Starting Monday, March 19th

Options

Replies

• tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had planned on starting Tuesday (skipping Mondays), but I think I will start tomorrow with all of you! I don't know if I will be doing the double workout because I also run and that might overkill, but definitely starting my mornings with the strength(?) workouts. As far as the diet, I can't have gluten or dairy, but *usually* eat fairly close to what she recommends the first week anyway. The rest of her eating plan has some good recipes, but I can't eat a good portion of them. Friend me if you wanna :)
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I had planned on starting Tuesday (skipping Mondays), but I think I will start tomorrow with all of you! I don't know if I will be doing the double workout because I also run and that might overkill, but definitely starting my mornings with the strength(?) workouts. As far as the diet, I can't have gluten or dairy, but *usually* eat fairly close to what she recommends the first week anyway. The rest of her eating plan has some good recipes, but I can't eat a good portion of them. Friend me if you wanna :)

I'm doing the Kickstart - kind of - in that I'm doing 2 workouts/day. On the days I don't have Zumba class, I'll also do the Cardio DVD, but on the days I have Zumba class, I'll use that as the extra cardio workout.

I'm also not doing the low-calorie thing. I will pass out on 1,000 calories/day, never mind even 1200!!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    TODAY IS THE DAY!

It's Day One, Week One, Phase One for me. I am following the Kickstart Week exercise routine, but not the diet.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a good night's sleep last night, so I wasn't able to wake up early to do the first workout today - which means i'll be doing both Workout 1 & Cardio 1 tonight after work. Looking forward to it and ready to see how everyone else feels about it too!
  • DMRN0125
    DMRN0125 Posts: 87
    Options
    Workout 1 is in the books!!

I couldn't sleep last night either but after completing Workout 1 this morning, I think it was anxiousness..lol

The workout was great. I felt challenged but not intimidated by the moves..my HRM says 235 calories burned.

After grocery shopping and really looking at the kickstart diet, I decided to not follow the meal plan portion. I am incorporating some of her snacks and meals, but if I were to do her meal plan it would be 100% unrealistic to be able to continue doing so to maintain whatever weight I lose.

I am looking forward to Cardio 1 after work and then quinoa stuffed peppers for dinner.

Have a great day everyone!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am starting today with the Kickstart, I am not a morning person so I will be doing both Workout 1 and Cardio 1 this evening. Wish me luck... I don't think I am going to follow her meal plan though because to be completely honest with you if my BMR is several hundred calories more than what she is having us eat without working out I don't feel comfortable eating that little while working out, but that is jmho. Good luck to everyone!! I am super excited and am aiming to finish this program looking and feeling good and here is to all of you achieving that too! :drinker:
  • adamb83
    Options
    I am starting today with the Kickstart, I am not a morning person so I will be doing both Workout 1 and Cardio 1 this evening. Wish me luck... I don't think I am going to follow her meal plan though because to be completely honest with you if my BMR is several hundred calories more than what she is having us eat without working out I don't feel comfortable eating that little while working out, but that is jmho. Good luck to everyone!! I am super excited and am aiming to finish this program looking and feeling good and here is to all of you achieving that too! :drinker:

I agree with ya. I could get by on 1200 calories/day if I wasn't working out - but with 60 minutes of exercise a day, burning probably around 500 calories, an intake of 1200 just seems too low for me.
  • Putsockson
    Options
    Just a question, but for everyone doing the kickstart and doing both your workouts back to back in the AM or PM, doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of the kickstart? I mean, it said on the commercial that your metabolism keeps working for 8? hours after these workouts, and thats why I thought you were spose to do it at two seperate times so it would keep working all day long. I know that's impossible due to some people due to schedules, but if I didnt have to get up in the AM that would be fantastic! Thats just how I looked at it, let me know what you think... Im on day two and ive come to find i hate fish and greek yogurt. =)

and anyone have any plank recommendations? my noodle arms just cannot hold myself up and my wrist/shoulders kill but nothing else. am i doing it wrong?
  • samsara700700
    Options
    I also have problems with the plank. I do a modified version. My elbows and lower arms are on the floor. Here is a link to a picture.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/ex/exercises.asp?ID=7

Hope this helps.

p.s. I also hate fish and plain Greek yogurt!
  • DMRN0125
    Options
    If the planks are too difficult, I would modify them. You can either drop to your knees or support yourself on your forearms instead of just your palms.

I think the point of doing the two a day workouts is to lose more weight the first week and to hook us on the program ;) But in all seriousness, I think it is ideal to workout in the morning and at night to maximize the amount of time you have between workouts and to maximize the amount of effort you can put into each workout. At the end of workout 1 I'm not beat by any means, but I doubt I could put 100% into cardio 1 right after. That being said, we all know that weight loss is calories in vs calories out so I don't think its too important.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am also re-starting today!
  • lmelgar
    lmelgar Posts: 18
    Options
    Hey everyone! My sis-in law and me just finished kickstart last week and today we officially start week one. When we first started we thought we where going to die because everything is at a much faster pace then her other videos. But now we enjoy it. Except for the cardio! after doign it everyday for the past week. I dread that video!!! but it makes you sweat which to me is a sign of accomplishment!
  • juliemcpersh
    Options
    My order arrived today, I might wait and start next Monday since I just went grocery shopping over the weekend and probably didn't buy what I need to get going on this!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Just found you all and want in! I started yesterday too but am not doing the kickstart since I go to the gym daily in addition to JMs workout.

I did 30 Day Shred last year and totally re-shaped my entire body~ needless to say I am a BIG JM fan!

I use a HRM for all of my workouts so I'm pretty accurate on my "burn" (which BTW was 142 cals for 30 mins-I weigh 205). I'm sure the Cardio will be more.

I have no doubt that I will get results with this program.

Good Luck to all!

Rosie
  • rosied915
    Options
    If the planks are too difficult, I would modify them. You can either drop to your knees or support yourself on your forearms instead of just your palms.

I think the point of doing the two a day workouts is to lose more weight the first week and to hook us on the program ;) But in all seriousness, I think it is ideal to workout in the morning and at night to maximize the amount of time you have between workouts and to maximize the amount of effort you can put into each workout. At the end of workout 1 I'm not beat by any means, but I doubt I could put 100% into cardio 1 right after. That being said, we all know that weight loss is calories in vs calories out so I don't think its too important.

I modify a LOT of moves in my daily workouts and your modification of plank is right on~ using your forerarms will get you the same result and is MUCH easier on your wrists!!
  • hartmom212
    Options
    I started yesterday too, and I am sore today! Getting ready for workout 2 in a few minutes.
  • adamb83
    Options
    Kickstart Week* Phase 1, Day 1

Thoughts on Phase 1, Workout 1:

While this 30-minute didn't burn as many calories as I would have hoped, I definitely like that the circuits work all different muscles - upper body, lower body, and core/abs, within the same workout. After the P90X program, where each disc was an hour of basically the same muscle group over and over, I appreciated this more holistic approach. Still, I feel I'll definitely need to add 30 minutes of cardio on these days, because the 250 calories I burned doing this just won't be enough.

Thoughts on Cardio 1:

This workout was only 26 minutes long - but it definitely blasts calories. I burned 323 calories, which is great for such a short workout. There were a couple of moves I didn't like, such as hot feet and running man, but some that I loved - like punches and suicides (I know, everyone hates that one but I love it!). I don't like that it's the same circuit of 5 or so moves repeated over and over again, though. I would much prefer four or five circuits of different moves in each circuit... I'm wondering if the future Cardio workouts will follow this pattern? If so - I will probably gripe about it, as I find it redundant and I can see myself getting bored fast, particularly when we have to do the Cardio workouts so often.

Overall - Day 1 went well. I burned 574 calories and subtracted about 90 for what I would have burned at rest, leaving me at 490 for 60 minutes of work. In a traditional 60-minute cardio workout, I would burn about 600 - so given that this was 30 minutes of toning plus 30 minutes of Cardio, that burn ain't bad at all! I was DEFINNITELY in a flop sweat by the end.**

*I'm doing the Kickstart Week in terms of workouts - but I'm not following the meal plan; it's far too restrictive for me.

**I did my workouts back-to-back today. Going forward, I plan to do 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening.
  • adamb83
    Options
    Kickstart Week* Phase 1, Day 2

Thoughts on Phase 1, Workout 2:

I definitely enjoyed this work out. I do like that these workouts are 30 minutes and engage multiple areas, rather than focusing on a small area for an hour once per week (as in P90X). There were some moves in this Workout that I had never done before (both during the workout and also in the cool down), which is always fun.

I find that these Workouts are a "what you make of them" kinda thing. If you push really hard, the Workouts can be super intense and effective, but it's also pretty easy to just glide through them if you're not making an effort. I tried my best to push, sometimes moving faster than the group, when I felt I had more energy to give, or upping my weights when something was too easy (I didn't do this in Workout 1 - probably because I knew I was doing Cardio right after). I used 10 pound weights for almost all of the exercises that called for dumbells, except I upped to 15 for the hammer curls. I started with 15s on the alternating knee raises, too (since they immediately follow the hammer curls) but found that to be a bit difficult this time, so dropped back down to 10.

I love the fact that there are guys in this program, too - although there's only one in my "hope for" body type (Omar). Kato is just a bit bigger than I would strive for, and the guy in the back is just HUGE - way beyond what I would strive for... still, it's nice to see guys engaging in this as well. I try to keep up with Omar and Kato, as far as pace and using weights when they do (and others don't), etc.

All-in-all, I'm appreciating the program, two days in. I've got Cardio to look forward to again tonight (I like that I can do a half hour twice a day, but I might ultimately decide to do them back-to-back, because why sweat through so many changes of clothes??). This workout again only burned around 250 calories, so on the days after Kickstart week where I'm only doing one 30-minute workout, I'll have to incorporate something else - I typically feel that I need to burn at least 500 calories per day from exercise, so I'll be adding either other workout DVDs, jogging, elliptical, etc.

Anyone wish that the program would have come with a Stretching DVD for rest day?? I guess I'll just stick with my X Stretch from P90X.
  • DMRN0125
    Options
    Workout 2 is in the books.

I burned 238 calories and I found it just as engaging as workout 1. I didnt find myself bored or wishing for it to be over already so thats good. For the past week I have been experiencing mild ankle pain so I am a little nervous about cardio tonight. I might just go for a long walk instead of the dvd because all of the running man, suicides and kickouts are a little much for my ankle.

I agree with you Adam, with my calorie burns I am going to have to add in some additional cardio a few days a week in order to get the most out of the program and yes, I do wish they included a stretch DVD for Sunday. That would be a great way to keep it low key and relaxing.

Have a great day everyone!
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I ended starting today, woke up too late yesterday. Just finished week 1 day 1 and didn't think it was very difficult, but I'm sure it will just get harder. I'm running this afternoon, so I won't be doing the cardio DVD today....I'll do that on days I don't run (every other day or so). Just curious, how did you log this workout? I entered it as Circuit Training. MFP says I burned 240 calories, but that seems like too many.
  • rosied915
    Options
    Day 2, Workout 2 here: using HRM burned 155 cals in the 30mins.
    Also did an hour of Yoga at the gym.

I love it, I just LOVE it!!