Hey :)

Options
beccarockslife
beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
Hey guys, I've been curious about Paleo for a long time now and there are very little information in the UK about it. I'm just planning my shopping and am starting tomorrow :)

just thought I'd say hi, I'm very overweight at the moment, have lost around 40lbs. I've been bouncing around for the past year at that point and it's driving me crazy!

My man is joining me too.

I've seen lots of conflicting advice on the fat issue though = lean meat or meat with fat on?

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It is up to you - Fat is an important part of eating this lifestyle....I eat a lot of nuts, avocados, use coconut oil and olive oil a lot...I am partial to thinks like chicken, fish and pork where they are leaner to begin with vs red meat...

When I buy ground meats I don't buy the lean - my main ground meat is turkey and I buy the 85/15% rather than the leaner ground. With ground beef I don't eat a lot of it so I will spend a little more money per pound a buy grassfed - so it is what it is for that. My husband hunts so we do homemade deer jerky and sausage...

Bacon I buy based on the ingrediants (well more the lack of ingrediants) vs the fat content...I.e. I look for ones with no added sugar/nitrates vs worrying about fat content.

I think it comes down to what you like to eat...if you prefer leaner cuts of meat and are getting good fats elsewhere then buy leaner cuts...
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The basic rule is if you can find grass-fed meats, don't be scared of the fat. If you can't and are buying your meat from a grocery store, it's probably CAFO. Then you should stick to the lean cuts and ADDING your fat of choice to cook it in (coconut oil, grass-fed butter, etc).
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    Welcome I'm fairly new to this too, but I feel so much better when I'm eating this way...I know I've done the going off of it and the truth is I felt horrible...good luck!
  • beccarockslife
    Options
    I've been cutting down my carbs for a while and I have done some research recently that would indicate that my body type would work better / lose better amounts of weight on a 40% fat 30% carb / protein split. Seems to me that Paleo seems pretty yum!

We eat all organic meat anyway from a local farm so I don't see that being a problem, as far as I'm aware it's grass fed rather than grain but I will double check.

Thanks for your support, I use the search function but I have dumb moments too!
  • lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good luck and having someone there doing it with you makes all the difference in the world. My husband and I started it together a little over a year ago and it has changed our life. Welcome, the people on this forum are awesome and incredibly supportive. Get ready for some amazing changes! =)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting down my carbs for a while and I have done some research recently that would indicate that my body type would work better / lose better amounts of weight on a 40% fat 30% carb / protein split. Seems to me that Paleo seems pretty yum!

We eat all organic meat anyway from a local farm so I don't see that being a problem, as far as I'm aware it's grass fed rather than grain but I will double check.

Thanks for your support, I use the search function but I have dumb moments too!
    \

most red meat starts out as grass-fed before moving to a feed lot. Ask the people if its 100% grass finished.
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    UK meat is grass-fed in the main - we have fields of grass not corn over here!!

Organic meat will certainly be grass-fed.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    UK meat is grass-fed in the main - we have fields of grass not corn over here!!

Organic meat will certainly be grass-fed.

Interested in this. In Canada organic means something specifically defined as organic, and nothing to do with what the animal is fed. Could conceivably feed a cow organic corn and no antibiotics and be called organic. Grass fed is just that: the animal is fed hay/grass and nothing else--that to me is grass fed, and no antibiotics. I've raised grass fed cattle so that's my take. Selling a steer or bull to a feedlot to finish on corn for 3 months is not grassfed (to me). Raising an animal from calf to slaughter on grass/corn mix that's organic is not grassfed. Would be interested to understand what the word 'organic' means in UK.
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The Soil Association which certifies products as organic in the UK has higher principles than just what an animal eats, i.e. they must also be free-range. More info here: http://www.soilassociation.org/whatisorganic/organicfarming

Organic farm animals:

■Must have access to fields (when weather and ground conditions permit) and are truly free range
    ■Must have plenty of space – which helps to reduce stress and disease
    ■Must be fed a diet that is as natural as possible and free from genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
    ■Must only be given drugs to treat an illness – the routine use of antibiotics is prohibited
    ■Cannot be given hormones which make them grow more quickly or make them more productive
    ■Must not be produced from cloned animals
  • samand25
    samand25 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ive just started with this- even going to the butchers is new to me - when I asked for grass fed beef I nearly got laughed out the shop! lol, worst part is - Im a country boy!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    welcome to the dark side :devil: haha, feel free to friend me! I'm more primal: some dairy for me, but it is always whole fat dairy!!
  • beccarockslife
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys :)

I checked, we get our meat from Riverford (for the brits) it's grass fed until Nov - Jan and then it's grain fed during those months :)

I'm really excited, we had to delay starting until Tomorrow due to my kidlet being ill, but the little one is joining us too. I'm quite excited now!