following the nutrition plan

Options
osualex
osualex Posts: 409 Member
Is anyone following it? I tried for a few days, but getting 50% of calories from protein is not only difficult, but EXPENSIVE! I can't afford to buy a carton of eggs and a pack of chicken breasts every day just to meet my protein needs, and I don't live in an area where I can buy protein powder or egg substitute. Right now I'm doing a 40/30/30 split with the 40 being carbs and I'm seeing results...not infomercial results, but results nonetheless. What about you guys? Any tips for getting in more protein easily and cheaply?

Replies

• mkgirl
    mkgirl Posts: 25
    Options
    you can order protein powder online. If you live close to a store that carries bulk foods then they might have protein powder in bulk which is usually more reasonable.
  • sarahmoyta
    sarahmoyta Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not following it simply because I have to have more fats in my diet because I'm breastfeeding. I get them from healthy sources (fish, nuts, etc) but I can't do exactly what they say. I am eating a much higher amount of protein in comparison to carbs/fats, but like you, mine it much more balanced.
  • dezwark
    dezwark Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    do u have a walmart? that is where i got my powder and it was only $9.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    These are good suggestions but I really CAN'T get protein powder unless someone sends it to me! I live in a small town in the middle of Eastern Europe and it is nowhere to be found, at least not within 100 kilometers. I might try increasing the amount of eggs I eat...it's just so tricky with the percentages in the nutrition plan, it's nearly impossible to find pure protein with no fat or carbs unless I eat nothing but chicken breasts, tuna, and egg whites...which I was doing for a while and really got sick of it :-\ If my results really stall, I'll have to go back to that, I guess
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think getting 50% of calories from protein WITHOUT protein powder is simply impossible. The above poster mentioned ordering it online, can you do that?
  • Rachel5K
    Rachel5K Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time eating enough protein as well, but I'll tell you, I wouldn't go a day without egg whites; they are a huge boost in the protein with very few calories and MAN they are filling. I was going to eat tuna daily as well until I realized how much mercury I would be consuming as well. Do your research, there are always options out there. Keep in mind beans and tofu are a good source as well. Limiting carbs has never been my forte, but I am doing what I can. Remember, there is only four weeks of this. It WILL get easier! And just think of how good you will feel knowing you've done it!