Today was my birthday...GF cake...YUCK!

Options
TripMom
TripMom Posts: 102 Member
Today was my birthday and my sweet husband went to a local GF bakery to get me a birthday cake. It was a beautiful looking cake. When I took a bite, I asked if it was a spice cake. My husband said, no... It was suppose to be white cake with chocolate filling. It was pretty crumbly and IMHO it was pretty bad. I thanked him and I gave all four of my kids a bite of the cake. They loved it! Which gives me hope that totally getting rid of gluten and wheat in their diet is more doable than I thought!!! Yeah! My question to you is: are all GF cake that bad? Can I make something better at home?
Thank you in advance!
TripMom

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    You can definitely make something better at home!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do better.. Pamela's mixes and Betty Crocker Gluten free cake mixes are amazing!!! Gluten free pantry has good stuff too
  • csmrozell
    csmrozell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some GF bakeries are awful! I don't know how they stay open. I had a hard time finding a good GF bakery when we lived in the DC area. When we would drive to CT to visit family, I'd stock up on the GF goods from Dee's. But, check out your specialty grocery stores. Whole Foods, Wegman's, even Stop & Shop/Giant are constantly adding to their gluten free options.

I generally find that, unless you've got a great bakery, it's better and cheaper just to make your own. Someone else mentioned various mixes that are great. If you're really confident in the kitchen, be sure to check out glutenfreegirl.com. She weighs various flours to make her own blends, which can be a little overwhelming at first. But, I have yet to make a recipe of hers that I didn't love.

Also, many conventional bakeries are now incorporating gluten free items. I get a little more nervous with those because of CC, but it's always worth checking out.

Happy birthday! Maybe you can celebrate again this weekend with your own homemade cake. :smile:
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've used both the yellow and the chocolate Hodgson's Mill (http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/Gluten-Free-Chocolate-Cake-Mix/71518-02135-001_Group-1.aspx) and everyone liked it.

We tried the Betty Crocker GF mix and found it salty.

I agree with others, make it yourself.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I made a great homemade g-f cake this year for my birthday. It was delicious. here is the recipe...

http://www.food.com/recipe/one-bowl-gluten-free-chocolate-cake-209764

It is super easy. I used coconut oil in my version. But I am not sure that made it any better.

Next time I make it, I would add chocolate chips to the batter for some extra chocolate on a special day. Or use a fudge frosting. And the 7 minute frosting is beautiful and delicious, too.
  • Shadow87
    Shadow87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For my Birthdays I make my own-using GF king Arthur cake mix...probably the best tasting cake mix I've ever had, GF or no...actually plan on using that mix to make my wedding cake in November...their muffins, brownie and cookie mixes are also very excellent

Unlike Momof8, I actually can't stand Betty Crocker's GF mixes, they tasted like cardboard and had the texture of corn bread (which was really weird)...also the cookies were so hard that I had to throw a pan away, even after a week of soaking, cause they were stuck on so bad...but that's just my own personal opinion, if you try them and like them then more power to you! ^_^
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the BC mixes. I really like Namaste though.

Personally, I make my own. It's just easier, cheaper, and my cakes (to quote my son's cub scout leader :laugh:) are awesome. My Dad even likes them!

Get good flour replacement (like Better Batter). Nothing with nut flour, sorghum or the like. It should be brown rice, sweet rice flour, something in that vicinity (I make my own with organic brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour). Don't forget the xantham gum or guar gum (I always use xanthan). You need less xanthan gum in cakes than you do breads. About a teaspoon per cup of flour.

If you're dairy free, use shortening as a butter replacement - but remember to add water to it and fluff it up before adding anymore ingredients!

I use my flour replacement, and just sub it for a regular recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. My cakes are always moist, fluffy, and yummy :happy:
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

I'm a cake decorator and I do some GF cakes, but there isn't a big market here so mostly I make them for myself once in a while. Hate the BC mixes, blech. The cookies are average but the cakes just aren't that good. Namaste is my fav. King Arthur mixes and the premade flour blends are always good. Pamela's and Bob's Red Mill are good too. Beware that GF will never rise as much as a gluten cake, so if you might use 2 layers for a typical gluten cake, you might need 3 to get the same height in a GF cake. Unfortunately that drives the cost up, too.

If you make your own follow the rule of 3s and have 3 different types of flour, NEVER just one. If you look at a GF product and it has only rice flour, put it down and walk away!

Also just from my own experience, the less you eat gluten, the less you will notice the taste difference. When I first started GF I couldn't believe how bad the frozen bread was. Now it's not so bad (still not great, my homemade is much better). Now 3 years in, I don't remember the taste of gluten as much, so in comparison, the GF isn't so bad. It will get better in time.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do better.. Pamela's mixes and Betty Crocker Gluten free cake mixes are amazing!!! Gluten free pantry has good stuff too

Seriously! The Betty Crocker GF cake mix is a staple in our home. My husband is NOT GF and this is one of the few GF foods that he doesn't mind helping me finish. I've made cupcakes and served them to my non-GF friends at parties. They've gotten rave reviews. : )

We either use "regular" frosting in the tub or I'll go old school with a stick of butter, vanilla extract, and some confectioner's sugar. (It's either all of the chemicals in the packaged stuff or fat and sugar in the homemade. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, as far as unhealthy goes...)
  • simonjomike
    Options
    Hello Happy Birthday

You can go to Bobs Mill and get a fantastic chocolate or vanilla cake mix.
    They are moist and well needless to say bad for the diet. Use your favorite frosting. you can get them at walmart, natural food stores, wegmans. etc

Jo
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!!
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the BC mixes. I really like Namaste though.

Personally, I make my own. It's just easier, cheaper, and my cakes (to quote my son's cub scout leader :laugh:) are awesome. My Dad even likes them!

Get good flour replacement (like Better Batter). Nothing with nut flour, sorghum or the like. It should be brown rice, sweet rice flour, something in that vicinity (I make my own with organic brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour). Don't forget the xantham gum or guar gum (I always use xanthan). You need less xanthan gum in cakes than you do breads. About a teaspoon per cup of flour.

I use my flour replacement, and just sub it for a regular recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. My cakes are always moist, fluffy, and yummy :happy:

Betty Crocker mixes are OK, but there are definitely better ones. Home made is best though I've had plenty of disasters, too!
    Like the above post, I don't like sorghum in my baked goods - it really upsets my stomach - however ALMOND MEAL / ALMOND FLOUR or HAZELNUT meal/flour is FANTASTIC in cakes and cookies!! I was taught many delicious cookie and cake recipes in Austria and Sweden using nut flours - scrumptious and nutritious (for sweets)!

Most shortening is very unhealthy. Coconut oil, ghee (casein free though not dairy free) and even olive oil are all good alternatives, though the olive oil takes some getting used to.

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience on your birthday. Gluten free baking is such an unpredictable adventure! Good luck on finding or making baked goods that you love! and Happy birthday! :)
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    We tend to not go for traditional stuff..So I would turn more to Cheesecake, Flourless Chocolate cake, Ice Cream cake etc etc..Also do a chocolate chip cookie cake..

You could for sure make something better if what you had was awful and he probably paid alot for it! You will have to play around with mixes and making them. Sometimes adding a bit of applesauce will help keep them moist. Or go with a peanut butter cake to add some pb to it..Things like that.
  • CPReaves
    CPReaves Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I make all of my own cakes from scratch. I have found amazing bundt cake recipes (cinnamon, lemon, and chocolate chip). I have a really good yellow cake I also found on the internet. I use that one to make birthday iced cakes, strawberry shortcake, a peach-whipped topping cake, etc. I also found a carrot cake recipe somewhere that my family tells me is amazing, but I wouldn't know because I refuse to eat carrot cake. Recently I made an applesauce cake for my dad's birthday with a cinnamon cream cheese icing, which got rave reviews from everyone. Since I started baking my GF cakes, I have to bake for everyone's birthdays, not just so that my kids will have something to eat, but everyone loves them more than gluten cakes. My oldest niece begged me to make her cake for her 12th birthday party, and I felt so honored. She loves everything I bake, and she is not gluten free.

So search the blogs out there! There are some really amazing cakes if you take the time to search them out. I find that the ones from the blogs are always better than the ones on "recipe" websites.
  • Meaghan685
    Meaghan685 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a GF bakery/cafe in my area that I love. They have great cupcakes, brownies, cookies, lasagna, pizza, chicken tenders... so I ordered a cake from them last year for my birthday. Despite the fact that the cupcakes are amazing, the cake was not so great. It wasn't bad, just not up to my distinguishing tastes.

I like the BC devils' food cake mix, but add 1/4 cup of chocolate pudding mix. It makes it come out moist and extra tasty, not so dense either. This tip works with all gluten free cake mixes actually, it comes from the Cake Doctor, a cook book author who has focused on making cake mixes taste even better and more like homemade. She put out a book called The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free which has lots of tips for making cakes and the like with doctored up mixes.
  • lynneruth
    lynneruth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I havent tried any cake mixes yet, but I did try a name brand gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix and didnt like it very much. The taste was a little odd, and the texture was so dry and crumbly it was hard to eat them, they fell apart in my hands and I ended up eating the crumbs off the plate with a spoon. And gluten free mixes are very expensive. So is gluten free bread, 6.00 or more for a very small loaf. I tried 2 brands that were totally without flavor at all, and 1 that tasted fairly good, but had that same crumble texture. I tried making toast with it and it all fell into pieces in the toaster, and sandwiches fall apart in your hands when you bite into them. I have just given up ever having any bread or baked good completely, they are not worth the added price. After 5 months of eating gluten free I find I dont even miss them anymore. I found 2 kinds of crackers that are ok, but again, very costly compared to regular saltines, and 1 brand of penne pasta that I like. Otherwise I just do without and eat other things. I make what I call sandwich rolls, I roll some turkey or chicken deli meat around an avocado slice and then roll a slice of cheese around the outside and eat it just like that. And I try to just have rice or potatoes and forget about pasta.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've had GF cake that was so yummy...that I overate it. Couldn't tell the difference. Consequently, I make visits to the GF bakery *very* occasionally :wink:

Depends on the baker and the cake. Yes, you can make good GF stuff at home (and if you have kids, that's probably the way to go), but you can *always* make yummy stuff at home. You just don't always feel like it.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I make gluten free cupcakes that are DELICIOUS and moist. I couldn't really tell the difference between normal cupcakes that had cream filling and those.

I plan on trying cakes soon too!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I made GF chocolate cupcakes with salted caramel frosting for my son's birthday this year. The recipe I used was a little on the dry side so the next time I made them I added some sour cream and they moistened right up. I also like to use moistening syrups on my cakes (mostly for flavor bit they do add moisture.) I make my cakes from scratch and people can't tell they're GF.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I'm worried about this too with my birthday coming up (okay, I'll be whiney about it: I don't wanna make my own cake, I wanna have a cake from a bakery!) I'm going to go to a place nearby work that does GF baked goods and give them a try (a pre-test I guess you could say.) My first GF cupcake will always (probably) be the best, I was in Washington (state) last year for a training class, my hotel was near a mall so I walked over to wander around for some exercise and found a cupcake shop called Pinkabella's I was getting ready to walk by when I saw the sign that they had GF. I had THE BEST chocolate cupcake with salted caramel frosting, I couldn't even tell that it was GF (granted it had been a long time since I'd had any cake/cupcake) I was so disappointed to find out that they don't ship....