ultra low carb

Options
willnorton
willnorton Posts: 995 Member
I have been eating less than 17 grams a day (carbs)..... is that too low....having little strange heart pains...i already take a heart med for rhythm regulation.....please help...i have been doing this for 5 weeks...blood sugar numbers have come from 309 down to 83 today!....so confused

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The words "heart pains" screams go see a doctor to me! ESPECIALLY with a pre-existing heart issue. Please, please go see a doctor just to be sure that everything is okay and give you the go-ahead to continue.

ETA: 17g is close to the Atkins goal of no more than 20g of carbs per day for Induction, but again, your doctor should say that you don't have anything concerning going on that would prohibit you from going that low on your carbs.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well until you stick the heart pains in there it would be okay but you really need to see a doctor! Take care of yourself!
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Low carb can mess with your electrolyte levels at the start, which can (rarely) cause arrhythmia. This may be a particularly serious problem for you. For those without heart abnormalities, drinking meat broth everyday, or adding sea salt to the diet, is recommended, as it is usually caused by your kidneys flushing out sodium (and sometimes potassium), which should be replaced.

In your case I agree with the above posters: VISIT YOUR DOCTOR.
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    Ive been on low carbs (Atkins) for 6 weeks now, trying to stay below 15 a day and found it fine. Ive lost 18lbs without any real exercise and havent had any ill effects.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Are you "regular" in regards to bowel movements? You aren't eating much fiber.

You're also pretty low on calories for a man who is exercising. Your goal is 1900 and you are getting like 700 exercise calories and then only eating 1500 calories. I would shoot for 1900-2000 calories at least on the days you exercise, if not all 2600.

But heart pain is nothing for Internet strangers to diagnose. See your doctor!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Yes, Go to the Dr. I'm glad to see you upped your carbs a bit today.

You may also be feeling bad because of your BS. While getting into the range of a normal person is every diabetics dream the fact that you went from 300 to the 80s in a few weeks is a big drop. I don't know if you're a T1 or T2, on insulin or what (if you are on insulin you need to be sure you're really watching your dosing). I know that many diabetics get what is called a false hypo. While technically not hypo, your body is so used to being high that dropping down will cause you to have hypo symptoms which can include heart palps, cold sweats, shaking, mental issues etc.

I start getting a little bit shaky about 90 since I can't get my BS down to ACE standards although I'm pretty much hitting ADA at this point. I'm pretty much maxed on met but they are afraid to put me on anything more because of those 90s I can reach during the day. It's my fasting that stink.

I would up your carbs out of the range of having scary stuff going on until you can see a dr. Realize too, for us, it is a lifetime thing, not just a weight loss plan. We will always have to watch our carbs or risk rot. We have to find a level of low carb that is sustainable. I've been doing this for 13 years. Recently I've had to get a little more stringent. I'm 46 and have a lot more years to deal with this.