that with regular salt so you get sodium and potassium. Maybe they aren't getting into your system enough in pill form? You can also drink low-carb drinks like Vitamin Water Zero to get your electrolytes.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Try APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!!!!! That's what stopped my leg cramps! I take 2 tablespoons before bed. I know it tastes horrible but the pain was worse than anything I could stand!
    I researched on earthclinic.com and found many people swearing by it.
    It works for me! Cheap and natural! :-) Hope it helps you too!

Similar to ACV - try pickle juice. Yes, it sounds weird to drink it, but it works for me! It's basically diluted vinegar, plus sodium. I prefer the juice from kosher pickles to dill pickles taste-wise, but both work. In the summer after a lot of sprinting (I play rugby), I would get insane leg cramps at night (that's how I knew we had a hard practice!).
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    And from a healthcare standpoint - it wouldnt hurt to inform your doctor as well. They may want to consider drawing labs to get a good picture.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Low iron absorption can lead to leg discomfort. If you also have pink urine after eating beets or foul smelling urine after eating asparagus, you might have low iron absorption. Taking an iron supplement has cured my Restless Leg Syndrome.

And I thought that was just the asparagus and it water draining features :)

Hey to Ozaukee Cty - Just south of you!