Weight Watchers...Whats Your experiences?

Options
After visiting my GP for advice and help on sustainable weight loss ideas, she mentioned the NHS weight plan of choice is Weight Watchers.

I'm just posting to see if anyone has lost their weight with this method or have tried it in the past.

x.x.x

Replies

• gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I successfully lost weight with WW in the past but their new plan is really not good. If you have a lot to lose and are eating a lot of unhealthy food it will work for you up to a certain point. However any plan that tells you fruit and vegetables are 'free' and uses a complicated method of basically calculating calories is probably not sustainable in the long run. WW has been very keen to promote itself to the NHS. Personally think you would be better using this site for free and restricting your calories and eating fruit, veg, lean protein and wholemeal carbs. There are some very useful aids on the internet in the form of plates with portion sizes on.
  • rachealb1972
    Options
    i too lost over 4 stone with the old plan but want successful with the new plan only losing 4lbs in 4 weeks and 3 of them were in the first week
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    sexyminxinthemaking Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    im following the old plan the one before points plus and im losing successfully. i think its personally wat works for you x
  • joelleh26
    joelleh26 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 stone on the old plan, but didn't have as good results with the new plan.... So stopped going. Using this instead :)
  • StarLady82
    StarLady82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tried WeightWatchers and did lose some weight but I just found that it seemed to take ages tracking points etc. If you just have WeightWatchers products it's quick and easy because the ProPoints value is already worked out for you, but there are a lot of foods that aren't in their books or on their online database, so then you have to work the points value out and unless you add it as a favourite item it doesn't store it in the database for future use like it does here. Plus the other thing is that you have to pay for Weightwatchers.

I've been using MFP for just over two months and I absolutely love it and won't be changing to anything else. I use the app for Blackberry so it makes it so quick and even if your out and don't have access to MFP because you know your daily calorie limit, you can pick up practically any food or drink and just look on the back at the calories, where as with Weightwatchers you'd have to stand there with the ProPoints calculator trying to work out the points value.
  • Gill_L
    Gill_L Posts: 69
    Options
    I tried WW a few years ago and did lose a bit but not much. I left as I got disheartened with it. Last year I lost a stone and half with slimming world. I found their plan a lot easier to use but again once I stopped going on went the weight. I have only been on MFP a couple of weeks and wont be going anywhere else as I have found more help and motivation here than either of those groups. Even when I eventually get down to my target I will be hanging around to keep me on track.
  • taxi_drivers_wife
    Options
    I help out at the weight watcher meetings. If you have the NHS vouchers, it is worth signing up to weightwatchers, I think you get 12 weeks of vouchers for free. I love the fitness pal plan, because you can track more easily with the phone app. You can only get the weight watchers app on the I phone, but you have to be an online member. If you have a blackberry you can only download the calculator app.

The ww diet is good, as long as you go easy on the fruit. Although fruits are 0, only limit yourself to 1 banana a day and dont go over your 5 fruits and veg a day. I hope this helps.
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used weight watchers back on the old plan a few years ago and I lost weight quite successfully but as people have said it can be quite a chore, especially trying to work out how many points something they don't have listed is. So for me it really felt like a diet and consumed a lot of my thoughts until eventually i gave up on the hassle and put the weight all back on! Counting calories is much simpler so it doesn't feel as stressful.
  • JulesKilvo
    JulesKilvo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Like others the old plan helped me lose over 1 stone but as soon as it swapped to the new plan I started to gain weight and it just was not working for me and didnt get much help or support from my leader. I decided to stop going and try and do the old plan at home on my own and then came across this site and it has helped me a lot more then WW ever did (with support and motivation) The weight is starting to go down again yey :-)
  • Sjvarley123
    Sjvarley123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hi, I lost a stone with ww ( new plan) and still go to meetings as i need the motivation of a weekly weigh in, and our leader is excellent and really encouraging. However..... i no longer follow the plan but do this instead. I find points too faffy and the fact there is no android app is a real pain in the bum.

What has been really interesting has been comparing my calorie intake with ww with this, and i feel i was actually eating too little with weight watchers. Since i have been here and have been gradually increasing my cals my weight loss has speeded up!

I think you just have to find what works for you. good luck xx
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW for 6 weeks (online). Then 3 weeks ago I found this site.

Personally I find it hard to follow the number of points I'm on already which is 31, this works out at 1240 calories a day. There's only so many days I can go being so so hungry I just wanna give up.

The first 2 weeks I lost barely 2lbs. This past week I have upped my calories to 1400, and I track on here and on WW. I'm well into minus points on the WW and yet just about every day this week I have been under calories on here. I feel better in myself and I've not been hungry at all this week. Now just gotta wait and see what the WI results are tmrow morning....

Also the forums...its really not for me. Very 'cliquey' is all I will say.

But, if you like/need alot of structure in your eating and want to go with a low carb diet then it will probably work better for you than it does me. My diary is open so you can see that I still eat and drink WW foods and still will even when I cancel my subscription next month
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I did WW about 7 years ago, lost 3 stone I think and kept it off for about 4 years. I think it was called Switch then, where if you weighed 10-12 stones you were on 20 points, if you weighed 12-14 stones you were on 22 points and so on......

I found it really easy, and so at the end of last year decided to join up again. Boy, what a difference! I just could not understand how I was going to successfully lose weight on the amount of points I was on, which was the lowest (28 I think, plus weekly points) .... the leader told me that I would... Which is madness when you think about it, as WW was saying that at my start weight I would then be eating the same amount of points as at my goal weight 3 stone lighter, as I couldn't go any lower than those points!!

Ridiculous. The first week I lost 6lb, the second week I stayed the same, the third week I put 3lb on. Too much hard work for little reward IMO.
  • indiepops
    indiepops Posts: 96
    Options
    in 2004 i lost 7lbs over a few months, on the old points system. its the same as any other diet really, ur just counting points instead of cals, but they have a good support system if u go to meetings x