1/2 Marathon training advice

Options
bshedwick
bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
Need some advice.

Working on Hal Higdon's Novice 2 training plan for my May 6th Half. I have a 5K Race on the schedule for this Saturday with no 5k to actually run. Would it be more beneficial for me to just run a 5k Time trial at my house? Or would it benefit me to swap that out with another Long Slow Run?

(My LSR this weekend was 9.5 miles, and I already do at least one speed workout during the week)

Thanks!

Replies

• malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer that increasing weekly mileage totals is more important than incorporating a lot of speedwork in your workouts. But, that is just my opinion and what has worked for me in previous training.
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Thanks!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If I am understanding correctly, Higdon has a 5K race on his schedule and you don't have a race in your area?

If that is the case, I might do a 5K time trial on your own. I'd probably say do it as part of a 6 mile run. ~ 2 mile warm up, blast off for 3.1 miles and ~ 1 mile cool down.

Just my $.02 assuming I understand the question correctly.
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Thanks Arc! I think that is what I'm going to try to do. Use it as a time trial, but part of a little bit longer run.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I had this exact same problem and chose to race the race around my neighbourhood. I still ran fast, but arguably not as fast as a race would have pushed me. Are you English? If so, look for your nearest parkrun
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Are you English? If so, look for your nearest parkrun

Nope. I'm in Maryland.

Thinking I'm just going to try to do a 5k time trial as part of a longer run just around my house.