Calorie Counting Questions...

Options
sarahmoyta
sarahmoyta Posts: 23 Member
Is my metabolism going to slow down if I'm consuming 1900 calories, then burning 1000 through working out?

Replies

• wynnn
    wynnn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    off the top of my head i would think yes. your body would go into starvation mode due to lack of nutrients which would make it store food rather than burn it. so even if your eating healthy foods your body will think it wont get fed again and store it in fat cells for later. so i would try to eat more if your burning that much. also helping your metabolism you have to drink alot of water, eat plenty of fiber, and try to eat around the same times everyday so your body constantly stays running b/c it knows it will get food and wont have to store it. hope that makes sence
  • sarahmoyta
    Options
    That's where it gets confusing for me though. I was under the impression that working out in and of itself stimulates the metabolism, so I would think that if you're feeding your body (at least 1200 healthy calories, spread out through the day, not all at one time) and working out it should raise the effectiveness, not lower it.
  • sarahmoyta
    Options
    Alright, I got my husband to explain it to me. I figure he should know, he cut a ton of weight and got extremely fit a few years back (he's a Marine).

Here's the explanation I got: "You should try to maintain a net base of 1200 calories, so if you plan to burn 300 through exercise, eat 1500. You aren't doing yourself any favors if you're netting well below 1200, because even though you'll probably drop weight, you're gonna feel like [crap] because your body is really draining on itself, instead of the food you're eating. It won't actually slow your metabolism, working out does in fact keep it moving, but you'll be more likely to cheat, binge, or just totally fall off the wagon because you'll feel pretty terrible. Bottom line, eat healthy foods when you're hungry, keep working your *kitten* off and the weight loss will come. Don't worry so much about counting calories."
  • wynnn
    wynnn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    exactly thats what i learned from my Nutrition class i had to take in college so eating isnt hard for me at all im on this site to help friends and have people to talk to about this stuff. i graduated with a bachelors in strength and conditioning and an *kitten*. in personal training. i just havnt goten my certificate yet to become a trainer :(