One year of eating paleo

Options
Zeromilediet
Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
Initially a choice to lose some weight, this WOE has changed my life. After decades of eating the SAD as healthy as possible--making bread, eating whole grains and home grown food, etc.--I felt things were steadily deteriorating ... yes, old age was setting in :-) Now, it's like the clock has been turned back.
Moving is easier, no more aching joints and recovery time when I work my a** off gardening, hiking, playing with grandkids, or working out is like in my 30s.
The belly bloat that seemed inevitable with age is gone; after a year of consuming homemade broths, my skin is great, even the cellulite is slowly disappearing on my thighs. There's no more low level anxiety and depression, and I'm so happy and positive most of the time it's annoying to those around me :-)

The only negative is there's no support in my life from family and friends who think I have some kind of eating disorder or psycho problem. I think the results is the only thing that keep the criticism at bay. If any of you here are just starting out, know that it takes time to get the maximum benefit from avoiding processed foods ... every day gets better and better, and I notice little things all the time. The things I thought were "normal" are not. Except in a world where we're encouraged to eat foods that are not optimal for excellent health. Yes, we can survive on grains etc., but we thrive on vegetables and meat.

So happy anniversary to me!

Replies

• purplerain011
    Options
    Happy Anniversary :) congratulations on sticking with it regardless of support. I hope I feel as good as you in 8 months time.
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary! I am sorry that your support system is lacking. I'm afraid my would be too if I ever sit them down and tell them. My sister and I are were known to get together about every weekend and make "bread of the week" and let me tell you we have made some pretty awesome bread with wonderful ingredients. Problem is I wasn't losing fat and my seasonal allergies were awful. Watery puffy eyes, every morning... that has gone completely away! My sister is the only one I have told and she supports me and my decision because she is a integrative nutritionist and I am a guinea pig of sorts for her! LOL! I am still recovering from a car accident which left me with a fractured patella so my hope is that when I can get in full swing again working out I will realize the benefits you speak off. Say come March 1 we can celebrate my anniversary. Keep up the good work you do in helping to educate us all!!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I now commit to making this post in 9 months :)
    Funny one of the criticisms I hear about paleo is that "it isn't sustainable for a long time"
    What b.s. it's a choice.
    I know several professional athletes that have been eating paleo 4+ years and they are in fantastic shape, health and top of their game.

Congrats and thank you.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary! And thanks for posting. It is good to read about your success.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Going on 3 1/2 months here and can't think of why I'd stop, unless I got smacked with a frying pan and lost my senses.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    missy.. ha ha ha - thats hilarious.
  • flickchick26
    Options
    Happy Anniversary! I've only been eating this way for 2 weeks, and I already feel so much better! Great job--definitely in spite of your lack of support. We support you!:smile:
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm so happy for you! I have trouble explaining my diet choices to people too. I know some "6 day creation Christians"- and while I think its OK they don't believe in evolution it makes explaining the foundational ideas behind the paleo/primal diet a liiiitle awkward. Keep strong! You know you don't need grain- "America's filler food"!
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love these kind of posts. Thanks for sharing the one year result of your journey with us!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much to all of you! For me it is now less based on the evolutionary basis, although that makes total sense to me, and more about the reality of the results. Anyone who contests the arguments in favour based on evolutionary biology, phytates, etc., but is willing to try it will have a hard time disputing the results. It's just getting past the intellectual blockades and established truisms about nutrition that are reinforced by advertising by food & pharma companies. Good luck to all of you starting out; I envy the younger people who won't have decades of substandard nutrition to reverse.

Warm regards,
    Leslie