Agghhh some people make me want to poke my eyeballs out!

Options
RachelsReboot
RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
Why is it that we can't get through one single thread without some anti low carber throwing their two cents down someones throat. I don't ever post anything un-supportive on a low cal thread. I am here to be supportive in everyone's journey to become healthier but these people are driving me mad!

Replies

• IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    I dont post anywhere on MFP about low carbing! I have found that it is absolutely pointless... unless anyone has worked low carb, and has done the program correctly! (more veggies, etc) then really the perseption is that we only eat greasy, fatty, foods... Oh and MILLIONS Of eggs

Realistically.... Atkins/Low Carb is really good for our bodies, and I, Personally, DO NOT lose weight any other way.... I have tried, and all i do on a low cal/ low fat diet, is Gain or Maintain.... never a loss.

I stick to low carb, and my body reacts...

I wouldnt waste your brain space & time trying to prove the point that a Low Carb lifestyle isn't horible--- no one believes us anyway! lol

Just get your results, post your BEFORE LOW CARB / AFTER LOW CARB phtoto's :tongue:
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Rachel you know where I stand on this issue :)

Most people on MFP like the low-cal approach because it makes sense to them. Low carbing, as Brande said, takes calculation - in other words, you have to think! Most people on here let the MFP calculator think for them - and then they post 3-6 months from now that they're not losing weight (or they stall after like 20lbs lost).

I just don't let them get to me. I love my results, I love my diet, I can't wait to see what this does long term for me since I'm only 6 months in.
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options

Most people on MFP like the low-cal approach because it makes sense to them. Low carbing, as Brande said, takes calculation - in other words, you have to think! Most people on here let the MFP calculator think for them - and then they post 3-6 months from now that they're not losing weight (or they stall after like 20lbs lost).

I just don't let them get to me. I love my results, I love my diet, I can't wait to see what this does long term for me since I'm only 6 months in.

You will see those results , just keep on goin!! If I can go from 240lbs to 135lbs (granted that took 5 years!) then you can get to your goal as well!!!

I upped my ticker #, because the bigger the #, the bigger the"mental" challenge for me (Im strange lol)
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    I think low-cal folks hate on us low-carb folks because they don't think it's fair. They get up on the high horse of how disciplined they are because they eat rice-cakes and tofu, so to them our way of life seems like we must be cheating somehow. I can't explain what I'm trying to say very well... Misery loves company doesn't quite sum it up as well as I'd like. They deprive, deprive, deprive and we don't really have to. Our "diet" food tastes better, is more filling and less like "dieting". I think there's some level of resentment there- they want our lifestyle choice to be "dangerous" and "unhealthy" and "junk-science" because I think to some degree there's a feeling of "it can't be that easy- if it were that easy I've been suffering for no good reason". I would assign that attitude to someone who isn't happy with their low-cal lifestyle- there a plenty of people who enjoy eating that way as a choice.

Okay, that was all kinds of rambling... sorry!
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    I'm over 40 pounds down (was on fitday.com up until a month ago) - the first 20 was like overnight, I wasn't even restricting calories at that point, just eating everything that wasn't bread and spaghetti!

This diet is the real deal, which is why it's a no-brainer that it will be a long term commitment from me!

My goal weight could change - might be 145 instead of 150 - all depends on what the mirror tells me!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't let people who really don't know anything about me get me upset!!! People are going to think what they want too, so why spend any energy on those that aren't worth it!!!!

I have been put a low carb diet by my doctor since I have medical issues that are only helped by low carbing. Also I feel so much better eating this way and if I never lost another pound I will still continue eating the way for the rest of my life.

Take care,
    Anita
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think low-cal folks hate on us low-carb folks because they don't think it's fair. They get up on the high horse of how disciplined they are because they eat rice-cakes and tofu, so to them our way of life seems like we must be cheating somehow. I can't explain what I'm trying to say very well... Misery loves company doesn't quite sum it up as well as I'd like. They deprive, deprive, deprive and we don't really have to. Our "diet" food tastes better, is more filling and less like "dieting". I think there's some level of resentment there- they want our lifestyle choice to be "dangerous" and "unhealthy" and "junk-science" because I think to some degree there's a feeling of "it can't be that easy- if it were that easy I've been suffering for no good reason". I would assign that attitude to someone who isn't happy with their low-cal lifestyle- there a plenty of people who enjoy eating that way as a choice.

Okay, that was all kinds of rambling... sorry!

I feel the same way and know what you are saying. There are a few other factors that I think contribute to the hostility as well

1. They listen to "experts". Doctors and other groups that claim to know what is best, when most probably haven't even taken a really in depth class or research job into nutrition and the human body, or are just schills for the grain industry. If I read another post on here that starts with "I work in the healthcare industry..." I'll just deem it pointless. My personal opinion is that most doctors are idiots with a few good and great ones mixed in. Just because they have the title doesn't make them GOOD at what they do, every profession has idiots.

2. They listen to government. While I have personal feelings on why you SHOULDN'T listen to government, I'll just say that when it comes to food it serves the interest of grain companies, the USDA and their lobbists and friends to push a grain filled diet high in carbs.

3. People love to think that they're doing things the right way. I think that goes for us too, but the difference being is that most low carbers I know are just trying to be helpful. Why suffer or get NO results when you could be eating tasty meals, and loosing with much less effort? Like Shiloh said, they think that it CAN'T be that easy. I see a woman at work, for the last 2 years she's been dieting with little to no success. I see her eyeballing me in the lunchroom while she eats her reduced fat grains, cereals and sugary treats while I'm eating steaks and veggies. I've seen that look of hate at times when I've lost probably 10+x the weight she has with apparently no sacrifice. I'd tell her my "secret" but I'm sure it'd be met with the same "Low carb is bad and will kill you" nonsense that most people throw about.

4. We're supposed to feel bad about eating meat. Vegitarians and Vegans are "in" for lack of a better term, and you should feel bad about eating animals. We should all be vegans (though that would mean more of us would be fat and unhealthy IMO. I question a diet on which my sister was able to GAIN 100+ lbs and become constantly sick, but switching to low carb/Primal she's lost about 80 of that in less than a year.)

5. The concept just doesn't make sense. We've been told for 50+ years that fat will make us fat, that calories (not where the calories come from) make us fat and we should be constantly working out. On the surface that makes sense, until you look at the science and people that fly in the face of that. Those of us that low carb see the light and know that the advice dispensed by government on nutrition is just wrong.

6. And lastly, some people are just ignorant or stupid.
  • tarakay84
    tarakay84 Posts: 69
    Options
    I totally agree with ALL of you..

I have to say i'm just starting low carb... I started dieting Jan 1st. just started doing a 1200 calorie diet... I lost 22 lbs FAST ( like three weeks) BUT now i'm not losing anything.... So i've decided as of yesterday I would do a lower carb diet. I'm a type one diabetic and can't do a whole lot of protein, so my doc told me to not do any less than 35-45 NET carbs.. so i'm going to aim for that... I still think i'll lose some b/c it's way lower than what i was doing...

anyways, my point to all this was, that i saw a thread yesterday that a girl had wrote about low carbing and people were flat out MEAN! they were even posting rude pics and stuff!! i didn't get involved in any of that, i'm not on here for DRAMA! but really seriously, if you don't agree to something some one is doing, or it really makes you want to be mean, then why respond?? nobody MADE those ppl respond and be mean... just keep stuff to yourself if you don't like it or you disagree, atleast that's what i'm thinking!

So, with all that said, i'm glad to be part of this group, ya'll are all very sweet, helpful, and inspiring!! =)
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!!

I was 'one of them' as well.....losing weight on a low fat/high carb diet....but it wasn't until i saw 'Fathead' that it just 'made sense' to me scientifically. I would much rather remove all the processed foods, and get my carbs from veggies and some fruit, eating tasty foods that are high in protein and fats.........I have more energy, less 'aches and pains' than I ever did before!

I'm simply confused as to why people have to be mean/rude about it. You do your thing (even if it's wrong) and I'll do mine :)
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I know a lot of people are against it but each to their own and just accept that you can't please everyone. Its an open forum and they can say what they like but you choose whether to let it bother you or not. I usually just skim past these comments lol No point getting mad with those who disagree because you will have those who understand and agree. Just focus on them instead.

I think low carb works differently for everyone anyway. I thought I could eat more carbs and just focus on calories but it hadn't worked for me. I'm doing what I know will work best for me and sticking to low carb as this actually helps me stay within calorie (it fills me up) and stops my sweet cravings. They don't have to like what I do but its my body at the end of the day.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I find low-calorie requires a lot more work than low carb. With low carb I simply cut out the worst offenders and eat a small amount of the others on a day-to-day basis. I do very little accounting and end up losing or maintaining. With calorie restriction, every single food item I put in my mouth must be tracked to make sure you stay under your limit, a limit which may or may not even be valid anyways since our metabolisms are very complicated. And of course the more fresh foods you eat, the harder it is because you have to measure the foods. It is actually easier to eat junk food on a low-calorie diet because the calorie contents are right on the package and in MFP's database.
  • jasoe
    jasoe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are topics you must be careful about discussing...Religion, Politics, and Low Carb! People always have an opinion, and it isn't always pleasant.

it is nice to find a forum to find support!
  • LillyMosley
    LillyMosley Posts: 166
    Options
    I have no problem with not wanting to do low carb or not agreeing even that it is a worthwhile option but it is the tone of the posts that get me. It isn't necessary. People are not automatically stupid if they don't agree with someone, no matter what "proof" they think they have. One size does NOT fit all.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    One of my mfp pals asked me why people hate Paleo....I'm low carb and a natural food lover....I'm doomed in the forums- lol!
    I couldn't care less what others eat so i don't know why they get so upset about my choices!
    I'm maintaining my goal weight with no trouble so that's all that really matters....
    Good luck everyone.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've found the only way I cope is simply to not participate in the forums outside of these groups. It's sad, but I was just driving myself crazy reading all those awful threads full of mean people who think they know it all.

Remember that supposedly Chinese saying about waiting by the river and watching the bodies of your enemies float past? Eventually low carb will become accepted, then mainstream, and low fat will be discredited, and all these very vocal members will look like utter idiots. In the meantime, it is not worth the mental and emotional energy in arguing with them. Let them have their weight loss forum. I'll have a life instead. ;)