metformin-type 1,5?

Options
stevodreo
stevodreo Posts: 8 Member
hi im on metformin. having been type 1 diabetic since i was 10 and been putting on the pounds my dr suggested to give it a try. it definitly helps bu has some pretty bad side effects. anyone else out there ? im brand new to myfitnesspal and have 73 lbs to go

Replies

• BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Stevodreo! I'm T1, also diagnosed at age 10. I've never been on Metformin or anything else to control BS levels besides insulin (I have been on Humalog for the last 10yrs or so). I have however, noticed a big change in my insulin absorption since starting regular exercise and dropping even a few pounds. I use an insulin pump and have noticed my total daily dose has dropped anywhere from 25-50% over the last month. My numbers are responding much better to insulin and my A1c keeps dropping.

What kind of side affects are you experiencing? How long have you been on the medication? It would be interesting to see how your numbers would respond to simple diet and exercise improvements.
  • type1foodie
    Options
    Hi Steve, I'm on Metformin (a brand name called Glumexa, not a generic). It reduces my basal insulin (or long acting) from 25 units a day to 12-13 [trying to find a balance still]. No side effects for me, luckily.

I've tried Symlin and Victoza also. Victoza is a stronger dose of Byetta and Byurdeon.

Erin
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I'm T1, too, and there are quite a few of us on this site. I'm like BeFitwithT1 and have always been on insulin, and also like her I've been a pumper for about 9 years and use strictly Humalog.

I'll send you a friend request because we can all use support and it helps to know there are others here with you!
  • stevodreo
    Options
    Hi Steve, I'm on Metformin (a brand name called Glumexa, not a generic). It reduces my basal insulin (or long acting) from 25 units a day to 12-13 [trying to find a balance still]. No side effects for me, luckily.

I've tried Symlin and Victoza also. Victoza is a stronger dose of Byetta and Byurdeon.

Erin

hi thanks for replying. iIt seems like youve tried alot of secondary meds. Ive tried symlin too but couldnt handle the nausia.(sorry my spelling is so bad) what exactly is glumexa? my side effects from metformin arent great so im willing to try anything my dr approves. thank you
  • stevodreo
    Options
    Well the side effects are diarhea nausia and heartburn and occasionally heartburn. i know weight loss is the key to everything and im sure my control would be much better. taking glucophage/metformin is a tremendous help with that. Not sure if thats good or not. im trying hard but have a long way to go and i still cant see the light at the end of the tunnel. BUT IM SURE ITS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS THANKS FOR REPLYING
  • type1foodie
    Options
    Glumetza (correct spelling this time) is a brand name metformin. It has less side effects than metformin or its generics. Maybe ask your doctor about it?

:-) Erin
  • antdaman725
    Options
    Most patients who start out on metformin complain of gastrointestinal side effects during the first 2-4 weeks, usually subsiding after that. I've seen patients however that never have their GI symptoms resolve. Doctors will most often start at a 500mg dose once to twice a day, and then eventually increase to 1000mg twice a day. The max daily dose of metformin is between 2000-2500mg/day.

There are some methods that are used to help reduce the GI symptoms (stomach upset, diarrhea)
    1. take the medication after your meal.
    2. request that your doctor switch you to an extended release metformin. Glumetza is an extended release metformin, but is more expensive!! There is a generically available metformin ER that comes in 500mg, 750m, and 1000mg ER strengths. A lot of patients that I've seen have benefitted from the extended release dose. The thinking of why it is beneficial is that drug is not released all at once but rather over a ~12 hour period.

Hope this helps!
    Anthony
    Pharm.D.
  • katecore
    katecore Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been Type 1 since I was 7, coming up on 28 years. I too have been struggling with my weight and insulin resistance. y doctor actually thinks that, due to my body type and family history, I am actually now both a Type 1 and a Type 2. Lucky me :) I have been on Metformin since August and it has made a huge difference on many levels. My sugars are a million times better, weight loss has been easier and more successful than ever, blood pressure is down, and basal insulin levels are also down. I'm loving it.

I did, however, have bad symptoms the first time I tried it. My new doctor suggested I start very slow, and had me cut my pills in quarters. I took a quarter of a 500 mg pill every day with my dinner for about a week, then it was half a pill for the same amount of time, then 3/4 of a pill and finally a full pill. I'm on 500 mg a day now and haven't had any problems. I feel great! I would definitely check with your doctor before trying this, of course.
  • letswalk
    letswalk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hi im on metformin. having been type 1 diabetic since i was 10 and been putting on the pounds my dr suggested to give it a try. it definitly helps bu has some pretty bad side effects. anyone else out there ? im brand new to myfitnesspal and have 73 lbs to go

I just joined this group so hopefully I'm not too late with answering this post! :) I've been on Metformin for a little over a year. I got really, REALLY sick when I first started on it so I stopped it for a few months. I restarted it and have been fine ever since. I think the first time I had the stomach flu as well as starting the Metformin and that's why my symptoms were so bad. (I had to to go the ER to get some IV fluids and nausea meds.)

As for Symlin, I've been on that for about 2 years now and I LOVE it! :) I do get nauseous if I go a day or 2 of not using it, but that goes away very quickly. For the first week I was on it, I got slightly nauseous, but nothing too bad.

Hope this helps!