New to the group *and* this way of life

Options
sunnyrunner77
sunnyrunner77 Posts: 47 Member
Hello all! Thanks for starting a group like this, because I've got all sorts of questions! I was thrust into menopause about 8 weeks ago, when after several years of issues, I had a total hysterectomy and double oophorectomy at age 34. I'm at peace with the situation emotionally, have never had a desire to have children, and there are some definite benefits to removal of the hormone factory. But of course, I also have to face the pitfalls. I have about 40 pounds that I'd like to lose, and am concerned about the ramifications this will have on my ability to lose weight. I've had success in the past - dropped the same 40 pounds about 4 years ago - but it's baaaaaack, and I"m afraid it'll be more stubborn this go-around. I look forward to the conversation and support in this group, and hope you won't mind some occasional off-the-wall questions, such as:
- where did my former bowel regularity go?!
- is there anything that I should be trying to supplement nutritionally now that I'm in menopause?
- people say that a few abdominal surgeries means no more ab muscles - I'd like to give the human body more credit than that, do I still have hope for a flat belly?

I'd also love to have some friends who are going through similar issues, so PLEASE feel free to friend me. Thanks again all, and happy losing!!

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had a hysterectomy w/ oopherectomy about 2 years ago. Hope I can be of some help

-Bowel regularity? What's that? As long as you're going once every two days or so don't be too worried.
    - Soy and black cohosh. Also look into HRT. Being so young the sudden loss of estrogen may cause a domino effect of things going wrong.
    - If I'm an example you'll be dissapointed :(

I've had some real issues losing weight but I've tried to maintain a healthy lifestyle. My body doesn't want to lose weight... at all. I'm currently going to see an endochrinologist for these issues and hopefully come up with some solutions.
  • MenopauseLady
    MenopauseLady Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the group to. Been in perimenopause for about 2yrs now. I've had great success managing my moods and hot flashes with natural alternative treatments. Found one I really like - here's a video clip if you're interested. It really does work.

Want 100% SAFE, all-natural herbal support for menopause symptom relief? Hear what these women (and even a husband) have to say about this fantastic remedy for hot flashes, insomnia, mood swings,…
    http://youtu.be/yGNA_1SlPco
  • 50nfit124
    50nfit124 Posts: 21
    Options
    HI!! New to this group.. I had colon cancer 4 years ago and with the chemo and radiation..everything was shot to hell down there.. so for about the past year or so I've noticed a huge change in 'belly' fat, water retention, mood swings.. YES it is menopause. I was diagnosed with the cancer at 46 years of age. Now being the big 5-0.. I simply had to do something.. I was always an avid exerciser.. but I just got soo lazy and didn't feel like getting out of bed. My doc put me on 'prempro' this past week. I am happy to report that 4 days in I have dropped 5 lbs!! Not sure if it's water weight or what.. but my energy is already increasing and the belly is going down!!! I surely hope this trend keeps going.! She did tell me that she will be monitoring me every three months to see how things are going. She also did a thyroid test because she said the cancer meds may have messed with that too.. will keep you posted!!!! :wink:
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    Hello!
    I have gone through menopause 3 times now, and this time is the last time, now that I have nothing left in the reproductive department.
    Here's what I noticed:
    -I was put on Estradiol patches as HRT because of my age. The patches work great for me. I had switched to oral estrogen and gained 25 pounds really quickly, and they didn't do anything for my hot flashes. So, I went back to patches.
    -I have a harder time taking the weight off now than in the past, but through preserverence, dedication and hard work I'm slowly able to bring my weight down.
    -Bowel regularity - it took me a few months to get back to something resembling "normal".

Are you on ANY HRT at all? If not, might I suggest eating soy and taking a multi-vitamin for menopause? One-A-Day makes a good one. One thing to worry about with being so young and in menopause is bone density loss. Strength training will help a bunch with that. I have taken a combination of soy, black cohosh, and valerian root (for mood stability). It has worked in the past, but now I'm on my patches, so I dont worry as much about that, and take an active women's multivitamin from GNC.

I sent you a friend request - feel free to fire away with the questions! :)
  • sunnyrunner77
    sunnyrunner77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thanks so much, new friend! I am on HRT - 1mg of Estradiol (orally) daily. No hot flashes, although my median body temperature has shot up a few degrees (more in line with my husbands', so he's thrilled), nothing too terrible in the mood swing category, but I've noticed weight loss is tooooough. My old self would've lost 5 lbs 2 weeks in - I'm barely at 2. I'm also taking Vitamin B12 daily, definitely helps with the energy levels. Appreciate the info!
  • CraftyPayne
    Options
    HI Ladies

I joined about a month ago and am enjoying being part of MFP .
    I had a Total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy about 8 years ago and in this time my weight has been creeping up.
    I weigh 35lbs more than I did before the op, I know weight changes with age and I am less active now as I also have nerve damage which limits me .
    I wish I could be in my 20's again when i could eat and drink what I liked and still be slim and firm ....Oh well back to reality .
    Feel free to add me . I swear this is the only moaning I will do .ONWARDS AND UPWARDS FROM HERE :o)
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    thanks so much, new friend! I am on HRT - 1mg of Estradiol (orally) daily. No hot flashes, although my median body temperature has shot up a few degrees (more in line with my husbands', so he's thrilled), nothing too terrible in the mood swing category, but I've noticed weight loss is tooooough. My old self would've lost 5 lbs 2 weeks in - I'm barely at 2. I'm also taking Vitamin B12 daily, definitely helps with the energy levels. Appreciate the info!

I just wanted to offer some *extra* encouragement. As of today I've been on estradiol (patch) for four weeks. I finally saw the scale move significantly so today. So don't get too down on not losing quickly, at least you're losing!
  • okidoke
    okidoke Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi all. Three months ago I had a total hysterectomy and my ovaries removed. I can't take HRT due to medical issues. I'm beyond shocked at how much surgical menopause has changed my whole self. I wonder how differently I would feel if I could take HRT. I do know that acupuncture has really saved me. I was having detox-like symptoms that were unbearable and now I have normal hot flashes and sleep through the night. I just tell you this in case it can help you. Still so many things are different.
    I am starting this weight loss journey with a new body and was shocked to have gained 6 pounds last month. Wow. So here I am. New me. New diet needs.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    welcome I have drug incuded Menopause had Breast Cancer at 42 Radiation Chemo then Tamoxifen for two years and now on Femarra. So I get the double whammy side effects from the Femarra plus syptoms of menopause.

I can't take the estrogen therapies my tumor was estrogen receptive.
  • lakebreezewi
    lakebreezewi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Found out this week (March 2012) that as a result of an Oct 2011 Hysterectomy I'm now officall in POST Menopause at age 46. No replacement therapy recommend yet - hoping to speak with doc this coming week to learn more of the new "condition" What I do know is since my surgery 5 months ago I've put on almost 30 pounds :(

I continue to eat healthy and exercise as much as I can (this has been greatly reduced due to surgerical recovery and some major fatiuge issues) but still manage to teach 14 exercise sessions each week. Pre suregery I would teach 14-20 classes a week AND get in at least 1-2 hours of my own workouts at least 5 days a week.

Hoping to learn a few tricks and tips from you ladies and maybe share a few of my own as I learn what they are.