The Weight Spreads

Options
JustACaJen
JustACaJen Posts: 83 Member
Just want to vent a little... and I know my tall ladies will understand the best!! I have been on here for about 10 weeks... I have been busting my butt, working out 5-6 days a week, watching calories, etc. And it's working... I have lost 18.4 pounds so far! WOOHOO! EXCEPT.... It spreads. When I gain it spreads and when I lose it spreads. So 18.4 lbs down and no one hardly notices, I am STILL not fitting into smaller jeans (although my current ones are looser), I have dropped a few inches, but they are so damn spread out, it's not enough to effect anything major in my clothing department. At the end of the day, I could care less what the scale says... what I care about is how my clothes fit... and I would LOVE to put on a pair of my smaller jeans!!

UGH.

Okay - rant done. Sure some of you can relate. :)

Replies

• sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-7445058
  • JustACaJen
    Options
    Oh - And then last week, I took a new picture of my face. The one I posted on MFP I took after about 9lbs lost. So I thought - maybe if I take a new head shot I could compare the two and tell a difference. BARELY. And I think I was just trying to convince myself.
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hear you! Counting the weight I lost before MFP I'm down about 30 and I'm just starting to be able to fit into some of my smaller clothes. My problem is that I seem to be losing the most around my waist while my already ample bottom half stays the same so I don't think I'll be fitting into any smaller jeans some time soon. I carry most of my weight in the thighs hips and butt and this is only exaggerating the issue!
  • JustACaJen
    Options
    Ugh I hear you! Counting the weight I lost before MFP I'm down about 30 and I'm just starting to be able to fit into some of my smaller clothes. My problem is that I seem to be losing the most around my waist while my already ample bottom half stays the same so I don't think I'll be fitting into any smaller jeans some time soon. I carry most of my weight in the thighs hips and butt and this is only exaggerating the issue!

And my problem is that I am not losing hardly any around my waist or my lower stomach. It's TICKING ME OFF!!!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Completely understood! I've lost over 10% of my weight, and people are just now starting to notice my loss. It's very frustrating when so many people on here have goals to lose 10-15 pounds, and then they look fantastic. On me- that is not even noticeable!
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    And my problem is that I am not losing hardly any around my waist or my lower stomach. It's TICKING ME OFF!!!

Heh. Being a diabetic, that's where most of my weight went. I feel your pain.
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Oh ladies.. I wish I had better news! I have lost over 40 pounds now... and I am STILL working on my belly. Just stick with it :O) It will all even out in the end (at least this is what I keep telling myself).
  • JustACaJen
    Options
    Oh ladies.. I wish I had better news! I have lost over 40 pounds now... and I am STILL working on my belly. Just stick with it :O) It will all even out in the end (at least this is what I keep telling myself).

Oh - I know it will... I have lost it before... which only makes it that much worse... It has been gone BEFORE!!!! UGH!!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I've lost 15 pounds from my face and boobs. :huh: That lower belly/love handle area is so stubborn!!!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I just sighed aloud. SIGHHHHH.

At the end of it all, I'll have lost 40 pounds and dropped ONE SIZE.

It'll be worth it, but it's just so annoying sometimes!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same. I have lost 18lbs and it is barely visable. I have lost a lot of cm off my waist and only 1 or 2 off everywhere else. My belly and hips remain the same :( Something that makes me feel better is knowing that it comes off everwhere else quite evenly so it could be worse! We will just have to wait untill we reach goal.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am 20lbs lighter than my highest weight and i am sort if in a smaller dress size, im sort of inbetween! I can wear both the higher and the lower. neither fit properly. annoying! noone ntoices when i gain 7lbs or lose 7lbs which is really demotivating. I can't even tell! wah! People only started noticing when i'd dropped about 15lbs but it did come off my stomach and hips but not my THIGHS!
  • JustACaJen
    Options
    I have always said that when it came to weight, being tall was a blessing and a curse. You can put on 10 lbs and not even realize it. Your clothes can still fit, no one will really notice at all. But then again - that's probably why I got 60 lbs overweight - because it only FELT like 30. So by the time I really started freakign out.... it was so far gone.

Sometimes I envy the girls whose pants get tight when they gain 5 lbs. Maybe I never would have gotten here??
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    WEll ladies mine goes from the tummy and chest ( and lord knows I need all thats there) but hte thighs and butt.....................NEVER GO AWAY! if I can get these thighs to shrink i would be in a solid 14! but no they wont go away! although I must say i had to return my 16 Talls to Jc Penney to order a 14 Tall because after an hour of wear the 16 Talls were toooooooooo big! way too big! so for size nuts like me Worthington brand is our friend!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I'm amongst kindred spirits! I lost 40 lbs at one point and BARELY made it down one size. All this while my Weight Watchers leader was telling us that generally for every 15 lbs or so people lose a size. Very frustrating. And as others have said, because I'm taller (5'9") I carry my weight well so it's not as noticeable when I gain or lose.

I think I'll like it here. :-)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yep its the tall girl syndrome! I lost 56 lbs and only went from a size 18 to a size 14. It took 30 lbs to get into a 16 comfortably and it took almost another 30 to get in a 14. That SUCKS MAJOR BALLS!! lol I lose from top to bottom mostly so my upper torso is slim and right at my navel to my thighs is where all my major fat is...BLAH!!

So I started back strength training. Hopefully I will lose this fat as I do my intense cardio.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    WEll ladies mine goes from the tummy and chest ( and lord knows I need all thats there) but hte thighs and butt.....................NEVER GO AWAY! if I can get these thighs to shrink i would be in a solid 14! but no they wont go away! although I must say i had to return my 16 Talls to Jc Penney to order a 14 Tall because after an hour of wear the 16 Talls were toooooooooo big! way too big! so for size nuts like me Worthington brand is our friend!

Dillard's have some dress pants called Investments that are nice also and the longs have a inseam of 36". They cost around $30 to $35. Check them out.

I can't wear Worthingtons. I find they shrink after I wash them.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I too have the problem: 43 pounds lost = 1 jeans size. Being a mathematician, I figured it out. Ladies, look at the size chart below. It is based on the standard hip sizes for jeans/pants. Look for your current pants size. The number to the right of the pants size tells you what fraction of your current weight you would need to lose to drop down 1 size. NOTE - it assumes that you will lose weight evenly over your whole body, top/bottom/arms/etc, which I KNOW is not true for me....

Anyway, take that number to the right of your current pants size, multiply it by your current weight, and you will get an estimate of how many pounds you need to lose to drop down 1 size.

20 ........ .08
    18 ........ .07
    16 ........ .07
    14 ........ .07
    12 ........ .07
    10 ........ .05
    8 .......... .05
    6 .......... .05

SO - note the following. FIRST, the standard sizes are closer together at the low end of the size range than at the top end. That is one factor working against you. SECOND, a 250# woman wearing size 20 will have to lose 20 pounds to get to a size 18 - provided she is not pear-shaped!! - whereas a 150# woman wearing size 10 only needs to lose 7.5 pounds to get into a size 8.

Sorry for the bad news. :grumble: But we all knew that anyway, didn't we??? :cry:

And my final conclusion is this: Stand up tall, lord it over the shorties you associate with, because --- you DO work harder than they do.
  • JustACaJen
    Options
    I too have the problem: 43 pounds lost = 1 jeans size. Being a mathematician, I figured it out. Ladies, look at the size chart below. It is based on the standard hip sizes for jeans/pants. Look for your current pants size. The number to the right of the pants size tells you what fraction of your current weight you would need to lose to drop down 1 size. NOTE - it assumes that you will lose weight evenly over your whole body, top/bottom/arms/etc, which I KNOW is not true for me....

Anyway, take that number to the right of your current pants size, multiply it by your current weight, and you will get an estimate of how many pounds you need to lose to drop down 1 size.

20 ........ .08
    18 ........ .07
    16 ........ .07
    14 ........ .07
    12 ........ .07
    10 ........ .05
    8 .......... .05
    6 .......... .05

SO - note the following. FIRST, the standard sizes are closer together at the low end of the size range than at the top end. That is one factor working against you. SECOND, a 250# woman wearing size 20 will have to lose 20 pounds to get to a size 18 - provided she is not pear-shaped!! - whereas a 150# woman wearing size 10 only needs to lose 7.5 pounds to get into a size 8.

Sorry for the bad news. :grumble: But we all knew that anyway, didn't we??? :cry:

And my final conclusion is this: Stand up tall, lord it over the shorties you associate with, because --- you DO work harder than they do.

Hey! Thanks! That is cool! :) And based on my weight loss and size ratio several years ago, I think it is pretty accurate!! So now I have a goal :) Unfortunately - it looks like another 15 lbs before I get into size 12's. And then another 14 lbs to my size 10's. DANGIT!!!
  • JustACaJen
    Options
    Oh my! I'm amongst kindred spirits! I lost 40 lbs at one point and BARELY made it down one size. All this while my Weight Watchers leader was telling us that generally for every 15 lbs or so people lose a size. Very frustrating. And as others have said, because I'm taller (5'9") I carry my weight well so it's not as noticeable when I gain or lose.

I think I'll like it here. :-)

You will love it here! It's nice to find friends who understand the woes of the tall women... it's not all glamour and supermodels.... :)