How to start the dreaded exercise

Options
swekmom
swekmom Posts: 28 Member
OK, I have been on MFP about 3 weeks going strong and have lost a little weight but I can't seem to make myself get in very much exercise. I think it's because everytime I do exercise I get so out of breathe and it makes me feel even worse about myself. Anyone else like that? How can I start????

Replies

• herbiedoo
    Options
    The hardest thing to do is get started. I have the same problem. The way I am getting around it is walking. I decided last Saturday, out of the blue, to get my sneakers on and walk the neighborhood. I have some hills and it wasn't so easy but I just took it at my own pace and after 45 minutes I was back and ready for a shower. I was very sore but felt accomplished. I would suggest not overexerting yourself at first. Get a routine that you like and then push yourself just a little more each time. Just enough to make you feel good about it. Anything is better than sitting on the couch so be proud of yourself for every little step you make.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Keep working at it. Start slow and each time try and do a little more. Every couple hours at work I will get up and walk for 5-10 min through the building and up and down the stairs. Every little bit counts. So you can't do 30 minutes, then do 10 min 3x a day. Find things you enjoy to do and before you know it, you won't be so short of breath. Good luck!
  • ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    I would agree with the past two posts. Start small. I think so much of exercising is mental. Your brain tells you that your body can't do it and then we quit. Push past the mental block and just tell yourself you ARE GOING TO DO THIS!!!! Even if it is a few steps at a time you are lapping the person sitting on the couch.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Getting out of breathe is a good thing. It means you're working hard. Reframe how you see your exercise experience. Start small and perhaps find a physical activity that you like doing. There are a lot of "fun" type exercise out there.
  • marty000
    marty000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. You just need to start and remember that some excercise is better than no excercise.

I've just recently started walking around the neighbourhood for 30 mins a day and trust me it wasnt easy. I'm a pretty big dude so at first I had to stop every 10 minutes or so to catch my breath but as the days go by I find myself being to go further and further before having to take a break.

Just start, go at your own pace but be consistent about doing at least some excercise every day and you'll be surprised to see how it slowly gets easier over time!
  • Mendham07945
    Mendham07945 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I, too, had a struggle until I bought a Fitbit. I'm not ready to go to a gym and feel that walking is the best exercise for me. It clips on to my torso and measures activity. I was doing about 3000-4000 steps per day. I am now at a goal of 10,000 per day. It is very motivating and it syncs with MFP.
  • ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    I, too, had a struggle until I bought a Fitbit. I'm not ready to go to a gym and feel that walking is the best exercise for me. It clips on to my torso and measures activity. I was doing about 3000-4000 steps per day. I am now at a goal of 10,000 per day. It is very motivating and it syncs with MFP.

That sounds really cool I have never heard of that. Where did you get it at.
  • maybebaby40
    Options
    Like everyone says start small- My first time was 11 minutes- now up to 30 or 35- on the bike.

It takes time but it feels great- the next day
  • ellimac723
    Options
    I really like group classes, but have just gotten to the point in my life where I really DONT care who sees me exercise. I'm there for me, going at my own pace, and getting a good workout. But there are days when I just can't seem to find the will. That's when I get some good music in the headphones, and just get out of the house for a walk. It's inertia, once you take that first step, the rest of the exercise is easier. I recommend just going for a walk, getting some music that makes you feel like groovin, and have fun. You'll start to build up some strength and stamina, and not recognize the person you were a month ago! Hang in there. It takes a daily re-commitment. Obviously you have a lot of people in that boat with you!
  • bj6886
    bj6886 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good advice posted so far. I started at home with a stationary bike / elliptical. At first it was hard to do 10 minutes. I was surprised at how out of shape I was. As of a couple of weeks ago I made the transition to walking outside. I love it. You can get a fitbit from a Best Buy or I ordered mine from Amazon. I made a "rule" to get up and move at least once every hour I am awake. I love to see the number of steps and my active time grow.