Errors in the meal plan?

Options
sdsmom
sdsmom Posts: 62 Member
Has anyone noticed anything weird with serving sizes or calorie counts in the meal plans? I have been enjoying my guacamole and pita chips since I got out of kickstart but I think it has been costing me a lot of calories! The recipe calls for two small avocados. I don't know about all of you, but there is pretty much one size of avocado at my grocery store. I've been using two and the recipe says it makes two servings at 43 calories a piece. Well an avocado has anywhere from 250-300 calories so there is no way that it is only 43 calories a serving. NO wonder I've enjoyed this snack! It's been costing me at least 250 calories a pop and I've been counting for only 43. UGH.

Replies

• theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i haven't been using the meal plan, but i can imagine how much that sucks. i would just start making your own "Recipe" on here for each of her recipes and modify using your own ingredients so something like this doesn't happen again. :(
  • sdsmom
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea. It's funny because of all the years I've been dieting, I've never just counted calories. It's always been points, carbs, etc. I've got some calorie counting to do. :)
  • SerenaLavette
    Options
    Has anyone noticed anything weird with serving sizes or calorie counts in the meal plans? I have been enjoying my guacamole and pita chips since I got out of kickstart but I think it has been costing me a lot of calories! The recipe calls for two small avocados. I don't know about all of you, but there is pretty much one size of avocado at my grocery store. I've been using two and the recipe says it makes two servings at 43 calories a piece. Well an avocado has anywhere from 250-300 calories so there is no way that it is only 43 calories a serving. NO wonder I've enjoyed this snack! It's been costing me at least 250 calories a pop and I've been counting for only 43. UGH.

Definatly measure everything. I have ran into this with several of the recipes. And its not just a little off but A LOT off. The chicken salad with red grapes and the tuna wrap are two that are for sure way off. I now measure everything and just build the recipe here.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    The quinoa crunch information is also wrong in her booklet. I input each ingredient individually into the recipe area and came up with only 93 calories per serving, not 131 like the booklet reports.
  • coquetona
    coquetona Posts: 185 Member
    Options

This one was a big one I noticed too! I knew it was wrong the first second I looked at it because of the avocados. I think they must have calculated the recipe and completely forgot to add in the avocados. I have been finding a lot of things are off and do my own calculations with my own ingredients. I calculated that one bowl of her guacamole was around 700 calories so it is about 350 calories for a one of her servings.
  • wrapabar
    wrapabar Posts: 36
    Options
    I haven't tried this recipe yet, but did notice a difference on a few of them. So, I also started logging it here like the others have done.
  • vai45
    vai45 Posts: 29
    Options
    I noticed a mistake w/the whole grain toast breakfast as well. It says 1 slice of bread for 2 servings? I cracked and bought the actual MYM Cookbook (that the recipes come from) and in there it says it's 1 serving.

I looked up the Guacamole recipe, it says makes 16 (2 tablespoon) servings. So 2 tablespoons is 43 calories!
  • sdsmom
    Options
    I noticed a mistake w/the whole grain toast breakfast as well. It says 1 slice of bread for 2 servings? I cracked and bought the actual MYM Cookbook (that the recipes come from) and in there it says it's 1 serving.

I looked up the Guacamole recipe, it says makes 16 (2 tablespoon) servings. So 2 tablespoons is 43 calories!
    16 servings for the guacamole? That is NUTS! You would think with as much $ we have forked out for this plan they could have at least proofed the recipes!
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options

i saw that and i thought, "seriously - a half slice of bread?!?!" i'm gonna have to go out and buy mastering your metabolism. i'm interested in the dessert section ;)
  • vai45
    Options
    There is no way I'd be able to stop after a few tablespoons of guac! Yeah, the desserts in the book look really good, especially the brownies. I haven't made anything yet....I'm pretty sure I'd have issues with portion control ;)
  • vai45
    Options
    I went through all the recipes and compared them to what's in the whole cookbook. Here are discrepancies I found:

pg. 15 Whole grain toast should say 1 serving instead of 2
    pg. 36 Green bean salad should say 4 servings instead of 2
    pg. 42 Cheddar and apple slices should say 1serving instead of 2
    pg. 45 Hummus and Guac should both say 16 servings of 2 tablespoons each

Hope that helps!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Did anyone find that the Blueberry Banana muffins made way more than just 12 muffins??

The only thing I did different than her recipe was adding in 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed.

I ended up having enough batter for 21 muffins, which considerably lowered the nutritional value in comparison to hers. My muffins would be more like a light snack than a full breakfast!

Jut curious if anyone else had the same issue with how many muffins her recipe made.
  • Bird23
    Bird23 Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow, this is really helpful. I started Phase 1 yesterday on a modified version of South Beach instead of Jillian's book, and I gotta say, these comments make me glad I decided to do a diet I knew a little better.
  • wrapabar
    wrapabar Posts: 36
    Options
    I went through all the recipes and compared them to what's in the whole cookbook. Here are discrepancies I found:

Hope that helps!

Thanks for posting this.
  • coquetona
    coquetona Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!

Thanks for posting this.

Ditto! Although as soon as I heard "brownies" I ordered the cookbook and should be getting it on Thursday. haha
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

16 servings for the guacamole? That is NUTS! You would think with as much $ we have forked out for this plan they could have at least proofed the recipes!

^^^^THIS^^^^^ We spent a lot of $ on the program and all the mistakes in all the recipes is quite rediculous. Love the workout but its supposed to be a whole program and that's not very helpful for the people that aren't double checking, which is a total bummer to have to do.
  • sdsmom
    Options
    Did anyone find that the Blueberry Banana muffins made way more than just 12 muffins??

The only thing I did different than her recipe was adding in 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed.

I ended up having enough batter for 21 muffins, which considerably lowered the nutritional value in comparison to hers. My muffins would be more like a light snack than a full breakfast!

Jut curious if anyone else had the same issue with how many muffins her recipe made.

I got 12 muffins out of these but the texture is very thick and I filled the muffin pan almost to the top. They don't rise much. I like these for when I don't have time to cook in the morning. They freeze well and you can pop them in the microwave for breakfast on the go.
  • vai45
    Options
    What methods have you guys used to freeze and defrost the banana/blueberry muffins? I was thinking ziploc bag...but not sure if I need to wrap them more tightly. I'm planning to make these tomorrow morning. Thanks!
  • sdsmom
    Options
    What methods have you guys used to freeze and defrost the banana/blueberry muffins? I was thinking ziploc bag...but not sure if I need to wrap them more tightly. I'm planning to make these tomorrow morning. Thanks!

I put each muffin in a ziplock sandwich bag then put all of the sandwich bags into a large ziplock freezer bag. I can put them in the microwave completely frozen for 30 seconds and they are ready to eat. Nice to have on hand for a breakfast on the go.
  • myeatman
    myeatman Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I put each muffin in a ziplock sandwich bag then put all of the sandwich bags into a large ziplock freezer bag. I can put them in the microwave completely frozen for 30 seconds and they are ready to eat. Nice to have on hand for a breakfast on the go.

I do the same as sdsmom!